Rev

Intellivision Amico E3 2019 news

Also, is that the final console/controller design? I'm guessing no.

I am assuming "no, but it's pretty close". The Amico release is 16 months away so some changes / improvements might occur between now and then.

Console looks beefy as do the New look of the controllers.

But I'd like to see some pics of the games, or a list... or some opinions after E3. We're really hungry here.

If they are showing the games privately by appointment, wouldn't there be nondisclosure agreements involved.

If they are showing the games privately by appointment, wouldn't there be nondisclosure agreements involved.

Good point.

They could at least show a screen of Las Vegas poker 2019! 😃

https://www.gameinformer.com/e3-2019/2019/06/11/intellivision-plans-to-hold-e3-press-conference-next-year

Game Informer interview:

While hanging out at E3 (were pretty chill), we chatted with Intellivision president Tommy Tallarico, who shared his opinions on the upcoming co-op friendly console. But we dont want to speak for him; here are his thoughts on the industry and the state of Intellivision.

On the release of the Amico:

We're 16 months out. We're launching on 10-10, 2020, so our big E3 is next year, big booth with people playing 100 machines, and all that Next E3 we're going to be blowing it out, and you're going to be like, Oh my god. Itll be mind-blowing. Its something very, very excited. Well absolutely be doing an E3 press conference next year. This is why I want you guys to come here and talk to me. This isn't a Kickstarter project. This is the real deal. We have 600 years of video game experience on our core executive team. Six hundred years.

On the target audience:

If you think about it, there's 200 million hardcore gamers in the world. Were going to let Microsoft and Sony and Nintendo, and now Google, fight for those 200 million gamers. For us, there's three billion gamers. They just don't call themselves gamers, they play their phone every day. The reality is, theyre 55 percent of the entire $140 billion dollar industry.

On marketing:

When we launch, one of the big things will be getting this in people's hands. Thats super, super important. So mall tours and going on local morning TV shows where, you know, the moms are watching. Some of our celebrity endorsements are pretty huge. I can't tell you who they are, but it's people like Ellen DeGeneres, Oprah, Dr. Phil it'll be people like that.

On the competition:

Weve been working on this for two and a half years and we always knew 10-10, 2020 was our date. Were the only system that is coming out in 2020. Besides us is the Xbox, but they didn't even give a date. I don't think the PlayStation 5 will release next year. Maybe? I don't know. But the whole idea is that that's not what we're doing. They can come out with their $500 boxes all day for the 200 million hardcore gamers. Were totally fine with that.

• Like 3

We have 600 years of video game experience on our core executive team. Six hundred years.

With no disrespect to the Intellivision team, this phrase has been a pet peeve of mine (in my 25 years of professional video game experience :) )... only small teams use that metric. It means "we're a small team of veterans." That's not a bad thing, but it sounds silly in any other context. For example, just to illustrate the absurdity of the statement, when I was with Foundation 9, I liked to say the company had over 10,000 years of video game experience. Imagine Microsoft or Google using this metric: "...with over 800,000 years of computer experience..." or something to that effect.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Disappointing after bragging how they would be at E3 with 22 playable games that there is no info coming out other then 5 different color variations. I know it was behind closed doors, but c'mon! Don't go around talking about it if your not going to let any of the information or news get out to the people that you were bragging to.

It's still early, we could still see information of some sort from this year's E3 come out.

(I admit that i'm quite pessimist and a tough one to please, but the fact that the Ouya is the most "successful" non Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft console so far of this millennium and after the Coleco Chameleon and Atari Box/VCS fiascos, you can't really blame me. I'm cautiously optimistic because this one might be different, especially with Tommy behind it and no crowdfunding)

Key word:might

Edited by Pink

I fully agree with JeffVav on the notion of 600 years. If Microsoft has 135,000 employees - though not all are developers - and they have on average 10 years of work experience (a lot of junior people but also some truly veterans), that amounts to over a million years of software development experience and Microsoft was formed by a species of Homo erectus, since the Homo sapiens is not believed to have existed for more than 300,000 years.

• Like 2

Haven't been onto their website in a long time, but if you sit through the flashy presentation on the home page it shows different game cover art eventually like Toe Jam & Earl and 10 yard fight and a bunch of other games. Don't know if their site always showed these or if it was just updated very recently. Could these be some of the 20+ something games they were talking about? Or has the website always shown these and this is nothing new? Update: I just realized that thing on their website is their reveal trailer that they uploaded to Youtube back in 2018, so this is nothing new unfortunately.

