IGNORED

Forum Upgrade Today, June 15th! PLEASE READ!

Albert

Just now, doctorclu said:

I like a lot of the changes, but I am seeing older messages where the pictures posted are gone.

I might need to get with you to recover (and edit) the ten years of messages on the Bubsy Bobcat Fan Blog to re-add the pictures and attachments.

Thanks in advance.

The post content is still being rebuilt, which will take several days. Images, quotes, and other content in posts that's currently hidden (and/or not being displayed properly) will reappear as the content is rebuilt.  You won't need to do anything, and the pictures aren't lost.  ;) 

..Al

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, doctorclu said:

I like a lot of the changes, but I am seeing older messages where the pictures posted are gone.

I might need to get with you to recover (and edit) the ten years of messages on the Bubsy Bobcat Fan Blog to re-add the pictures and attachments.

Thanks in advance.

The soup, she is not done.

• Like 1

Just now, Albert said:

The post content is still being rebuilt, which will take several days. Images, quotes, and other content in posts that's currently hidden (and/or not being displayed properly) will reappear as the content is rebuilt.  You won't need to do anything, and the pictures aren't lost.  ;) 

..Al

Ok, thanks for confirming.  Standing by....

5 minutes ago, doctorclu said:

Ok, thanks for confirming.  Standing by....

I'm not crazy about it either, but due to the fact that Invision completely rewrote the forum software as of 4.0 (this is 4.4.4, we were on 3.4.8), the database underwent rather massive changes.  Many of these require visiting each row in the database to make changes to the data.  The posts table alone is over four million posts, and the post data itself is rather complicated.  So that one alone will take a while for it to complete.  But it should all be done by the end of the week, if not sooner (I hope). 

..Al

8 minutes ago, TwentySixHundred said:

Is there intentions of bringing back the online status indicator next to users names?

Yes, that's on the (growing) list.  This was a third-party modification on the old forum, so I'll need to find one for the new forum.  I'm pretty certain someone's already written a plugin to do this.

..Al

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, piedude67 said:

How do i check my private messages?

Click on this icon in the upper-right corner of the page, to the right of the "Create" link.

image.png

That will pop up a list showing recent messages.  You can then click on an individual title to go right to that conversation, or you can click "Go to inbox" to go into the messenger directly. 

..Al

The 'Activity' feed is too detailed for me, even in condensed mode. Is there a way to only display the most recent, active topics rather than every post?

I tried to use the search feature but it is mandatory to type a word.

Edit: I may have found a solution using the 'unread content' feature even though, ironically, I have to set the 'read status' to everything, not just the unread content! ?

Edited by roots.genoa

8 minutes ago, stupus said:

Will signature info be rebuilt in?

And thanks Al for all you do for us here! :)

Signatures were disabled by default, so I just fixed that.  I may put restrictions on signatures, though, since some are getting rather...long and/or outlandish.  But for now I'll let them be, as I have much bigger fish to fry!  Thanks for pointing out that signatures were missing.

Just a note that any bbcode in signatures still needs to be rebuilt, and that will happen automatically over the next few days.

..Al

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TwentySixHundred said:

Ok a quick question about clubs, does it work like facebook as in members need approval to join or do we just 'follow' a club? I see Zerohomebrew has created a public club so im assuming by clicking on follow we become a member.

This is not a feature I've played around with much yet, so I need to do some reading on them before I can answer that.  I expect many clubs to be created on a variety of subjects, though, and it'll be interesting to watch them evolve.  For instance, I'll probably create a Tesla Fans club, if @SpiceWare doesn't beat me t! 

..Al

• Like 2

The upgrade looks ok so far. ? 

Following the current trend it is no surprise and I probably will get used to it, but the amount of (IMO) unnecessary whitespace has increased significantly. So there is quite a lot of extra scrolling back and forth required now. Are there maybe more condensed skins existing?

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Following the current trend it is no surprise and I probably will get used to it, but the amount of (IMO) unnecessary whitespace has increased significantly. So there is quite a lot of extra scrolling back and forth required now. Are there maybe more condensed skins existing?

I prefer to have more whitespace than having posts crammed up against one another, but I will be revising the theme over time (more so short-term) to address issues that people bring up.  I'm sure there are skins that have a more condensed view.  I've installed two third-party skins so far (including a dark theme since I know people like those), and I will explore adding additional skins.  I'll definitely look for one that has a denser layout.  Feel free to take a look here, as this is where I purchased the previous two skins (and most of the ones that were used on the old forum):

https://www.ipsfocus.com/

..Al

14 minutes ago, Utopia said:

Small issue, but when in messages I don't see a way to quickly navigate to the latest one. 

I am always clicking on the first message no matter what I try.

Am I missing something obvious? ?

I don't see a way to do it, either.  The obvious means would be to click on the time of the last post, which works in other areas of the forum, but that just opens up the conversation without scrolling to a particular post. I looked through the HTML source and there are anchors for each message in the thread, so it'd be trivial to jump to the last post.  I'll add this to my list of things to investigate (as I'm sure other admins have complained about it) and look for a fix.

..Al

1 minute ago, Albert said:

I don't see a way to do it, either.  The obvious means would be to click on the time of the last post, which works in other areas of the forum, but that just opens up the conversation without scrolling to a particular post. I looked through the HTML source and there are anchors for each message in the thread, so it'd be trivial to jump to the last post.  I'll add this to my list of things to investigate (as I'm sure other admins have complained about it) and look for a fix.

..Al

Thanks for the quick reply. Have you thought about getting some sleep?

3 hours ago, Albert said:

Greetings and welcome to the updated forum software as well as a brand new server!  For the next week or so there will still be some rough edges, so please bear with me as I work to get them resolved.  

In particular: 

• Post content is being rebuilt in the background.  Until that's finished, posts will be missing images, quote boxes, videos, and other embedded content. This is probably the most annoying thing, but I can't do anything about that except let those tasks churn behind the scenes..  There are over four million posts that have to be rebuilt!
  • The search engine will be offline until all the post content is rebuilt. 
  • The Downloads module is not yet active as it requires a fair bit of configuration.  I will be working on getting that online over the next week as well.  Should be a great resource for homebrew authors and fans!
  • The Twitter and Facebook logins may not work yet--I haven't tested them.  Will likely require me to do some configuration beyond what was setup in the old forum software. 
  • Two factor authentication will be enabled soon, for those who want to use it. 
  • The "indefinite editing" feature I programmed for the old software is not yet implemented on this software.  That's going to take a bit longer for me to get working, as it requires I learn the rather complex frameworks and API of this new software.  It's a high-priority task, though, and I'll get it working as quickly as I can.  Until then, if you need me to edit a post for you, please let me know and I can make the changes directly (PM me!) 
  • The AtariAge theme is still being worked on, although at this point any changes should be minor.  Some I can do myself easily enough, more advanced changes I'll leave to the professional skin designer.  
  • The store is currently offline as it also has to be upgraded (and it's quite brokekn at the moment).  I should have that back online Sunday. 
  • I am investigating adding Discord integration. 

Please comment in this thread if you have any questions or you see things that are obviously broken.  I have a list, and I'll be working from that.  

..Al

Too complicated....i cannot find my actual messages ?

• Confused 1