IGNORED

What's a game NO ONE likes?

InfernalKeith

There have been several times I've read threads praising TI games that I thought were pretty bad, only to find out they had devoted fans. Sometimes that's made me revisit the game, and even revise my opinion of it a bit.

I'll list a couple to start the discussion, but are there any you have no use for at all? Like, not just indifference, but you abjectly get mad at the sight of the cartridge because it's such a piece of crap?

The Attack is one where I try periodically to play it again, thinking I must have missed something (after all, it took me years to get the point of Chisholm Trail). Spores, and big bugs, and big dumb numbers... I like the bugs and I like the theme music, but the game itself has the appeal of watching paint dry.

Without revisiting further, I'd put ZeroZap, Buck Rogers, and maybe Slymoids on the same list.

Any rabid The Attack fans out there willing to defend this steaming pile? Or add games of their own to the list of duds?

• Like 1

A steaming pile eh? TI had a few of them, but I'm gonna keep my opinion to myself on this one... except for ZeroZap which everyone already knows I detest.

There are a couple of other cartridges that do have a practical use... as shell donors for other cartridge boards like the UberGROM. But hey, if you ever plan to go skeet shooting, ZeroZap circuit boards make great birdies! :lol:

I always thought maybe I just couldn't get Munchmobile to work right. If I wasn't doing something wrong, then holy crap, does that game stink out loud.

I don't remember liking Black Hole very much, getting into the third party carts, but it's been years since I played it.

And yeah, ZeroZap doesn't even seem like a game. It's more like something you show people who've never seen a color computer before, to wow them.

As I just recently played Munchmobile I'll say this- it probably helped if you played it in an arcade. Getting to drive AND operate the cars "hands" is tricky, and the initial learning curve is fairly steep. But I have driven the car into the garage safely and have a fair understanding of how to do things. So I'll upvote the game with a note that even at the slowest lowest level some players won't be able to coordinate the hands or understand how they work- please read the manual I've just put up on the manuals thread! In level two it is essential you move from the bottom of the screen. On the diagonals it is best to have no forward/backward motion.

Worst? Yes Zero Zap is in there. I wasn't very happy with the Indoor Football/Soccer game. And there are many I'm happy to forget....

Edited by blackbox

I'd kind of like to learn "the back story" of ZeroZap. How did a program so awful, that it sucks the sweat off a dead donkeys balls, ever make it to market? It's truly beyond the scope of my imagination. I know in the early days of computing people were buying a lot of "educational" things for their kids, but even then, this program has little to no value.

I feel sorry for any kid that got this cartridge on a Christmas morning so long ago. Can you imagine hoping for some fun and excitement, only to experience one of the greatest let downs of your early life?

Was this program the result of a "take your child to work day", where two year old little Johnny came up with a "brilliant idea" for Daddy? Did the programmer actually get paid for this "program"? How many ZZ cartridges were made? Who made the decision to produce this cartridge in the first place? To me, answers to these questions would be nice trivia to know.

We already knew TI was somewhat screwed up in their decisions concerning the 99/4A, but knowing more about how this specific cartridge came into existence could really enlighten us about how bad it really was.

• Like 2

Moonsweeper. It starts off with some, well, acceptable graphics and a potentially interesting scenario, but once you went through the cycle of approaching a moon, picking up people, avoiding to be shot down, and accelerating back into orbit, which can all happen in a single minute, you know that you've seen everything.

• Like 1

my counterpoint for Zero Zap is that while it's not a particularly deep game, it feels like it was an attempt to either pull in really young players or older players. my argument is that my grandparents had for their TI, and at the time they were in their 60s. ;)

I was always in Grandpa's 'radio room' when we visited for the duration since he had the TI and his C64 (later) there- I have lots of fond memories of playing Zero Zap over and over.

Personally I really disliked Hopper and Sewermania- Slymoids is one of my all time favorite games. The Attack would've been a much better game if your ship sped up compared to the alien speed.

• Like 3

I don't remember liking Black Hole very much, getting into the third party carts, but it's been years since I played it.

I actually liked Black Hole quite a bit. But specifically as a two-player game. Not much point as a single-player game, as I see it. So I can see being seriously underwhelmed in that regard.

But then, you also named Buck Rogers, and I'm likewise a fan of that. Right up my alley, mind you. Love me some 80s Sega. I guess that first generation of "into the screen" shooters just captured my imagination. Plus, games like Buck Rogers, that got ported to just sort of everything, are a fun way to explore the differing ways developers dealt with the same design challenges on differing hardware.

You dont like a game either because - simply- it is too boring or you just can't get the hang of it (too hard?).. This will be a very personal thing! But if too many people dislike something, you won't sell enough of them so it is important.

I have been through every one player module I can find and have listed below the bottom five for too hard and too boring... but you may well disagree!

Is anyone going to go through this thread in a little while to add up all the negative votes? Be sort of interesting.

Bottom 5 for boring- let's watch the paint dry... yes a lot of these are really two player games...

Soccer

Football

Moonsweeper (I can keep the score going up without any threat!)

Meteor Belt

Slymoids

and to make up for the two player games which don't belong here-

Buck Rogers

Bottom 5 for - I last two seconds-

Espial

Zaxxon

Chisholm Trail (I last longer but have no idea what is happening or what to do, after reading the manual!)

Miner 2049er (much too sensitive to half pixel positioning)

Moonmine

Edited by blackbox