They sure got a nice, flashy website (I like it a lot! Very nicely done!) I hope that slick presentation that their website has, I hope that kind of quality carries over to their marketing/advertising when this thing gets closer to being released in 2020. High quality, effective marketing is critical to succeed in pretty much any business. It's going to be crucial trying to launch a video game console.

https://www.intellivisionentertainment.com/

post-42460-0-51043000-1560416352_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pink

So far the website and their marketing has mostly been handled by Tommy himself. They have some very experienced marketing people on staff and a mult-million dollar marketing budget. I don't think we've seen much from them yet.

Edit: You can see a list of many of the old video games they are remaking in their oct 22 2018 press release. Still haven't heard anything about all new titles.

Edited by mr_me

More "Wait and see" from me. All sounds good, and I like the fact that he's dropping some big names for endorsements. Oprah doesn't just throw her name around for the sake of selling a product unless she likes it herself.

Still.. would be great to see pics and some videos of the test system in action.

With no disrespect to the Intellivision team, this phrase has been a pet peeve of mine (in my 25 years of professional video game experience :) )... only small teams use that metric. It means "we're a small team of veterans." That's not a bad thing, but it sounds silly in any other context. For example, just to illustrate the absurdity of the statement, when I was with Foundation 9, I liked to say the company had over 10,000 years of video game experience. Imagine Microsoft or Google using this metric: "...with over 800,000 years of computer experience..." or something to that effect.

I see what you mean. My pet peeve is when someone is talking about video games from the 1980's and they are referred to as "killer apps." They are games people, not applications! :dunce:

Edited by atarifan88

I see what you mean. My pet peeve is when someone is talking about video games from the 1980's and they are referred to as "killer apps." They are games people, not applications! :dunce:

Whenever someone says killer app, this is what I imagine:

post-37124-0-64519700-1560444545_thumb.gif

• Like 4

I'm sure soon enough we will be getting our fill of details and video clips of games and hardware ext for the Amico... Really looking forward to this..

• Like 4

You are the worst.

Oh, I don't know. Anyone who can demo Sharp Shot 2020 for 3 straight days deserves some respect. ;-)

Just kidding, of course. I expect the games will be great, and I'm excited to eventually get more details about the Amico.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/12/2019 at 11:03 PM, JeffVav said:

We have 600 years of video game experience on our core executive team. Six hundred years.

With no disrespect to the Intellivision team, this phrase has been a pet peeve of mine (in my 25 years of professional video game experience :) )... only small teams use that metric.  It means "we're a small team of veterans."  That's not a bad thing, but it sounds silly in any other context.  For example, just to illustrate the absurdity of the statement, when I was with Foundation 9, I liked to say the company had over 10,000 years of video game experience.  Imagine Microsoft or Google using this metric: "...with over 800,000 years of computer experience..." or something to that effect.

With no disrespect to you either... I'm guessing you've never built an investable company before.  :) The core team experience is absolutely a HUGE (and sometimes the MOST important) part of building a company.  You are very incorrect when you say "only small teams use that metric".  I'm also assuming you don't watch the stock market or read business journals/magazines/websites or the Wall Street Journal.  This is very commonly used when describing the core team... especially in newer companies. 

You then say that our statement is absurd before comparing the statement in a completely different way.  You assume that people add up all of the experience of every employee?  Yet even in my quote (that you yourself quoted above) I clearly said "ON OUR CORE EXECUTIVE TEAM".  So you are using numbers unfairly to make my statement look absurd.  Unfair and naive if you don't mind my saying.

So yes... our CORE EXECUTIVE TEAM does have a LOT more experience than Foundation 9, Microsoft and ESPECIALLY GOOGLE when it comes to the video game industry.  An average of 30 years per person in fact!  Something that the folks at XBox, PlayStation, Google and Atari don't have (notice how I didn't include Nintendo... because they definitely do).  Something that may have helped a company like "Ouya" as they were making major decision mistakes at the top.  This metric should be something that people look at as a positive and be happy and impressed about... instead of trying to use it in an unfair way to make me sound "absurd" and "small".

No worries, again... I'm assuming the "business" part of the industry isn't your forte... but I would suggest looking at it from a different angle and to compare apples to apples next time.

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/12/2019 at 11:27 PM, carlsson said:

I fully agree with JeffVav on the notion of 600 years. If Microsoft has 135,000 employees - though not all are developers - and they have on average 10 years of work experience (a lot of junior people but also some truly veterans), that amounts to over a million years of software development experience and Microsoft was formed by a species of Homo erectus, since the Homo sapiens is not believed to have existed for more than 300,000 years.

See above.  :)

On 6/13/2019 at 2:11 PM, m-crew said:

I'm sure soon enough we will be getting our fill of details and video clips of games and hardware ext for the Amico... Really looking forward to this..

Aiming for a big trailer in July!

• Like 5