Rev

Intellivision Amico E3 2019 news

Ok, so if your CORE EXECUTIVE TEAM (your capitals) has an AVERAGE of 30 years experience of video games, I think it would be more useful to put in the text. But hey, it is your company and you get to decide yourself how you like to present it.

22 minutes ago, carlsson said:

Ok, so if your CORE EXECUTIVE TEAM (your capitals) has an AVERAGE of 30 years experience of video games, I think it would be more useful to put in the text. But hey, it is your company and you get to decide yourself how you like to present it.

Uh....  that's exactly what I did. 

Buy hey... I get it.  It's an internet forum.  People will take snippets of interviews or things I said here and there and then give their own opinions on how the company should be run or presented.

All good. 

I knew what I was getting myself into when I entered.  :) Just here to chat with passionate retro fans like myself, talk about the Intellivision Amico and to hopefully clear up nonsense statements made by others with uncertain knowledge of the facts.

Mission accomplished.  :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

To be honest I'm not sure why a statement like that should bother anyone. My takeaway is that Tommy and his executive team have a lot of videogame industry experience. Cool. My hope is that translates into them having the knowledge to successfully launch a new system with fun games that we will want to buy and play. That ultimately is all that matters. 👍🏻

My $0.02. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

With no disrespect to you either... I'm guessing you've never built an investable company before.  :) The core team experience is absolutely a HUGE (and sometimes the MOST important) part of building a company.  You are very incorrect when you say "only small teams use that metric".  I'm also assuming you don't watch the stock market or read business journals/magazines/websites or the Wall Street Journal.  This is very commonly used when describing the core team... especially in newer companies. 

You then say that our statement is absurd before comparing the statement in a completely different way.  You assume that people add up all of the experience of every employee?  Yet even in my quote (that you yourself quoted above) I clearly said "ON OUR CORE EXECUTIVE TEAM".  So you are using numbers unfairly to make my statement look absurd.  Unfair and naive if you don't mind my saying.

So yes... our CORE EXECUTIVE TEAM does have a LOT more experience than Foundation 9, Microsoft and ESPECIALLY GOOGLE when it comes to the video game industry.  An average of 30 years per person in fact!  Something that the folks at XBox, PlayStation, Google and Atari don't have (notice how I didn't include Nintendo... because they definitely do).  Something that may have helped a company like "Ouya" as they were making major decision mistakes at the top.  This metric should be something that people look at as a positive and be happy and impressed about... instead of trying to use it in an unfair way to make me sound "absurd" and "small".

No worries, again... I'm assuming the "business" part of the industry isn't your forte... but I would suggest looking at it from a different angle and to compare apples to apples next time.

Thanks!

Hi Tommy, sorry my comment indeed seems to have caused offence. It was a general comment. I've heard this metric used over the years and it amuses me, so I thought I'd comment, but was indeed not singling you out. 

"Average of 30 years experience" is indeed a much more meaningful metric. Yes I was aware you were talking about your core team and not the whole company. Adding it up loses data at the least. When someone says they have e.g. 80 years combined experience you don't know if they're talking and 10 people with 8 years, 4 people with 20, etc. If I say I ate 50 burgers but don't tell you over what time span, it's not really useful info. 

No reason for ad hominem attacks though. Regarding building an investable company, again Foundation 9. I was one of the 9 founders the company's name refers to. We raised $150m from Francisco Partners. I helped build Digital Eclipse (#2 guy after Andrew when it was transitioning from Mac company to video game company) and I built and still run Code Mystics for the last 10 years. There are better business people in the industry, no doubt, but I'm doing ok. 

Regardless, let's not let a whimsical comment distract. I do hope Amico is a success. It's intriguing. 

Edited by JeffVav
  • Like 1

The discussion of "cumulative years of experience" reminds me of the Mythical Man-Month ... it's not about where you've been, but where you go with the experience. If time served amounted to all that, we wouldn't have such rampant ageism in tech. 

Semantics aside, good luck to all concerned with this, and maybe JeffVav will do a game on Amico. That would be two great tastes that taste great together. 

Me and Cmart have 75 combined years spamming  game forums!

