Jump to content
Kain3n

Asking opinions on controller mod ports

Recommended Posts

I will be modding my O2 to use Atari controllers and cant decide where to put the new controller ports. What is everyones opinion on putting them on the back of the console to keep it kind of original looking or to have them on the front of the console to be more practical especially if the O2 is placed in a cabinet but obviously

No longer original looking?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok well due to the lack of replies I have just added it on the front of the console like everyone else did not as nice looking in my opinion but fits in the display cabinets I use better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I was thinking about creating an adapter so I can use them and keep the console able to use original controllers if I wanted to.

 

This will be preference to each owner.  Do you want to keep it looking as original as possible, or do you just want function so it's easier to play ?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The ones which have the controllers hardwired to the console require ports added somewhere .. I will probably put mine in front for easy access and make them Atari compatible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wired in the male end of a controller extension cable and have it coming out the back where the original controller wires were.  Nice and clean.  Only caveat would be to use a vintage extension cable (or the official vintage Sega ones) because the quality of the wires was better than the newer ones.

 

Not done with this O2 - also did a composite mod and am now bondo filling the scratches etc so that it can be repainted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2020 at 10:27 AM, Lost Monkey said:

I wired in the male end of a controller extension cable and have it coming out the back where the original controller wires were.  Nice and clean.  Only caveat would be to use a vintage extension cable (or the official vintage Sega ones) because the quality of the wires was better than the newer ones.

 

Not done with this O2 - also did a composite mod and am now bondo filling the scratches etc so that it can be repainted. 

Nice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering other consoles of the day I’d say the O2 controllers were pretty good. Better than: Coleco, Intellivision, Atari 5200 AND 7800.

 

Call me crazy but I kind of like the stock controllers. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Airshack said:

Considering other consoles of the day I’d say the O2 controllers were pretty good. Better than: Coleco, Intellivision, Atari 5200 AND 7800.

 

Call me crazy but I kind of like the stock controllers. 

I'm right there with you. The stock O2 controller are actually quite good. I'm guessing that most who don't like the O2 controllers were exposed to the Atari 2600 controller first and because of that they feel that is "normal". As a kid our family had O2, not Atari. When I would play an Atari 2600 at my friends house I always thought the 2600 controllers were too stiff. To me (as a kid) they didn't move. The O2 controller actually moves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2021 at 8:16 AM, pboland said:

I'm right there with you. The stock O2 controller are actually quite good.

Another O2 controller fan here.  If you don't like a joystick with a large throw you're not going to like it, but I love them.  And they're durable too.  I've been using my original O2 for close to 40 years and its joysticks still work fine.  I've also bought a few other O2 systems over the years and all of their joysticks work great.  Compare this to at least a 50% failure rate of my C64 joysticks.

 

IMHO the biggest downside to the O2 joysticks is that (most) are hardwired.  Thank goodness they never break.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...