IGNORED

Forum Upgrade Today, June 15th! PLEASE READ!

Albert

As a long-time Subscriber, I heartily encourage users of this Forum to take to heart Albert's suggestion to subscribe. It is not unreasonably expensive, in my opinion, and doing so provides perks like discounts on items purchased in the AtariAge Store.

Also, even with the changes from this upgrade, this site is STILL the cleanest and easiest to use of any forums I've read and contributed to. It is rare that ANY site does not include ads, and doing so would muddle this friendly, community-based environment.

So please, consider subscribing and help prevent Albert from HAVING to include ads just to keep the site up and running. AtariAge is the remarkable hub of a great community!

(Yes, Al is a friend. No, he didn't ask me to post this. Just needed saying.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I’m posting this from my mother’s old iPhone (5S or whatever it is).

27 minutes ago, Albert said:

Good to know, I haven't had a chance to try that yet.  Thanks for the confirmation.  I still want to see if the forum gracefully handles the lack of Javascript.

..Al

Quoting seems to work. This is much better than the previous phone version. Maybe someone needs to upgrade their Internet.

4 minutes ago, Random Terrain said:

I’m posting this from my mother’s old iPhone (5S or whatever it is).

Quoting seems to work. This is much better than the previous phone version. Maybe someone needs to upgrade their Internet.

Thanks for an additional confirmation, and with an older phone to boot. Do you know what version of iOS is on that?  The old mobile skin wasn't very good, and Tapatalk has its own issues.  I'm not sure I'm going to install Tapatalk here yet--that's a big security issue, and apparently they had a bug in the recent past that allowed people to see forums they didn't have access to..

..Al

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Albert said:

Yes, the old mobile skin was pretty terrible!

It worked great and thats all that mattered. now it is terrible to navigate. with 4 topics at a time compared to 10 or so on a screen I wont have time to scroll thru to check out the new content how it is set up. 

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, TwentySixHundred said:

I feel the older version for (PC) was more refined however that's probably because we are creatures of habit. Im sure ill get used to it, it's just an adjustment to the new interface i guess

I thought everything was perfect. I am a old change is bad person..

Nice work.  The new editor seems to work well and has been responsive, even on my older Win7 laptop.  It's all familiar yet fresh.

I like to browse the forums with my phone and the only thing that I find challenging now is how 'busy' it seems without the mobile option.  Before there were 8-9 topics visible at a time whereas now only 3-4 are visible, requiring a lot more scrolling and 'looking' to find things.  On the other hand, I didn't like posting from my phone via the mobile skin so now I have some new things to try :)

Thank you for all the effort to bring these updates to the forums.

1 minute ago, Jinks said:

I thought everything was perfect. I am a old change is bad person..

As I outlined in a post above, there absolutely was no way to avoid upgrading the forum, and really it should have happened a long time ago.  Invision 4.0 was released over four years ago.  I've been running another forum on this software for a while and there are definitely features I missed not having on the AtariAge forum (such as being able to much more easily insert photos/attachments in posts).  Things were breaking. No full-time HTTPS, which is quickly becoming a requirement.  Facebook and Twitter integration were broken.  Poor mobile support. 

I will be working to address issues as they come up, and I already have a nice list culled from this and other threads.  The theme will be refined, and I'll install additional themes as well in a variety of styles. I'll probably open up the stock Invision theme as well, perhaps with some minor color changes, as another option.

..Al

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

I like to browse the forums with my phone and the only thing that I find challenging now is how 'busy' it seems without the mobile option.  Before there were 8-9 topics visible at a time whereas now only 3-4 are visible, requiring a lot more scrolling and 'looking' to find things.  On the other hand, I didn't like posting from my phone via the mobile skin so now I have some new things to try :)

I will spend some time using the site on my phone and see what can be done about tightening up some of the pages (such as the topics view).  The responsive nature of the themes often results in pages that are considerably taller on a mobile device, because you're trying to fit in the same content on a much narrower device. 

..Al

3 hours ago, Karl G said:

It doesn't seem like there's anything broken enough that couldn't wait for a good rest. The forums are up and running, and people are posting away happily. 

Yeah, I too vote that Al should take a well-earned nap... we do get to vote on his sleep schedule, right? :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I definitely will be a fan of the unlimited editing once it becomes available again.  That's a necessity for the for-sale posts!

In the meantime, yeah, I don't like unnecessary change either, but after reading the announcement and this thread, I'm convinced this was necessary change.  So, I'll bite my tongue and teach myself to love the new site.  Whatever the little details, it's still AtariAge!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Albert said:

Boy, you're such a beacon of happiness, did you get out of the bed on the wrong side today?  This sounds more like an issue with your end than with the forum.  I have not had anyone tell me they haven't been able to connect to the forum or that it's been slow.  It's 2019, most sites are going to full-time HTTPS, which isn't a bad thing.  And mobile support is much better in this version than it was with the old.  What kind of phone are you using?  Nobody is kicking you out.

The old forum software was over four years old, had various problems and was no longer supported.  That means no more security patches, no more updates to support changing APIs with third-parties, no full-time HTTPS support which was being pointed out loudly by modern web browsers, would not work with modern versions of PHP and MySQL, and various other issues. So, no, it will not be coming back, and I should have migrated to this version long before it actually happened. 

..Al

I can certainly say that there are NO issues with me connecting on any device I own.  The site is faster, properly scales based on device type, etc.  Are there things I do not like about the new look - yes.  Why is that?  Because they are new to me and I hate change :)  I'll grow to get used to it over time.

Big thanks Al.  Been a member since 2001 and long time subscriber to help offset costs.  Let's all remember folks, this is not Al's job, it's a hobby for him, and a damned expensive one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Albert said:

I'm not going to remove this confirmation, since there's no way to undo that action.  It's something I rarely use myself and I'd be peeved if I accidentally clicked it and it marked everything on the forum as read.

..Al

I have done this by accident a couple of times.  Yes, please do not remove the confirmation.

The only "complaint" I have at this point, which is universal to a lot of websites, is the amount of vertical real estate consumed by the layout makes it so I must scroll to view things on my puny 1366x768 laptop screen.  (I expect my upcoming laptop refresh will contain a better resolution screen so this should not be a bother to me for much longer.)

I am looking forward to trying out the new editor by re-doing a couple of my blog entries.  I have been wishing for this upgrade for a while :)  I am also hoping the new editor is a little more intelligent about code sections.  (Bummer! The blog header graphics are gone. I used mine to kind-of categorized my entries, few that they are. I guess I will just wait until all the background tasks are complete.)

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Dionoid said:

Facebook integration seems to be broken after the forum upgrade (see screenshot of the error below).

Other than that, I really like the new, fresh look. Great job, Albert!imageproxy.php?img=&key=ca33d2fe2d526533

I'm going to work on fixing this over the next 24 hours.  Twitter integration may be broken also, although I haven't tested that yet.

..Al