IGNORED

New release of Spiker by the Blue Sky Rangers

Bamse

There have been at least 2 lately. But there havent been others before.

So with most things from venzuela when a title starts popping up it means there are a lot more there. This has devalued numerous titles in the past that were a 9 or 10 and maade them into commons. 

Not saying this is happened for sure for spiker but it would not surpise me if it did.

These guys would also be smart enough to list them 1 at a time over a period to not call attention to the fact they might have a bunch.

It would be funny if they did and also at the same time as the bsr release.

Just saying ;)

Personally i have never seen a spiker boxed go unsold for $799 in any recent time period.

On 7/6/2019 at 5:28 AM, Ignorama said:

Yes and no. In this case its not even a definition thing, its just a fact: The Re-Release is licensed and official. There is no discussion about that. Its pretty disrespectful towards BSR if you pretend its less worth or not a real deal. It is a real deal, deal with it if you have a 1k bucks game in the shelf which you could have get for a lot less now :lol:

Personally I hope the price of Spiker plummets.

There is always room for discussion even when you disagree with the topic. Try not to be so closed minded.

Even so, I'm not sure why you directed this response to me as I am possibly the first person here to refer to BSR as the legitimate successor to Mattel Electronics. My own opinion is that this new release of Spiker should be considered an official variant of the original so we actually agree here. But not everyone will see it the same as we do, so while you may say "There is no discussion about that" I assure you there very much is and will continue to be.  

Once again, your collection cannot be defined by anyone but yourself. This also means that YOU cannot define anyone else's collection for them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/8/2019 at 2:03 AM, JasonlikesINTV said:

Spiker Listing (unsold @ $799; Relisted @ $999)

It's a combination of factors:

• Missing manual
  • Shipping from Venezuela
  • Non-mint box and discolored label
  • Announcement of non-scarce reissue

Also, that lot with the loose Spiker cart sold for $450 today.

I believe the current market for a CIB Spiker is between $800-1000 depending on condition. The average one will run in the low $900 range while a close to mint version might break $1200. I'm fairly certain the $799 listing mentioned earlier would have easily sold for at least that much had it been complete (not missing the manual).

I honestly don't see the BSR reissue as being much of a factor in the original's value as most collectors will not view them as being on the same level in collection terms, as mr_me has alluded to. Even though the reissue may actually turn out to be more rare in terms of actual existing units, it will not carry the same collectability factor as something rare and also from 30 years ago. The new version simply lacks the history. That said, I'll be buying at least one copy! lol  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The new version doesn't count towards the 125 because the 125 consists of games that were originally released for Intellivision between 1979 and 1989. The games INTV re-released just count as label variants because they are re-releases of games that came out between 1979 and 1989. Plus they were re-released before 1989. So no, a game re-released 30 years after 1989 doesn't count in any way. It's perfect for people that just want the game without having to put up a more substantial amount of money. But simply put, it's not an original. It will look great next to my original though.  It's exciting that The Blue Sky Rangers are offering this!

Not original, just released by the copyright holders and licensed. Wait... :lol: I wonder why we call anything Post Mattel original then, may we should shrink the official collection just to the Mattel branded games. 

Edit: The funny part is: If the BSR would have released that stuff in the mid 90s, before the whole "platinum club" became a thing, everyone here would say "yay, re-release, just like many other games" and we would talk about 127 official releases at least. 

Edited by Ignorama
  • Like 1

The defining moment is when a console is no longer in production and is no longer being supported by the manufacturer.  Part of the condition of the sale of Mattel's video game assets in 1984 was that the system would continue to be supported and supplied.  Technically the Intellivision became a discontinued console in 1990.  If Intellivision Productions did produce cartridges in the late 1990s they would still be considered post Intellivision era cartridges much like 4Tris.  First party or third party publisher has nothing to do with it since a good chunk of the 125 are from third party publishers.  But many intellivision collectors collect original and modern cartridge productions so it really doesn't matter.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 2

Amico is not an Intellivision console eventhough the manufacturer adopted the old console's name.  An Xbox could emulate intellivision games, officially licensed.  My understanding is that an intellivision cartridge dumper for amico might be in the works.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ignorama said:

Not original, just released by the copyright holders and licensed. Wait... :lol: I wonder why we call anything Post Mattel original then, may we should shrink the official collection just to the Mattel branded games. 

Edit: The funny part is: If the BSR would have released that stuff in the mid 90s, before the whole "platinum club" became a thing, everyone here would say "yay, re-release, just like many other games" and we would talk about 127 official releases at least. 

Intellivision is a good example of how there is no such thing as a standard console line or official run.

The Sega Master System was released in North America by Tonka and they later handed over the rights to Sega. But very few people would consider only the Tonka years to be official.

I just love how the "real collectors" say that the INTELLIVISION AMICO is not an intellivision console....I think Tommy Tallirico and the Blue Sky Rangers would beg to differ. And as far as the original 125 go, whoever said that when the console isn't supported by the manufacturer anymore that anything there after doesn't count? What collecting bible is that written in? Oh yeah....it's not. The original 125 were released between 1979 and 1989.........yes that's true.....no one is disputing that. Spiker is one of the original releases, it is being re-issued by the original IP holder and guess what......the original release date is still 1989!!  If you want to own the first issue for $2000, you go right ahead, more power to you, but don't tell other collectors that this re-issue doesn't count toward a full collection, because it does.  There is nothing you can say or show from any "official" source that says it's not.....it's simply your opinion. And you know what they say about opinions.  And by the way, if you took a poll, I would bet that there would be a lot more people who would say the Spiker re-issue counts towards completing a collection than not.

49 minutes ago, ho11ywood885 said:

A Super Nintendo is certainly not an NES......but it is a Nintendo console, without a doubt.  The Intellivision Amico is not an original, a II, a III or a Super Pro System.......but it IS an Intellivision, without a doubt.

That's fine.  I just took Soulbuster's comment to mean Intellivisions were back in production.  

My comment was regarding not having a current console in production.

Intellivision does have a console coming into production next year.  It will support all of the old games, even possibly on cart.  So to that end Intellivisions are back in production.

Regarding games being emulated, so what.  Intellivision will have a console in production that plays all the old games. IT IS THE NEXT GENERATION INTELLIVISION.

I was only trying to prove a point.  However, It is not my contention that a console in production makes the difference, it does not.  Simply put: The IP holder of the games are releasing them CIB (all 3) so they all count towards achieving 127 (King of the Mountain and Deep Pockets make it 127 and the homebrew versions are variants).

How about this.  Amico is not an "Intellivision Master Component".  Intellivisions were made by Mattel from 1979 to 1984 and then by INTV Corporation from 1985 to 1990.  Note that from 1979 to 1990 they were not made by Intellivision, because the Intellivision is a thing and not a manufacturer of things.

Edited by mr_me