IGNORED

Forum Upgrade Today, June 15th! PLEASE READ!

Albert

I've been using the updated Invision on another site I'm a regular on.

Mixed opinions on it - a big annoyance is that the simple "New Content" feature that just listed the newest posts in order has been radically changed and is a pain to get it to work like it used to.

The WYSIWYG forum post/edit can be a hinderance at times.  And I don't much like the "feature" where when you select another page of a forum or thread how it scrolls back up then populates the page with the new data rather than the traditional way of just loading the page and instantly transitioning.

• Like 2

For those asking questions, don't forget to read the first post of this topic. Many missing features have already been explained. 

I'm quite happy with the improved functionality on mobile. Reading posts looks great, but I agree with the eventual need for a "compact" skin due to excessive whitespace when browsing forums and lists of topics. 

There's also a really minor issue where the popup that tells you there's a new reply to the topic you are browsing doesn't take you to the new reply when you click on it. 

Overall I like the new look and functionality. The default font sizes are a bit small to my increasingly old eyes, however. Is there any easy way to increase the render size, specially on mobile browsers that don’t have 3rd party plugins and font-size options that can help? 

1 hour ago, Random Terrain said:

Speaking of blogs, will lists in blog entries be automatically updated to the new style or will each blog user need to do that by hand? Also, will [horizontal rule] be changed to a blank line in the forums, blogs and profile pages? Horizontal rule used to make a blank line, but now it makes a horizontal line, like the name says.

I'm not sure.  We'll have to see what happens as the post content is rebuilt.

..Al

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Overall I like the new look and functionality. The default font sizes are a bit small to my increasingly old eyes, however. Is there any easy way to increase the render size, specially on mobile browsers that don’t have 3rd party plugins and font-size options that can help? 

I think the font sizes on the new forum versus the old one should be nearly the same, at least on the desktop.  I'll take a look on the phone, though--I remember the fonts being pretty small with the dedicated "mobile" skin on the old forum.

..Al

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Atarian7 said:

How do you make status updates?   I clicked on my name and didn't get that option. 

Also, is it possible to make a reply without going to the person's profile?

There should be a text entry box at the top of the Recent Status Updates box on the front page, and you should be able to also create a status update from your profile.  But you're not the first person to state they aren't able to create status updates, so I'll investigate that today and see what's going on.  I'm sure that's just a permissions issue that should be easy to fix.

..Al

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, hizzy said:

Are all of the downloads gone? 

This is temporary while post content is rebuilt.  Downloads (attachments), images, quote boxes, and other post elements will reappear.  It'll take several days for the post content to be rebuilt, as these are tasks running in the background. 

..Al

• Thanks 1

I was baffled by that @Albert , there was no text box for entering a status update UNTIL I tapped on the header text  “status update” in the window and then it suddenly appeared! 

My question... on the main forum page, on the right hand side, there are lists for the latest status updates, topics and blog entries. Any way to turn that off?

1 hour ago, Rybags said:

Mixed opinions on it - a big annoyance is that the simple "New Content" feature that just listed the newest posts in order has been radically changed and is a pain to get it to work like it used to.

I agree that the "Activity" streams are more complex than the simpler, hard-coded "New Content"-related features were on the old forum.  I can create new default "activity streams" that are visible to everyone that behave more like the default queries on the old forum.

1 hour ago, Rybags said:

The WYSIWYG forum post/edit can be a hinderance at times.  And I don't much like the "feature" where when you select another page of a forum or thread how it scrolls back up then populates the page with the new data rather than the traditional way of just loading the page and instantly transitioning.

I prefer the new editor to the old one.  The old editor had quite a few quirks, but the lack of a normal "preview" mode took a little getting used to for me.  I agree with the "ajax" page refreshes, and some of that I can probably disable so it behaves as it did before.  There are pros and cons to each.

..Al

6 minutes ago, SkydivinGirl said:

Boxes boxes everywhere.  Why is everything surrounded by boxes?  It makes for less content on a page and more scrolling.  Other than that, looks pretty good. :)

The boxes are keeping in line with the theme on the main site and in the store.  The earlier forum skin wasn't customized as much as this one, so there were few of the thicker blue boxes.  There are things I can do to tighten up the whitespace a bit on the main forum index, the forums pages (which show lists of topics), and the topics page (such as this one). 

..Al

5 minutes ago, Mayhem said:

I was baffled by that @Albert , there was no text box for entering a status update UNTIL I tapped on the header text  “status update” in the window and then it suddenly appeared! 

That's interesting, is this on desktop or mobile (or both?)

5 minutes ago, Mayhem said:

My question... on the main forum page, on the right hand side, there are lists for the latest status updates, topics and blog entries. Any way to turn that off?

Not at this time -- and I'm not sure why Invision removed that functionality.  I'm going to look to see if an enterprising third-party has added this back.

..Al

2 minutes ago, Albert said:

That's interesting, is this on desktop or mobile (or both?)

Currently viewing the site using Firefox on my iPad (had a weekend away!). I’ll have a look see on my laptop when I get home and if the same problem exists.

Nice software update. There a probably a few things I would tweak on the root pages of the forums, like having some separators or color delimiters between the lines, but I'll just let you tweak things yourself.  :)

There used to be a little "secret" button that I could click to remove the "Recent Status Update" block on the left side of the screen. Will that little button return? Then again, perhaps it would be better to have a setting for this in the user's settings section.

Okay, I think I’m going to like the Clubs function - I started one for 1088XEL/XLD owners and builders, and I can think of at least a couple others that would be super-useful (Hardware Hacking, for instance). So now that I’ve created one, I don’t see any option to create any content in the club.

2 minutes ago, Random Terrain said:

I'm not understanding the purpose of clubs. If a club is a separate section of the forums, are the threads viewable by the public? Can anyone post in a club thread or is it only open to members?

Clubs are intended to basically be "mini forums" that individual users can setup and run themselves to discuss more focused topics.  Kind of like Groups on Facebook, but certainly more useful and more organized than those.  The creator of the club can choose to create a club using five different schemes:

Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 7.33.37 AM.png

I just enabled the "Read Only" club type.  It is possible to have Club content visible elsewhere on the forum, but I think that would get too confusing and it's not the default setting, so I'll leave it as is for now.

..Al

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Pixelboy said:

There used to be a little "secret" button that I could click to remove the "Recent Status Update" block on the left side of the screen. Will that little button return? Then again, perhaps it would be better to have a setting for this in the user's settings section.

You're now the third or fourth person to ask about this, and I'm not sure why Invision removed the ability to hide the sidebar.  I'm gong to look today to see if anyone's created a third-party plugin that adds this functionality back.

..Al

• Like 2