IGNORED

Atari Star Wars arcade from Arcade1Up

JeffVav

3 hours ago, Inky said:

Jeff Vav has been around the emulation game for decades, putting out quality products.  If he's involved - and I have the money and a spouse who will allow me to get one, both unlikely - I'm in.

emulation only gets you so far, and is only part of the story.

the sensitivity and handling of the controller will make or break whether the game is worth playing and lives up to the original.

later

I haven't touched every last emulation project that Code Mystics has done (Rare Replay is a big one I haven't played, for an example). But Atari Vault, the Atari Flashback Classics line, and the two volume Atari Greatest Hits collections on the original DS have all been top notch. So I fully agree with Inky and believe one can buy this and be reasonably assured that if it has any problems, it's highly unlikely to be at the emulation end.

I only have ever spotted a single emulation issue in any of these, with Red Baron not saving high score data on the DS. That's literally been the sole flaw I've ever noticed in their Atari emulation work. Alas all the Midway arcade games in Lego Dimensions that they handled aren't in good shape with severe visual artifacts and slowdown, but I'm pretty sure that's all the fault of a later and sadly final patch to the game from Traveller's Tales that I believe inadvertently broke the arcade games.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Atariboy said:

I haven't touched every last emulation project that Code Mystics has done (Rare Replay is a big one I haven't played, for an example). But Atari Vault, the Atari Flashback Classics line, and the two volume Atari Greatest Hits collections on the original DS have all been top notch. So I fully agree with Inky and believe one can buy this and be reasonably assured that if it has any problems, it's highly unlikely to be at the emulation end.

I only have ever spotted a single emulation issue in any of these, with Red Baron not saving high score data on the DS. That's literally been the sole flaw I've ever noticed in their Atari emulation work. Alas all the Midway arcade games in Lego Dimensions that they handled aren't in good shape with severe visual artifacts and slowdown, but I'm pretty sure that's all the fault of a later and sadly final patch to the game from Traveller's Tales that I believe inadvertently broke the arcade games.

the emulation might be good, but for the vast majority of games that require spinners, trackballs etc,

they are barely playable with analog sticks, and dpads.

so again, its more an issue with the controls being right and sensitive enough (although they had sensitivity settings

in atari vault) it didn't help much.

later

2 hours ago, Atariboy said:

I was talking solely about the quality of their software emulation. You're talking about something very different. 

it could have the best emulation in the world, be pixel perfect, and framerate accurate.

wouldn't make a difference if the controls don't work properly, or aren't the right types.

a lot of complaints about arcade 1up are all about the controls,  only a few people have

complained about the software emulation, which isn't even that great either. but unless

there's a show stopping bug, most people  don't care that much about it, only purists,

hardcore players, and fans of that game.

later

Edited by negative1

I don't disagree, I was just pointing out that I was never talking about all of that. I was 100% just talking about the job being done at Code Mystics.

There's going to be issues here no doubt, but I'm quite certain those problems aren't going to revolve around the emulator that Code Mystics is programming. I'm quite confident that their emulator will run these games well. They'll look how they should, sound as they should, and perform as they should.

Any issues will be downstream from that with the physical controls that Arcade1Up is developing, the hardware that they're utilizing like the LCD display, etc. But the emulation side is in good hands and I can confidently predict based off past experience with their products that they'll do their part of the job correctly. 

Edited by Atariboy

On 7/18/2019 at 5:48 PM, negative1 said:

the emulation might be good, but for the vast majority of games that require spinners, trackballs etc,

they are barely playable with analog sticks, and dpads.

so again, its more an issue with the controls being right and sensitive enough (although they had sensitivity settings

in atari vault) it didn't help much.

later

The trackpad on PS4 and touch screen on Switch help. :)

Regarding the controller, I know they're taking great care fussing over getting it right, and the prototype I've used felt familiar. The muscle memory kicked in quite naturally. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JeffVav said:

The trackpad on PS4 and touch screen on Switch help. :)

Regarding the controller, I know they're taking great care fussing over getting it right, and the prototype I've used felt familiar. The muscle memory kicked in quite naturally. 

Thats great to hear. I know some expert players on Star Wars, they are very picky when it comes to the controls.

If they nail that, there will be a lot of happy people out there. Empire Strikes Back is much rarer, and I don't remember anyone

getting good at that.

Return of the Jedi had its fans, but only a few people I knew were ever any good at it.

later

In all the time we've spent testing our emulation I have two observations about Return of the Jedi that nag at me:

1. Darth Vader is heard saying "leave them to me. I will deal with them myself" and then never does. That's the first and last time you hear from him. 

2. The notion of Chewie being attacked by "homing logs" is kind of trippy and suggests that Ewok technology is more advanced than it seems. 

• Like 1

Apparently a newer demo was shown at comic-con: From facebook:

"We’ve had several experts and enthusiasts test our prototype yoke here at SDCC and they all came away pretty pleased for a commercial home arcade cabinet. It still needs work but we’re on it and and taking feedback at the show.

Is it going to be exactly like the $500 after market yokes? No, that’s not feasible. But we are confident people will be happy with our final product. We are treating the Star Wars license with love and respect and working with the Lucasfilm team on the code and artwork to make the best experience possible. This is not some 2600 knock-off posing as the arcade version either. This is a labor of love. Lucasfilm is excited for THIS home arcade product!"

I'm not sure if the actual demo was a playable one, but it seems like it from all the posts.

looks like it is: at 10:24

later

Edited by negative1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...