IGNORED

Forum Upgrade Today, June 15th! PLEASE READ!

Albert

21 hours ago, Albert said:

I haven't looked at it on an iPad yet, but will do so today.

..Al

Now on my proper PC with Firefox looking at the site and the Status Update text box is showing correctly, so might have just been a mobile browser problem.

And in the process of submitting that reply above, noticed something else, don't know if it was in the previous forum build or not.

If you are on page X, and quote and reply to someone, but the latest page is page X+4 for example, when you submit the reply, you aren't taken to the last page. So I submitted, thought nothing had happened, submitted again, when to the last page and then realised I'd posted twice. So editing the second reply to put this here! @Albert you can probably remember better than me on this front!

Edited by Mayhem
Double post originally

While I can't post status updates, I do notice an option for me to create calendar events that I'm not sure that I rate.  I mean if I do, that's great, I've always personally thought the forum needed to celebrate 'Falcostag' the anniversary of Falco's fatal car accident.  Ah, Falco--heaven has another angel.

per discussion over in my old han solo status update (lol)

Under 'create' I should probably see:

STATUS, TOPIC, BLOG ENTRY, and GALLERY IMAGE

but instead I have:

TOPIC, GALLERY IMAGE, EVENT

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Philsan said:

I think that on mobile there's too much blank unused space:

Screenshot_20190617-092501.thumb.png.10c539e4172a16ca3bcfe658f3c44e18.png

Yes, I agree, I was playing around with it yesterday.  Definitely need to fix that, and also the main forum index I'll remove the forum descriptions which are not necessary on mobile (may end up removing them altogether, even on desktop, to make it easier to find the forum you're looking for).

..Al

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Mallard Games said:

That's weird cause I remember being able to access the forums through Tapatalk not long ago and never encountering that issue.

Taptalk was working until the forum upgrade.  I have to do some research on the current version of Tapatalk before I consider reinstalling it here.

..Al

6 hours ago, sixersfan105 said:

@Albert Digging the new forum software so far! One quick note that I haven't seen mentioned. I get that some pictures are missing from posts and such, but does part of that include missing posts altogether? I ask because I noticed 2-3 messages in one private message thread completely disappeared during the update/upgrade, and they have not returned. Those messages did not have photos in them. Thought I would bring it to your attention, in case it's separate from the "missing pictures" thing that is part of the process.

Thanks!

Any PMs that were sent after the forum initially was taken down to begin the upgrade process would be lost.  At that point the forum database was exported and copied to this server so the upgrade could be performed on it.  I left the old forum online in a read-only state, except for PMs and the Announcements forum so people could at least use those two areas during the upgrade.

..Al

13 minutes ago, Reaperman said:

While I can't post status updates, I do notice an option for me to create calendar events that I'm not sure that I rate.  I mean if I do, that's great, I've always personally thought the forum needed to celebrate 'Falcostag' the anniversary of Falco's fatal car accident.  Ah, Falco--heaven has another angel.

per discussion over in my old han solo status update (lol)

Under 'create' I should probably see:

STATUS, TOPIC, BLOG ENTRY, and GALLERY IMAGE

but instead I have:

TOPIC, GALLERY IMAGE, EVENT

I am investigating this.  I already posted a topic on the Invision forum, and if I don't get any answers there, I'll file a support ticket (I already have two support tickets open for other issues).

..Al

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mr_me said:

A compact theme might help for mobile.  For example, hiding the section descriptions, and anything else to get more topics listed on the screen.  I could even see two levels of compact themes.  The display of posts within a topic is fine. 

The area to click to go to the last post from a topic list is too small.  You often tap on the user link instead.

I'm definitely going to fix the mobile skin so it's more compact, I was using it yesterday and the topics view is a bit ridiculous.  And the main forum index I'm going to make much more compact as well and remove the forum descriptions, which are unnecessary.  I'll look at the link to go to the last post from the topic list as well, thanks for pointing that out.

..Al

• Like 4

Once the attachments are loaded onto the forum all will be good. 

That is allot of data to be brought in so it makes sense it will take time. 