Edited by Rev
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, JeffVav said:

Hi Tommy, sorry my comment indeed seems to have caused offence. It was a general comment. I've heard this metric used over the years and it amuses me, so I thought I'd comment, but was indeed not singling you out. 

"Average of 30 years experience" is indeed a much more meaningful metric. Yes I was aware you were talking about your core team and not the whole company. Adding it up loses data at the least. When someone says they have e.g. 80 years combined experience you don't know if they're talking and 10 people with 8 years, 4 people with 20, etc. If I say I ate 50 burgers but don't tell you over what time span, it's not really useful info. 

No reason for ad hominem attacks though. Regarding building an investable company, again Foundation 9. I was one of the 9 founders the company's name refers to. We raised $150m from Francisco Partners. I helped build Digital Eclipse (#2 guy after Andrew when it was transitioning from Mac company to video game company) and I built and still run Code Mystics for the last 10 years. There are better business people in the industry, no doubt, but I'm doing ok. 

Regardless, let's not let a whimsical comment distract. I do hope Amico is a success. It's intriguing. 

Hi!,

Your comment didn't cause "offence" at all.  Pretty hard to offend an east coast Italian.  :)   I was just merely pointing out that your summation that only "small" companies used those terms was incorrect in my experience. 

I wasn't attacking you at all.  I was only pointing out that using the words "small" and "absurb" to describe how we go about or describe our business is unfair and in my opinion must be from a lack of business experience.  You have cleared up that in fact you have been a part of successful business so the surprise of never hearing folks discuss hundreds of years of experience on the core executive team is even more surprising (to me personally).  But I was never trying to "attack" you in any way shape or form.  I apologize if it came across as that.  Not my intention and sometimes hard to understand the meaning of words written as opposed to in person... so I get it.

No worries.  Congrats on all your success.

52 minutes ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

Hi!,

Your comment didn't cause "offence" at all.  Pretty hard to offend an east coast Italian.  :)   I was just merely pointing out that your summation that only "small" companies used those terms was incorrect in my experience. 

I wasn't attacking you at all.  I was only pointing out that using the words "small" and "absurb" to describe how we go about or describe our business is unfair and in my opinion must be from a lack of business experience.  You have cleared up that in fact you have been a part of successful business so the surprise of never hearing folks discuss hundreds of years of experience on the core executive team is even more surprising (to me personally).  But I was never trying to "attack" you in any way shape or form.  I apologize if it came across as that.  Not my intention and sometimes hard to understand the meaning of words written as opposed to in person... so I get it.

No worries.  Congrats on all your success.

Hi Tommy,

Funny thing, I see now my words were likely misinterpreted. I wasn't criticising your team. I was calling the phrase "absurd" (as I have every time I hear someone use it over the years). You just happened to be the latest to do so, and so prompted the thought back to mind. By "small" I was just saying that the phrase also never makes sense for a large group, and gave some examples. 20 is not an inconsequential number of people for your context. I was speaking generally. 

Anyway, bottom line, no slight was intended against your team. I was poking fun at, as I called it, my pet peeve with that phrase.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JeffVav said:

Hi Tommy,

Funny thing, I see now my words were likely misinterpreted. I wasn't criticising your team. I was calling the phrase "absurd" (as I have every time I hear someone use it over the years). You just happened to be the latest to do so, and so prompted the thought back to mind. By "small" I was just saying that the phrase also never makes sense for a large group, and gave some examples. 20 is not an inconsequential number of people for your context. I was speaking generally. 

Anyway, bottom line, no slight was intended against your team. I was poking fun at, as I called it, my pet peeve with that phrase.  

No worries!  All good!

• Like 1

I dont know about anybody else, but i am drooling over the gold/woodgrain version... praying to the game gods i get a chance to grab one!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ArcadeJunkie said:

I dont know about anybody else, but i am drooling over the gold/woodgrain version... praying to the game gods i get a chance to grab one!

You are not alone my friend.  I love that version too👍👍👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ArcadeJunkie said:

Agreed.  That version, plus the black and the red are all pretty slick.

• Like 1