IGNORED

Games for your Atari book

Philsan

I am searching all the programs of "Games for your Atari" book by Paul Bunn.

You can find the book here: http://www.atarimania.com/documents-atari-400-800-xl-xe-books_1_8.html

post-12528-0-64892500-1560552789.png

I miss these programs:

Colour Pattern

Colour Puzzle

String Pattern

Sound Program

Display List Interrupt Example

Reaction Timer

Morse Code

Ski Run

Does anyone have them?

I would like to post a disk image with all the games.

Games for your Atari.PNG

• Like 1

I'm fairly sure I've got that book still - I was given copies of multiple titles of "Games for your..." for various machines including ZX81, Spectrum and BBC in 1983 before commencing on my work. A couple of games are based on existing ones though were done only based on the title and description.

I'd had access to a ZX81 which one friend had for a while, then funnily enough started working on BBC B at school about a month after finishing work on the book.

Thanks.

I just typed Display List Interrupt Example so, at the moment, only those programs are missing:

Colour Puzzle

Reaction Timer

Morse Code

Ski Run

I found Ski Run on Atarionline but I cannot see the listing.

I attach it, perhaps someone could help.

Ski Run (1983)(Virgin Books)(GB).xex

Regarding German edition, programs names and REMs are translated. It would be not a problem to change listings.

Thanks.

I just typed Display List Interrupt Example so, at the moment, only those programs are missing:

Colour Puzzle

Reaction Timer

Morse Code

Ski Run

I found Ski Run on Atarionline but I cannot see the listing.

I attach it, perhaps someone could help.

attachicon.gifSki Run (1983)(Virgin Books)(GB).xex

Regarding German edition, programs names and REMs are translated. It would be not a problem to change listings.

I will do Colour Puzzle today.

Allan

• Like 1

On 6/15/2019 at 4:33 PM, Philsan said:

Is it possible to extract Basic listing from Ski Run XEX (post #8) ?

I do not think so. The original Basic listing is full of Data lines with just a few lines of Basic code, two of these lines read like "For X=1536 to 16..." and "For X=13... to 16...". (Convert the dec. numbers into hex numbers and you have the start and ending adresses, X=USR is most likely the run adress.) You simply run the program once, then go to DOS and do a K-binary save of these For-next loops numbers (in hex.) which are the start and ending adresses of the ML program ($0600-06xx and $3xxx-3xxx). The created ML program can then be loaded from DOS L-binary load or with a gamedos and does not contain any Basic code anymore.

So extracting the Basic listing of such a pure COM/XEX (ML-program) is not possible. (It would be possible to extract the Basic listing of programs that have been created e.g. with BAS2COM by Raster.) However, there are programs (tools) that can convert ML programs into Basic Data lines, which would more or less reverse the K-binary save process... and they would save the work of typing in the many Data lines. But you would still have to add the lines with Basic code (start, end, run adresses) by hand then.

Edited by CharlieChaplin

See also here (http://forum.atarimania.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17763) in the atarimania MIA forums - I submitted all of the programs missing from AtariMania some years ago, including some little rewrites to make them run on hardware with disk-drives. This includes the original Ski Run basic program - which only works without DOS present, otherwise the BASIC code sits in the memory which the Ski Run code gets poked into - I couldn't fix that one.

Also: http://forum.atarimania.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17762

and various other single posts around that time.

Edited by wesmond
More detail
  • Like 2

Wesmond, if I had known, I wouldn't have typed Reaction Timer and Morse Code.

Thank you, especially for Ski Run.

I attach an ATR disk with all games (8.3 format filenames) and a zip file (complete filenames for Atarimania).

I think Lunar Landing was missing; I found it on my old floppy disks...

Games for your Atari.atrGames for your Atari.zip

• Like 5

23 hours ago, wesmond said:

This includes the original Ski Run basic program - which only works without DOS present, otherwise the BASIC code sits in the memory which the Ski Run code gets poked into - I couldn't fix that one.

Also: http://forum.atarimania.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17762

and various other single posts around that time.

You may use a gamedos instead (which can run Basic files, e.g. MyPicoDOS) or Bas2Boot or Bas2Com or something similar. And if you like playing with your data recorder, CSAVE it onto tape, then try CASDIS to convert and load it from diskette...

Or simply use the pure COM/XEX file which should load fine from DOS (and gamedos).

Edited by CharlieChaplin

Sorry I didn't get to the thread sooner to save you some work @Philsan - and also it's a wee bit frustrating that the files have mostly sat in the Atarimania MIA forum for most of 7 years now, and are still marked "MISSING" in the main database, or you might have found them more easily. AtariMania is my favourite website for browsing through such things, but how to be most helpful in filling in the gaps remains a mystery to me (as you'll see from all my forum messages...!)

Some of the other zips I'd posted there were about the 600xl games book by @Rybags that you're talking about in the other thread - I remember including original versions, but also updating a couple to use PEEK(106)-x instead of constant memory addresses, to stop the code getting corrupted when you run it. (That worked for my 800xl, but I later wondered if that might have broken it on a 600xl, ironically, given the title of the book!)

My method of testing the files was to type it up in a test editor, and then paste the text straight into Altirra (right click), having started it in Basic with no disk drive, but CharlieChaplin's methods sound much better.