IGNORED

New release of Spiker by the Blue Sky Rangers

Bamse

BSR is soon to release a re-release of Spiker and I wondered what people's thoughts on it was from a collection/collector point of view.

I think it looks great and may be the only way for mere mortals to own it. Also, it has the pedigree to be considered in my opinion, part of the 125.

What do people think?

post-65033-0-91070000-1560430652_thumb.jpg

post-65033-0-53377600-1560430696_thumb.jpg

For me, I am calling it a variation and in my opinion can complete a collection regardless if you have an original or not. Made by the IP holder makes the case for me.

Now as far as the two other titles that are being released by BSR, personally, I am changing the 125 to 127, since they now will have an official release by the IP holder.

• Like 4

I have noticed that this debate has been going on ever since these were announced, and my opinion was always the same as Soulbuster. You can't make a distinction between this and the INTV Corporation releases, as they are the exact same thing. I, for one, am thrilled about it, as I never had any hope of actually collecting all of the games. Now that dream seems a little bit closer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It clearly qualifies to be in the 125 "Club". The club was created for people who have all official released games CiB. That is the platinum level. There is no "variation" Level, so you do not need the rarest version of the game, just an official version. This release is official. Its from the owners of the trademark.

So if you are currently at 124 go for it and feel complete. No need to think otherwise. And I am technically member of the 125 Platinum Club, pics are all online just never submitted to Rev, so its no wishful thinking to sneak in, its my honest opinion.

Edit: And fun fact: The new release is probably much more rare than the original one :lol:

Edited by Ignorama
  • Like 2

To me....

Not released in the original period of the console=not counted as an original release

That said it's a really neat variation, really cool that its from bsr and a great way to have this title as a place holder for a game that is ridiculously expensive. :)

• Like 6

To me....

Not released in the original period of the console=not counted as an original release

That said it's a really neat variation, really cool that its from bsr and a great way to have this title as a place holder for a game that is ridiculously expensive. :)

This is my opinion as well. I think it's awesome that people will be able to get a copy of Spiker and everyone should define their own collection however they want, but to me the 125 refers to the original releases BITD. I view this as a post 2000 release. I'll definitely be buying it though. ?

• Like 3

I think that everyone should have their own rules for what counts or what matters to them. If you base what you want or what you like on what other people tell you, it defeats the whole point of gaming or collecting.

To me, this seems like more of a "real" release of Spiker than the original, which was hampered by the state of INTV Corp at the time.

As to what counts for stupus: many people, especially non-Intellivision fans, would say that the original Spiker release wasn't during the original period of the console, as it came out 2 years into the 16-bit generation, 4 years before the 32-bit generation and a decade after the Intellivision itself.

But you should still have your own rule for what that "original period" was. ;)

I think that what's most important is that it's an opportunity for people without an LTO Flash to play the game on real hardware.

• Like 1

whatever we may think about this matter, the new release will very probably imply the decrease of demand of the original Spiker, and consequently of its price.

That would be a great opportunity for those who think that we can reach the 125 level only with the Spiker released in 1990.

• Like 1

whatever we may think about this matter, the new release will very probably imply the decrease of demand of the original Spiker, and consequently of its price.

That would be a great opportunity for those who think that we can reach the 125 level only with the Spiker released in 1990.

Let's hope the best for these guys. :)

I think it's awesome that people will be able to get a copy of Spiker and everyone should define their own collection however they want, ... I'll definitely be buying it though.

This

Agree, It may alter the price a bit, but I do not think it changes the collectability.

To me....

I quote every word.

I have long been a proponent of stating only you can define your collection for yourself. So the debate about 125 or 127* can be a fun one but will likely just get out of hand around here and quickly! For myself, the Original 125 will always be the standard for how I define my collection and I doubt that will honestly change for most everyone here. I also acknowledge that Blue Sky Rangers is the IP holder and direct descendant of the Intellivision brand as founded by Mattel, putting them on par with Intellivision, Inc. and INTV Corp. But I don't believe it means anything they produce should automatically change the 125 figure. In my mind it would have have to be a wholly new title, not a re-release or BSR version of an already existing homebrew, before I would consider it a possible #126. That rules out the 3 pending releases currently advertised.

From a marketing aspect I think the BSR group would be better served by considering their offerings as working towards building a "NEW 125" and officially define the Original 125 Era as being concluded. Draw a line now and classify their own releases as the New Era addressing the debate in the community (at least from an official standpoint as the IP holder) before any animosity can build up. I think we all know how that discussion will go simply based on previous debates over the 125 figure. This is BSR's chance to settle the issue in a productive way and position themselves as the benevolent stewards of the legacy. The less consternation there is within the community the better business will be for everyone.

Regardless, I can't wait to buy all 3 titles and look forward to supporting BSR however they decide to define their offerings!!! :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge

That magic number oh so much debate.

• Like 3

There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge

That magic number oh so much debate.

Wait, wait... I know this one!

42, right?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

For me, I am calling it a variation and in my opinion can complete a collection regardless if you have an original or not. Made by the IP holder makes the case for me.

Now as far as the two other titles that are being released by BSR, personally, I am changing the 125 to 127, since they now will have an official release by the IP holder.

For whatever it's worth, I agree with this. The new BSR releases are post-Mattel first-party titles, exactly like the INTV releases, so I'm open to expanding the "official" count to include them; this was done for the INTV games, so why not these? As for Spiker specifically, I would also consider it a variation rather than a different game.

Will this be offered through the BSR's online store when it is available? I'm very much looking forward to it, and to the other newly (re)-released games!

The plan is that we will sell both through blueskyrangers.com and eBay. Eventually, we will probably go to a full eBay store as move everything there, but that is down the road a little.

As for the 125 status, I leave that up you guys. I would tend to agree that Deep Pockets and King of the Mountain would not be added to the 125, though King of the Mountain was largely written at Mattel, while Deep Pockets was completed for INTV Corp and would have probably been the 126th game if they had stayed open.

• Like 3

The plan is that we will sell both through blueskyrangers.com and eBay. Eventually, we will probably go to a full eBay store as move everything there, but that is down the road a little.

As for the 125 status, I leave that up you guys. I would tend to agree that Deep Pockets and King of the Mountain would not be added to the 125, though King of the Mountain was largely written at Mattel, while Deep Pockets was completed for INTV Corp and would have probably been the 126th game if they had stayed open.

I like your entire response to the 125 status,everything was summed up by you very well.?
  • Like 1

I suppose I was thinking more about Spiker than other releases. So, when Deep Pockets is releases I definitely think that should be added to the 125 to make it 126 but Spiker is a re-release of the same game, so I'm not sure that should be added in its own right, unless the game itself differs enough from the original. Like for instance ML Baseball and WC Baseball