IGNORED

Neat little gadget..

Sinphaltimus

Picked up one of these. I sometimes get the yellow lightning bolt on my rPI for TiPi and always wondered if other USB chargers and such were really performing as advertised. Comes it handy. thought i'd share...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L6Y3IMK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

61-t7ubkLDL._SL1001_.jpg

• Like 6

Picked up one of these. I sometimes get the yellow lightning bolt on my rPI for TiPi and always wondered if other USB chargers and such were really performing as advertised. Comes it handy. thought i'd share...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L6Y3IMK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cool gadget. The yellow lightning bolt usually indicates there is not enough amperage being supplied to power the device. I have also found various USB power adapters that claim they are 2 amps not even produce the required 1.5. lately I have been sticking with the real raspberry pi adapter and have had no issues.

• Like 1

Yep. I purchased one of these to handle the rPi on Tipi and also use it to power the tiPi along with several other devices. But, I've seen the yellow lightning bolt still. Usually during boot up not during regular usage. I'm going to attach the USB power device to the connections this weekend and see what's going on. Possibly get a stand alone rPi PSU just for that if I'm skimmed the capabilities of this device.

Cool gadget. The yellow lightning bolt usually indicates there is not enough amperage being supplied to power the device. I have also found various USB power adapters that claim they are 2 amps not even produce the required 1.5. lately I have been sticking with the real raspberry pi adapter and have had no issues.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OQ19QYA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

51zk9hBKXqL._SL1000_.jpg

Edited by Sinphaltimus

This is not exactly a gadget, but, it's in my toolbox now.

I found this new tool for circuit simulation on iPhone: EveryCircuit. I was away from my computer and had a burning desire to do SPICE.

It is a totally candy-coated SPICE simulator, but, I'm not complaining.

Here are some screenshots of a driver with capacitive coupling. The circuit mocks up (badly) a video output of the V9958, in the range 2V-3V, being coupled to a next-stage (anything: encoder, amplifier, switch) requiring 1V peak to peak input. The app lets you play with all the parameters in real-time.
CCCircuit.png.5675d7027e286a728aea0101182e689f.png

CutoffFrequency.png

• Like 3

Just a quick thought on those USB chargers for power. Check to make sure the power output is not referenced to the utility input, otherwise you run the risk of introducing 60Hz noise into your device, or worse yet creating a path for full wall voltage through it.  I found the USB supply in my desk does not have proper isolation and when I was using it to power my nanoPEB I could not get good CS1 saves.  Had there been any ground potential difference between my TI and any device to which it was connected, like a monitor, etc., I could have sent harmful voltage through the entire rig.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Just a quick thought on those USB chargers for power. Check to make sure your the power output is not referenced to the utility input, otherwise you run the risk of introducing 60Hz noise into your device, or worse yet creating a path for full wall voltage through it.  I found the USB supply in my desk does not have proper isolation and when I was using it to power my nanoPEB I could not get good CS1 saves.  Had there been any ground potential difference between my TI and any device to which it was connected, like a monitor, etc., I could have sent harmful voltage through the entire rig.

I'm taking your cue and using a USB battery pack to power the TiPi or nanoPEB. 

For the Pi itself, I use a trusted iPad 1.5A power cable. (eevblog did a teardown showing the isolation in Apple's phone charger, vs the lack of isolation in a clone.)

• Like 1

On 6/19/2019 at 11:42 AM, OLD CS1 said:

Just a quick thought on those USB chargers for power. Check to make sure the power output is not referenced to the utility input, otherwise you run the risk of introducing 60Hz noise into your device, or worse yet creating a path for full wall voltage through it.  I found the USB supply in my desk does not have proper isolation and when I was using it to power my nanoPEB I could not get good CS1 saves.  Had there been any ground potential difference between my TI and any device to which it was connected, like a monitor, etc., I could have sent harmful voltage through the entire rig.

Not sure what to do about a 60Hz noise but for ground; would having the TI and all related externally powered peripherals connected to the same outlet eliminate that risk? Say for instance the same surge protector or UPS? I never really understood those things completely. Up here in the boonies, our homes are grounded on a common ground to, well, the ground, via a thick copper grounding wire from the house to the dirt. Or maybe I'm mistaken? I'm sure I am but would love to learn a bit more about it. As for the 60Hz noise, is there a tester for that? Or an easier way to tell for the average Schmoe?

Someone posted this on Atari Age Amiga group. I will have this come next bonus check (about a month out). Thinking of a custom TI to Atari controller adaptor that matches the connections on this would make for a cool gadget. I'm pretty convinced I'll get 2 may 3 or these kits (TI, Amiga, C64).

https://retro.moe/unijoysticle2/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, --- Ω --- said:

Power could come from the 12V connection on the back via a thru-connector... and an extra lead in the cable could act as an antenna.

That's actually brilliant. I never would've thought of running an antenna wire alongside the DC power wire.