IGNORED

Are Sega genesis controllers compatible with the Atari flashback 9?

My Sega 3-button controller does not work with it, only up/down work, no left/right or button. My 6-button also does not work with it (both of them are official Sega controllers). Even my 7800 euro game pad does not work properly. It seems to be detected as a paddle because I get the paddle warning when the 7800 pad is connected.

I usually use the AtGames wireless joystick (which is really good), or sometimes my favorite joystick for any 2600, the Slik Stik.

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 6/12/2019 at 10:55 PM, KevinMos3 said:

My Sega 3-button controller does not work with it, only up/down work, no left/right or button. My 6-button also does not work with it (both of them are official Sega controllers). Even my 7800 euro game pad does not work properly. It seems to be detected as a paddle because I get the paddle warning when the 7800 pad is connected.

I usually use the AtGames wireless joystick (which is really good), or sometimes my favorite joystick for any 2600, the Slik Stik.

Thank you for clarifying this. I was hoping the Genesis controller worked. I have a disability that makes holding the original Atari style controller difficult. Does anyone know if the Genesis controller works with any Atari Flashback models?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 10/15/2019 at 7:47 PM, RREDDWARFF said:

Thank you for clarifying this. I was hoping the Genesis controller worked. I have a disability that makes holding the original Atari style controller difficult. Does anyone know if the Genesis controller works with any Atari Flashback models?

The only one I know for sure would work is the Flashback 2 since it's compatible with original controllers.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

But it has a very limited amount of games and can't be expanded without modding in a cartridge port and only has composite video.

The composite video is not a problem, as I have an old crt for retro gaming. 

Doesn't the Flashback 8 support original controllers as well? Perhaps that works with Genesis controllers also. 

On 6/13/2019 at 7:55 AM, KevinMos3 said:

Even my 7800 euro game pad does not work properly. It seems to be detected as a paddle because I get the paddle warning when the 7800 pad is connected.

I am having the same problem with 7800 controller on my FB X :( I was really disappointed that it is not compatible. It acts like it is still the right side pressed.

• 2 weeks later...

You can flash the Atari Flashback 9 Gold custom firmware to a Legends Flashback 2018 unit and use the custom Atari rom pack to add all games to the main menu with art. 

The Legends Flashback controllers work and I'm assuming Sega pads would work as well. There are a few issues running the Atari Firmware on the Legends unit but you could get games running. I never did test paddles, but I hear it was a hardware issue with the AFB9. I don't know if the LFB2018 has the same hardware limitations.

The Legends Flashback 2019 Deluxe has .a26 Atari support through the SD card, the standard 2019 version does not. I haven't heard how the Atari paddles work on the 2019 deluxe yet. Anyways, this would be more ideal than flashing the 9 gold onto a unit not intended for it. And you would have sega pad support.

Edited by Draxxon