Thank you for all your hard work Alberta on this site.

I need to re sub soon. Anyone who can please support Atariage as it is easily the best classic gaming website on planet earth.

Ads?? Who the heck wants that?SUBSCRIBE NOW!!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, pacman000 said:

Quick question: Who liked what posts?

On your profile there used to be a list of all the posts someone had "liked." I can't find that anymore.

I'm not sure if this feature is gone -- the new software definitely lets you see who reacted to specific posts, but I haven't figure out where this is enabled.  Just made a post on the Invision forum asking how to enable this. I'm not sure there's any way to get a nice listing of who reacted to your posts, though.

..Al

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Albert said:

I'm not sure if this feature is gone -- the new software definitely lets you see who reacted to specific posts, but I haven't figure out where this is enabled.  Just made a post on the Invision forum asking how to enable this. I'm not sure there's any way to get a nice listing of who reacted to your posts, though.

Quoting myself here -- apparently I was the only one who couldn't see the names of people reacting to posts, as it was disabled for the Admin account. Which I just fixed. Someone did confirm that the like counts will be translated to reactions (presumably "thumbs up"), probably that will happen as part of the whole "rebuilding content" business that's taking place in the background right now.

..Al

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, helocast said:

Well, the jury is still out on my end whether this forum "change" is better or not.

I suppose I could get used to it.

I think this new version of the forum is much better technically and feature-wise.  I can understand that some people may not like the updated forum theme.  As I've stated previously, this will continue to be tweaked, and I'm open to suggestions / criticism as well.  I already have a nice list of things to work on, and I'll be able to dive into those whole hog once I get another large batch of store orders out (which I'll be focused on for the next few days).  I upgraded the store and got that back online last night, so once I get the orders out, I'll be able to spend a solid week further refining the forum and enabling some additional features (like the Downloads module).

..Al

• Like 1

Not a fan so far. The 'unread content' thread presentation is my most disliked aspect. So giant and blocky and facebook-ized, and it looks nothing like the forum list of threads.

In general, so far I have to say I dislike the visual presentation. It seems like the same bad UI philosophy change that's been percolating through technology for the last 5 years or so...giant blocky wastes of screen space with big flat colorful buttons every where. I think that somebody somewhere back then decided that we can't handle dense lists, plus they are all desperate to turn everything into a phone. 

I'm sure the technical underpinnings are a big improvement, though, and I'll eventually get used to the visuals if history is any guide.

Edited by danwinslow
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Albert said:

I'm definitely going to fix the mobile skin so it's more compact, I was using it yesterday and the topics view is a bit ridiculous.  And the main forum index I'm going to make much more compact as well and remove the forum descriptions, which are unnecessary.  I'll look at the link to go to the last post from the topic list as well, thanks for pointing that out.

..Al

Awesome, that is pretty much the only gripe I have with the upgrade.  I was going to make a post asking if you could hide the descriptions.  :)  Looks fine on PC, but wow, that's a lot of scrolling on a phone!

Click the hamburger icon in the upper right corner of the page. You'll then get a pop up. Click the speech bubbles icon, which will show you your last few messages. You can then click "Go to inbox" to enter the messenger. 

CF4064B8-06C0-453B-8AE1-82537EB4D566.png

Im going to add a direct link to make this easier and more obvious. 

• Like 2

Just now, thanatos said:

Awesome, that is pretty much the only gripe I have with the upgrade.  I was going to make a post asking if you could hide the descriptions.  :)  Looks fine on PC, but wow, that's a lot of scrolling on a phone!

Yeah, it's a bit ridiculous.  Going to ask the skin designer (whom I've already paid a handsome sum of money to)  to clean up some of these pages.  I'm working on a list of changes for the desktop skin as well.

..Al

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Albert said:

Click the hamburger icon in the upper right corner of the page. You'll then get a pop up. Click the speech bubbles icon, which will show you your last few messages. You can then click "Go to inbox" to enter the messenger. 

CF4064B8-06C0-453B-8AE1-82537EB4D566.png

Im going to add a direct link to make this easier and more obvious. 

Thank You !!!