IGNORED

Turbografx 16 mini

4 minutes ago, seastalker said:

I was unaware it could not be used for 2 button games.  Not having some mode switch was a limiting and odd decision.  I have read others say the Hori Fighting Commander PC 6 button works in both modes, so perhaps that one covers all games?

Also, I found this list of 3 button and 6 button games:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?273661-6-button-and-3-button-games

They have switches for 2 button mode and 6 button mode, and when in 6 button mode, III doesn't work as run or select. I had some weird glitching using a Saturn controller in 6 button mode with a 2 button game on MiSTer, but that got fixed when I changed back to 2 button mode. I do not know what happens with a real 6 button controller on a real PC Engine, though.

There is also no such thing as a 3 button game, though. Just that some games map actions to either run or select, which is why the Avenue Pad 3 is the best PC Engine controller, as it lets you decide if you want to use the III button as run, select, or disable it entirely. You can use a regular controller, but the Avenue Pad 3 gives you an optional extra face button of your choosing.

13 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

I think there is one, but only one: Forgotten Worlds. It was sold with the Avenue Pad 3 I believe. The worst part is that you can't use a 6-button pad to play this game in 3-button mode... -_-

Yes, I knew I forgot something! It was sold together in a pack with the Avenue Pad 3, but you could also buy the controller separately.

You know what? I'll go play Forgotten Worlds after I get home to see exactly how it works.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

I just realized something. Is this thing going to turn yellow in 10~20 years just like the real one? I guess I'll find out. I wonder if my Famicom Mini will do the same. Anyway, I never ordered the official shirts for this thing until now, and it seems they either sold out and are making more or they got delayed until April 30. Either way, shirts in 2 months, PC Engine Mini on the 19th, unless it shows up when I'm at work. Hopefully not.

I only got I think 15~20 minutes with it at TGS, so it will be nice to actually take my time to see if it's total crap like the MD Mini is. It seemed a bit better than the MD Mini does, although the MD Mini also was not released before TGS, so I didn't have much to compare it to. M2 did both, but we'll see. Maybe they even changed some stuff since TGS, but the Konami dude said it was already the production model when I played it.

• 2 weeks later...

The TurboGrafx-16 Mini and CoreGrafx Mini have both been delayed indefinitely due to the virus, but the PC Engine Mini will still be in your hands on the 19th if you preordered on or before the 5th, Japan time. Controllers and multitaps are unknown as of now from what I have seen. I'll still be getting my PC Engine Mini on time and I'll be putting my thoughts over in the official TurboGrafx thread once I get it on the 19th/20th (depending on when it arrives), in case you want to read my thoughts on it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2020 at 3:59 AM, roots.genoa said:

I think there is one, but only one: Forgotten Worlds. It was sold with the Avenue Pad 3 I believe. The worst part is that you can't use a 6-button pad to play this game in 3-button mode... -_-

There are a lot of games that make use of "3 button" or 6 button controllers.

I can't find vestcoat's list from pcefx because of everything that happened, but here is a version that famicommander posted on neo-geo.com:

If many of you are like me, you bought some new controllers to use with your PC Engines and TG16s. The SD System will open up a lot more games, some of which require (or heavily benefit from) more than the standard 2 button pad. One lesson I learned the hard way is that the 3 button games and the 6 button games work very differently. The 3 button controller actually just allows you to map either the select or run button (using a switch) to a third action button. It's very useful for games that mapped stuff besides menus to the run or select button. The 6 button controller works entirely differently. These controllers will not allow you to map select or run to any other button. The controllers have a switch on them to go between 2 button and 6 button modes, and you have to have the switch in 2 button mode or the game will go crazy. Here is a list I have compiled through lurking and searching on PC Engine FX/Atariage/Neogaf/other forums and my own trial and error. Games which map stuff to select or run (3 button controller games):

Forgotton Worlds - the only game that REQUIRES a 3 button controller; maps movement to select After Burner II - maps your Afterburners to run Air Zonk - select fires up rear thrusters to damage enemies behind you Atlantean - run button warps Dracula X: Rondo of Blood - maps item crush to select Barunba - select rotates your cannons Battle Royale - select + d-pad uses special attack Blazing Lazers - select cycles through your speed settings Bloody Wolf - run throws grenades or flash bombs, uses flamethrower, and dismounts motorcycles Cyber Core - select cycles your speed settings Download - select cycles your speed settings Final Match Tennis - maps the lop shot to run Final Soldier - select cycles through your speed settings Gate of Thunder - select cycles through your speed settings Golden Axe - select casts magic Gradius II - select uses power ups John Madden Fooball - run button passes Legendary Axe 2 - run button throws bombs Martial Champion - run button attacks high Metamor Jupiter - select cycles through ship transformations Ninja Spirit - select changes weapons Riot Zone - run button uses desperation move Silent Debuggers - run button fires secondary weapon Shinobi - select button uses ninja magic Soldier Blade - select cycles through your speed settings Special Criminal Investigation - select uses boost Spriggan mk 2 - select toggles through weapons Street Fighter II' - run button is your third attack, select cycles between punches and kicks Star Soldier - select cycles through your speed settings Turrican - select changes weapons Vallis III - run changes characters World Heroes 2 - run button is your throw/taunt button 

Plenty of other games map menus, inventory screens, or status screens to one of the buttons, so if you'd prefer an action button for those cases it can be useful there too. Or if you just want easier access to the pause button in any game. Six button games

Advanced VG Art of Fighting Battlefield '94 Fatal Fury 2 Fatal Fury Special Fire Pro Female Wrestling Kabuki Itouryodan Kakutou Haou Densetsu Algunos Linda Cube Majhong Sword Princess Quest Gaiden Martial Champions Princess Maker 2 Street Fighter II' Strip Fighter Super Real Mahjong P ll + lll Custom World Heroes 2 Ys IV

If anyone notices any errors or anything missing, by all means point it out. I haven't played every single game on both lists and am just going off forum posts scattered across the internet.

