IGNORED

New release of Spiker by the Blue Sky Rangers

Bamse

On 6/15/2019 at 8:53 AM, Bamse said:

I suppose I was thinking more about Spiker than other releases. So, when Deep Pockets is releases I definitely think that should be added to the 125 to make it 126 but Spiker is a re-release of the same game, so I'm not sure that should be added in its own right, unless the game itself differs enough from the original. Like for instance ML Baseball and WC Baseball

To clarify this, I think the either the original or the re-issue BSR variant of Spike should be part of the 125 and not supernumerary to it. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BSRSteve said:

And it appears that we are not going to hit June. June 45th, maybe (better known as July 15), but I am just waiting for them to be assembled and shipped to me.

Yikes.  I’m on vacation then.  I guess I can order order while overseas.  Europe has internet right?  ?

On 6/25/2019 at 2:47 PM, BSRSteve said:

And it appears that we are not going to hit June. June 45th, maybe (better known as July 15), but I am just waiting for them to be assembled and shipped to me.

Hahahhaa!  June 45th!  Good one Steve.  :D

I want to reserve mine now!  Shipping one office door down.  :)

Edited by Tommy Tallarico
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

My POV is that the re-release should not be considered “125 canon” because it is a re-release, and should be visible and marked in some way. That way the game would get out to people that truly want to play the game on the cart, which matters most in my opinion, but also respect those that have had the game since the 90s and that it’s different. I think it would also blunt the impact of people that just profiteer and speculate on game value in the community. 

17 minutes ago, First Spear said:

My POV is that the re-release should not be considered “125 canon” because it is a re-release, and should be visible and marked in some way. That way the game would get out to people that truly want to play the game on the cart, which matters most in my opinion, but also respect those that have had the game since the 90s and that it’s different. I think it would also blunt the impact of people that just profiteer and speculate on game value in the community. 

It looks completely different so I don't think there's much chance of someone passing it off as the first release version. 

2 hours ago, First Spear said:

As few copies of the original release of Spiker as there are, very few are still in the hands of the original owners. You'd be showing respect more to all of the people who paid $1000+ for it.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, First Spear said:

If we count out Re-Releases, I wonder how many Platinum Member would be left, because some may (I am for sure) have the 125 with INTV Inc versions and they are also Re-Releases.

Edited by Ignorama

I think people with the Intellivision Inc (re-issue) games would argue that although they are technically re-issue, they were released within the 125`s lifetime so are 'legitimate' for want of a better word. 

I stick by my original assessment of the new release of Spike in that I think it should count but also agree with mr_me in as much as the original INTV release will always be more sort after and desirable especially by the most completist of collectors. 

There might be a few Intellivision Inc cartridges that are a bit easier to find than the Mattel editions but that shouldn't be a problem for collectors.  But they are so cheaply made e.g. instructions, labels, boxes that I don't count them for that reason.

Edited by mr_me

5 hours ago, Ignorama said:

If we count out Re-Releases, I wonder how many Platinum Member would be left, because some may (I am for sure) have the 125 with INTV Inc versions and they are also Re-Releases.

As the Platinum members made photos from their collections you can look for yourself.

2 hours ago, mr_me said:

There might be a few Intellivision Inc cartridges that are a bit easier to find than the Mattel editions but that shouldn't be a problem for collectors.  But they are so cheaply made e.g. instructions, labels, boxes that I don't count them for that reason.

I think my collection consists of 3 intellivision Inc games. I didn't realise they were different to the original releases when I bought them as I didn't know Intellivision Inc was a thing :D

I know better now and agree they are of lower quality and I'll replace them eventually. .

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mr_me said:

Either way a serious collector knows their collection is not complete without the original INTV spiker.

Thats just your opinion and I dont think you are the collectors authority. For me statements like that are elitist nonsense.

@Intymike

I really dont care and if I read here that some people really try to exclude Intellivision Inc versions the whole "real collector" thing reached a new level of ridiculousness :lol:

• Like 1

Fun fact: If you dont count Re-Releases you have no complete collection of you have Super Series Big League Baseball as your only variation of the game. I think that underlines why this makes no sense.

Edit: And as I said some time ago: The official and legitimate Re-Release of Spiker will be MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more rare than the Release back then. So as a real collector I like rare things more than expensive things. And please dont forget, I own the old Spiker, so I am not biased to be a "real" collector with the Re-Release, nor I am considering to trade the old for the new one, I will put both in my shelf.

Edited by Ignorama
  • Like 1

I think everyone is making way too much out of this. Your collection cannot be defined by anyone but yourself so the entire argument is moot. The 125 Platinum Club is just a group representing one subset of the hobby. It is not the official standard for anything other than its own membership. 

Intellivision Inc. games count.

Blue Sky Rangers re-issues count.

The roms on your LTO Flash count.

Hell, Pac-Man counts twice if you want it to!

The existence of a club does not make it the standard. Your own personal definition of your collection does. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, the1hatman said:

The existence of a club does not make it the standard. Your own personal definition of your collection does. 

Yes and no. In this case its not even a definition thing, its just a fact: The Re-Release is licensed and official. There is no discussion about that. Its pretty disrespectful towards BSR if you pretend its less worth or not a real deal. It is a real deal, deal with it if you have a 1k bucks game in the shelf which you could have get for a lot less now :lol:

Personally I hope the price of Spiker plummets.

Edited by Ignorama
  • Like 1

Yes, a collection and it's definition is a personal thing. How you measure that collection against others is also a personal thing. If you are happy to consider your collection complete because your lto flash has the original 125 on it then that's fine and your personal choice. 

I absolutely think the Intellivision Inc versions and the new BSR versions of the games are 100 percent legitimate for the 125 collection. 

My personal view and choices for my collection is that I would like my 125  to consist of the original release of them all. That's probably not going to happen though so I will gladly complete my 125 with what I'm sure will be excellent BSR releases of the more expensive games. My goal of an original 125 will continue probably in perpetuity but the fun is in the journey rather than its completion. 

I think there is room here for many interpretations of what a complete collection consists of. Variety is the spice of life and all that :)

Edited by Bamse
  • Like 1