IGNORED

Lantronics UDS-10 setup help?!

Fierodoug5

• 3 weeks later...

For those needing Lantronix UDS-10 settings, we have a document in the Atari BBS club (see link below). It would be cool if those with other Lantronix boxes could create similar documents for their devices.

Make sure you grab the latest version at the end of the thread.

-JP

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:34 AM, Justin Payne said:

I struggled as well but my first problem was not having the correct serial cable but it seems you are using a official Atari serial cable so that's one problem down. 9600 might be too fast. Try dropping it down to a more reasonable 2400 baud. I can look at my settings when I get home tonight to compare them to your settings.

I've always been curious what is the difference between an Atari serial cable and a standard RS232 cable?

David 

1 hour ago, DavidMil said:

I've always been curious what is the difference between an Atari serial cable and a standard RS232 cable?

David 

The difference is the pinout, at the time the 850 was introduced in 1979 the official connector was the DB25. Atari eliminated un-needed pins and used the DE9 connector instead, with special cables to connect to standard DCE/DTE devices.

When IBM introduced their PC/AT computer in 1984 they also used the DE9 connector, but with a different gender/pinout, which has since become the commonly used RS232 DTE connection.

8 hours ago, BillC said:

The difference is the pinout, at the time the 850 was introduced in 1979 the official connector was the DB25. Atari eliminated un-needed pins and used the DE9 connector instead, with special cables to connect to standard DCE/DTE devices.

When IBM introduced their PC/AT computer in 1984 they also used the DE9 connector, but with a different gender/pinout, which has since become the commonly used RS232 DTE connection.

Atari's RS232C pinouts:

1.    Data Terminal Ready (DTR) out

2.    Carrier Detect (CD or CRX) in

3.    Send Data (TD) out

4.    Receive Data (RD) in

5.    Ground

6.    Data Set Ready (DSR) in

7.    Request To Send (RTS) out

8.    Clear To Send (CTS) in

9.    As far as I know this pin was not used, except for Port 4 where it was a constant negative voltage.

Someone want to post the pinouts for the industry standard RS232 port?

David