Edited by Black_Tiger

1 hour ago, Black_Tiger said:

There are a lot of games that make use of "3 button" or 6 button controllers.

Well, if I read correctly, except for Forgotten Worlds, compatible games just use the 3-button controller to map Select or Run to a more convenient button. But in the end you still got four buttons; both of the five do the same thing.

Speaking of controllers, I noticed something funny with a lot of 2-player games on PC Engine; you can often start a 2-player game with only one controller connected, and then you control both players at the same time with one controller. It's sometimes useful for shoot 'em ups (firepower doubled!) even though it can of course be tricky when ships get separated.

5 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Speaking of controllers, I noticed something funny with a lot of 2-player games on PC Engine; you can often start a 2-player game with only one controller connected, and then you control both players at the same time with one controller. It's sometimes useful for shoot 'em ups (firepower doubled!) even though it can of course be tricky when ships get separated.

You can do this with Salamander! It's not too hard to get both ships to line up together at the beginning if you fly them both to one of the corners on the left side. Might miss some of the powerups at the start, though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/24/2020 at 11:51 AM, homerj said:

I ordered one from Amazon JP last Friday & got it Tuesday.  

I ordered mine from Amazon Japan on April 24.   Seems they have sold out now of the TG16 version but still had the other two versions.   I got tired of Amazon.com delays.  

Edited by Sinjinhawke

So I got myself a TurboGrafx Mini off eBay. I probably paid too much for it, but I'm okay with that. My main problem is that the AC adaptor is not included, and this piece of info is not mentioned anywhere on the box!

The official adaptor (Hori HTG-005) is hard to come by and fetches ridiculous prices on eBay. Looking here for information, I see that the specs of the adaptor are:

Input: AC 100-240V 50 / 60Hz 0.6A
Output: DC 5.0V 2.0A
USB terminal: USB Type-A

The specs for the PlayStation Classic Mini seem to be similar (AC adaptor that supports 5V, 1.0A USB (Type A) output). So I could use the same AC adaptor for both machines?

4 minutes ago, Pixelboy said:

So I got myself a TurboGrafx Mini off eBay. I probably paid too much for it, but I'm okay with that. My main problem is that the AC adaptor is not included, and this piece of info is not mentioned anywhere on the box!

The official adaptor (Hori HTG-005) is hard to come by and fetches ridiculous prices on eBay. Looking here for information, I see that the specs of the adaptor are:

Input: AC 100-240V 50 / 60Hz 0.6A
Output: DC 5.0V 2.0A
USB terminal: USB Type-A

The specs for the PlayStation Classic Mini seem to be similar (AC adaptor that supports 5V, 1.0A USB (Type A) output). So I could use the same AC adaptor for both machines?

It will probably be okay. The TG likely doesn't need anywhere near 2A, so supplying 1A should be fine.

Yep, both those terms should be the same.

USB2 vs USB3 for just providing power shouldn't matter.

(I think USB3 officially is able to supply more power than USB2, but that really only applies if you're plugging a device into a PC, for instance - where the specs of the PC's output supply needs to have a certain capability).

6 hours ago, Pixelboy said:

My main problem is that the AC adaptor is not included, and this piece of info is not mentioned anywhere on the box!

Usually these mini consoles are supposed to be directly powered by your HDTV through the USB port. Any USB wall charger will work.

Edited by roots.genoa

I use the plug thing and the cable that came with my Mega Sg to power all of my mini consoles. Of course that won't work if that type of plug doesn't work in your country, but Japan and the US share the same plug type so I can do it.

By the way, turbo controllers are now shipping! Mine will be here tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2019 at 6:44 PM, atarilovesyou said:

I will get one. Absolutely.

Did I ever speak too soon. I will 'absolutely' wait for one of these, not only due to the whole Covid thing, but because of the confirmed via multiple sources of the input lag for several games. I have no desire to pay top dollar shipping this in from Japan only to have less performance than my original setup. I will most definitely get one eventually, but more of a collectible.

10 hours ago, atarilovesyou said:

Did I ever speak too soon. I will 'absolutely' wait for one of these, not only due to the whole Covid thing, but because of the confirmed via multiple sources of the input lag for several games. I have no desire to pay top dollar shipping this in from Japan only to have less performance than my original setup. I will most definitely get one eventually, but more of a collectible.

Well, it is a system on a chip emulator box in a PC Engine shell, so it's definitely not as good as a real PC Engine. Honestly, the weird/bad d-pad on the turbo controller I got the other day is more annoying than the input lag, which is variable. Some games are worse than others.

It's convenient, but it has problems with scaling on games like R-Type, Daimakaimura, and TokiMemo, variable input lag and sound lag, lacks good screen setting options, lacks interpolation, and has a terrible CRT filter. I put it away maybe 2 weeks ago and went back to using my SuperGrafx + OSSC instead, mostly because I can use my Avenue Pad 3 and Shuttle controllers, which actually have both functional d-pads and turbo as well as the III button on the Avenue Pad 3, which is more useful than I thought it would be.

spelling
  • Like 1