IGNORED

No New sports game on the 2600 ?

Fredifredo

Random thoughts:

Guessing here but seems most programmers aren't as interested in sports as they are in other hobbies. Or would rather program games of other genres anyway.

In a hobby such as ours where it's extremely difficult finding others locally to play with, we already have enough 2p-only sports games.

Competent computer AI too difficult to program?

Been a pipe-dream of mine that SuperChallenge Baseball was hacked or re-written to include a competitive single player mode.

Was excited to finally see RealSports Basketball released/converted to NTSC, but what a disappointment. Flicker be damned, the way the players are limited to narrow strips on the playfield, reminds of Pete Rose Baseball! :(

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Champ Games has in store for a hockey game!

Would love to see a new single-player Baseball game for the VCS as well someday.

• Like 3

When it comes to the original libraries, sports games tend to be the lowest valued of them all. Plenty common, and just about nobody wants to play them anyway so only collectors looking to not have any gaps bother owning them. I know homebrews are different but possibly the market interest for new sports games is as low as it is for the old ones. Then it would be programming in vain.

• Like 3

Stay Tuned... Rumor mill is that a new Hockey game is coming from Champ Games.

Champ Games started a hockey game (CHAMPionship Hockey) back in 2003 but haven't worked on it since, but we are planning on finishing it using CDF at some point soon, hopefully next year!

Here are some screen shots we posted on our Facebook page a while back.

If it catches on and people are interested, we would consider making other Champ Sports titles such as Baseball, Football, Basketball, Soccer, Bowling, etc. :)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Champ Games started a hockey game (CHAMPionship Hockey) back in 2003 but haven't worked on it since, but we are planning on finishing it using CDF at some point soon, hopefully next year!

If it catches on and people are interested, we would consider making other Champ Sports titles such as Baseball, Football, Basketball, Soccer, Bowling, etc. :)

I'd buy your hockey game for sure.

• Like 2

On 6/15/2019 at 2:41 AM, johnnywc said:

Stay Tuned... Rumor mill is that a new Hockey game is coming from Champ Games.

'10 Yard Fight' port?  Classic game!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2019 at 12:16 AM, Fredifredo said:

Why there are no new sports games on the Atari 2600 ?

Ice Hockey ? Tennis ? Soccer ? Baseball ?

One on One Basketball by Edward A. Smith is the latest sports homebrew game.......

On 6/14/2019 at 10:06 AM, KevKelley said:

There is that new basketball game that looked cool.

I suppose the message is if you feel there is a lack of new sports games for the 2600, consider upgrading to another Atari system where you may find those. Something along the line all Ataris are created equal, or at least we're all sitting in the same boat.

I can totally understand the lack of interest in hacking/developing new sports games for the 2600. We all all missing the key element which is the neighborhood full of kids we had 30-40 years ago to play with. Super Challenge Football is one of my all time favorite sports games across all systems. As previously stated it was simple pick up and play fun. I always thought it would be cool if punts and field goals could somehow be added. If you really want to be ambioutous adding basic stats after each game would be the bomb. Of coarse if challenging AI can't be done it's all mute because it's not likely to happen anyway. I will be meeting up with my all time nemesis The Brooks Bombers for a game Super Challenge Football in late August. We try to play at least once a year to keep our rivalry alive:)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...