IGNORED

Adventure cartridge

JonB

Hi

Just acquired a TI-99/4A with an adventure cartridge and a copy of Pirate Adventure. Apologies for the basic question but how do I load the tape? I have to reply to the "Where is the database?" question with something appropriate that indicates the tape port, but what is the right response?

Thanks

Jon

• Like 1

i dont remember the specific name of the pirate file (it's PIRATE), i think?

you have to type in CS1.FILENAME at the prompt- if you had a disk drive marked as Disk 1 it would be DSK1.FILENAME. I don't remember if it matters, but a lot of the TI stuff needs to be in all caps.

have fun! i love the Scott Adams adventures.

Presuming you have a cassette tape drive plugged into the cassette port in back of the computer (next to the power receptacle), the command to load a program from tape in TI Basic or XB is “OLD CS1”—no trailing filename. For the Adventure game prompt, the response should be “CS1”—also, with no trailing filename. [EDIT—H-m-m-m...I just looked at one of the Adventure manuals and it says to type “OLD CS1” at the prompt—which turns out to be wrong!]

...lee

• Like 2

There were never file names when storing on cassette. Just simply right down the record where the file starts and ends then FF and REW to the record before using CS1.

Imagine you put your 90min cassette into the cassette player, and then you listen to the first transfer ... not the correct file name ... the second ... again wrong ... the third ... oh, it's gonna take some time ...

But I think the C64 could use file names with its datasette (with the above effect).

There is documentation for the Adventure module at:

http://www.99er.net/download2/index.php?act=category&id=20

I have the brown cover manual for the cassette version of the Mission Impossible adventure and Texas Instruments managed to get the instructions for loading the cassette wrong. I'll add it to the documentation thread in due course - next year perhaps, for what little it is worth!

Edited by blackbox

But I think the C64 could use file names with its datasette (with the above effect).

Yes, a majority of home computers (but obviously not all of them) use file names even with cassettes and can use them in LOAD to traverse through a tape until it finds a match.

thanks for steering me correctly! i could've sworn you had to put the filename. :)

Sadly, TI's cassette system wasn't nearly as advanced as some other systems. My brother's TRS-80 Coco actually could play and search for specific files on the tape; it would just not read the data if it wasn't the right file.

• 3 months later...

Hi All! You might be able to help me too. I got a 1982 Adventure cartridge for the ti99. As i understood, Pirate Adventure is ‘pre installed’ on that cartridge (can be played without any other disks/casettes). If this is correct, what command shoul I type when it asks me “where is the data base?’ ?

I remember that at the very beginning, I actually tried hard to make sense of the distorted graphics (not wearing the glasses), almost thought that I could see buildings or whatever, until I found the glasses. I think you could also squint to get a temporary clear picture.

3 hours ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

Hi newcomer,:) The TI ADVENTURE MODULE was sold bundled with a version of Pirate Adventure on cassette.

Return to Pirate's Isle is a self contained Scott Adams' Adventure on a cartridge.

You can play them on an emulator.

note: Return to Pirate's isle on the TI-99/4a was the first "graphic adventure" sold (according to Scott Adams) 

Thank you guys for the quick and thorough answers. Seems like I misunderstood the instruction manual of the cartridge...actually I was so sure of the game file being on the disk, that I googled and wrote a 35 line disk mapping program on the ti-99 to see the contents of the disk :D Now at least I have a mini-quest for finding modules when visiting thrift shops and markets :) So thanks for the help (and to Fritz for the adventure roms)! Good community :)

On 9/15/2019 at 5:09 AM, Csaszi7 said:

Thank you guys for the quick and thorough answers. Seems like I misunderstood the instruction manual of the cartridge...actually I was so sure of the game file being on the disk, that I googled and wrote a 35 line disk mapping program on the ti-99 to see the contents of the disk :D Now at least I have a mini-quest for finding modules when visiting thrift shops and markets :) So thanks for the help (and to Fritz for the adventure roms)! Good community :)

the games are on tape and disk for the ADVENTURE module

On 6/12/2019 at 9:16 AM, mizapf said:

Imagine you put your 90min cassette into the cassette player, and then you listen to the first transfer ... not the correct file name ... the second ... again wrong ... the third ... oh, it's gonna take some time ...

I found this rather surprising that none of these old micros though to store a special record at either the top, or bottom of the tape. (Or to make a cassette system that could programmatically rewind or fast forward the tape for that matter.) I understand that rom routine space was at a premium, but this just made cassettes so very clunky.

(Then the system would know exactly where to seek on the tape for any arbitrarily written data segment.  The record would need to store tape size, then also store: file name, start index in seconds for that file, and how long the file is for each file. A load operation would read the in-memory copy of the table, see if that file is present in the table, then seek accordingly-- or prompt user to switch tape/re-read tape index, or fail.)   

21 hours ago, wierd_w said:

I found this rather surprising that none of these old micros though to store a special record at either the top, or bottom of the tape. (Or to make a cassette system that could programmatically rewind or fast forward the tape for that matter.) I understand that rom routine space was at a premium, but this just made cassettes so very clunky.

(Then the system would know exactly where to seek on the tape for any arbitrarily written data segment.  The record would need to store tape size, then also store: file name, start index in seconds for that file, and how long the file is for each file. A load operation would read the in-memory copy of the table, see if that file is present in the table, then seek accordingly-- or prompt user to switch tape/re-read tape index, or fail.)   

That was much like WaferTape.

It worked OK on the Timex Sinclair. 

TI was preparing a HexBus version, but ended the home computer, before WaferTape was made reliable.