IGNORED

Forum Upgrade Today, June 15th! PLEASE READ!

Albert

25 minutes ago, atari2600land said:

Is there a limit to how many notifications I can have? Or a way to delete them? Seems like I'm getting an unusually large amount of them.

I don't know about deleting old notifications, but if you click the "Globe" icon in the upper-right, you should see an option to open your notification settings.  There, you can reduce the number of new notifications you receive, or disable them entirely.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, jaybird3rd said:

I don't know about deleting old notifications, but if you click the "Globe" icon in the upper-right, you should see an option to open your notification settings.  There, you can reduce the number of new notifications you receive, or disable them entirely.

This.  :)

2 hours ago, danwinslow said:

In general, so far I have to say I dislike the visual presentation. It seems like the same bad UI philosophy change that's been percolating through technology for the last 5 years or so...giant blocky wastes of screen space with big flat colorful buttons every where. I think that somebody somewhere back then decided that we can't handle dense lists, plus they are all desperate to turn everything into a phone. 

This. 100% this!

Still looking for a more condensed skin. Maybe someone else can help?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Albert said:

Yeah, it's a bit ridiculous.  Going to ask the skin designer (whom I've already paid a handsome sum of money to)  to clean up some of these pages.  I'm working on a list of changes for the desktop skin as well.

Would I be able to use the condensed mobile skin on my desktop too?

3 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Would I be able to use the condensed mobile skin on my desktop too?

It doesn't quite work that way..  The skin changes depending on the width of the device, and will follow different paths to create an optimal view for the display being used.  So if a theme is optimized for a mobile device, those changes won't necessarily reflect when using a desktop (or tablet). 

..Al

16 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

This. 100% this!

Still looking for a more condensed skin. Maybe someone else can help?

I have to agree, but then again as Al mentioned not everything is done yet.  I'm holding off on any judgement until everything finished, then I'll make suggestions.  Until then I'm just looking for bugs.

5 hours ago, Albert said:

Any PMs that were sent after the forum initially was taken down to begin the upgrade process would be lost.  At that point the forum database was exported and copied to this server so the upgrade could be performed on it.  I left the old forum online in a read-only state, except for PMs and the Announcements forum so people could at least use those two areas during the upgrade.

..Al

Ok got it. Thanks for the info. Also of note, I am not able to edit older posts of mine, which I've always been able to do as a subscriber. It's especially useful to edit the top post in a thread in the marketplace with updated inventory, etc. Is this no longer permitted with the new software? Or perhaps there's a new limit to how old the most can be to be able to edit? I see where it's letting me edit posts I made on June 5, 2019, but not a marketplace post that I've been continuously editing since last November...

Thanks.

1 minute ago, sixersfan105 said:

Also of note, I am not able to edit older posts of mine, which I've always been able to do as a subscriber. It's especially useful to edit the top post in a thread in the marketplace with updated inventory, etc. Is this no longer permitted with the new software? Or perhaps there's a new limit to how old the most can be to be able to edit? I see where it's letting me edit posts I made on June 5, 2019, but not a marketplace post that I've been continuously editing since last November...

This was something I added to the earlier forum, and I did so by directly modifying the forum source code.  These changes have to be rewritten from scratch for the new software, and that can only be done once I study the forum frameworks and API.  I may see if I can get a third-party developer to code this for me in the interest of time. If you need changes to a post, please send me a PM and I can help you directly. 

..Al

• Like 1

Albert, would it be possible to post your to-do list as a sticky someplace? Maybe call it "known issues?"

There are a few FAQs that keep coming up, and this thread is getting too long to expect people to read the whole thing before asking questions. 

I'd be willing to help if you want it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Flojomojo said:

Albert, would it be possible to post your to-do list as a sticky someplace? Maybe call it "known issues?"

There are a few FAQs that keep coming up, and this thread is getting too long to expect people to read the whole thing before asking questions. 

I'd be willing to help if you want it. 

Yes, I actually plan on doing that.  

..Al

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Albert said:

This was something I added to the earlier forum, and I did so by directly modifying the forum source code.  These changes have to be rewritten from scratch for the new software, and that can only be done once I study the forum frameworks and API.  I may see if I can get a third-party developer to code this for me in the interest of time. If you need changes to a post, please send me a PM and I can help you directly. 

..Al

Ok got it. Many thanks! I'm glad it will be added back in in time. I'll probably just create a new listing to make things easier. I don't want to waste your time on a small thing like manually editing my post :)

I've got mixed feelings about this new skin on the forums. It looks (on a 1080p monitor) like a mobile site being loaded in a desktop browser, everything is huge and spread out, with a ton of wasted space. I have to zoom out to 80% to try to make it look a bit more like a desktop site.

Edited by Guspaz

4 minutes ago, Guspaz said:

I've got mixed feelings about this new skin on the forums. It looks like a mobile site being loaded in a desktop browser, everything is huge and spread out, with a ton of wasted space. I have to zoom out to 80% to try to make it look a bit more like a desktop site.

What you see today is probably not the final result, it's still being worked on. Others have expressed the same concerns about the  s p r e a d  of everything in the new theme, especially on mobile. 

The other installed themes are a little tighter, particularly the Invision default theme. I prefer the AA theme though and will stick with it thru the changes.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Guspaz said:

I've got mixed feelings about this new skin on the forums. It looks (on a 1080p monitor) like a mobile site being loaded in a desktop browser, everything is huge and spread out, with a ton of wasted space. I have to zoom out to 80% to try to make it look a bit more like a desktop site.

I don't agree with this entirely.  It's only slightly more spread out compared to the stock Invision skin (I just took a look and compared a few longer pages).  I've enabled the Invision skin if anyone wants to use that.  Doesn't have the 3 pixel blue borders, so some may prefer it.  I'll probably customize it slightly (to update the colors, add the AtariAge logo to the top), but that's it..  You can choose different themes at the bottom-left corner of the page :

Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 12.22.33 PM.png

I will work on tightening up the AtariAge skin a bit, most especially on mobile, but I can make improvements in this area for desktop as well.  it's going to be several days before I can really sit down and look at this closely, though. 

..Al

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

What you see today is probably not the final result, it's still being worked on. Others have expressed the same concerns about the  s p r e a d  of everything in the new theme, especially on mobile. 

The other installed themes are a little tighter, particularly the Invision default theme. I prefer the AA theme though and will stick with it thru the changes.

Heh, funny you said that after I just looked at the Invision theme..  That theme certainly has more white space in areas, but I think the fonts are a bit smaller.  I don't really like that theme too much as I feel it's very bland. 

..Al

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

I'll probably install a third-party app for managing stuff like this.. 

Ugh, I need to fix that header in that box above this..  That is horrible. 

..Al

18 minutes ago, Albert said:

I'll probably install a third-party app for managing stuff like this.. 

Ugh, I need to fix that header in that box above this..  That is horrible. 

..Al

That sounds like a plan. I’ve seen that illegible color scheme elsewhere. I think it was the Clubs list. Blue on black, low contrast. Should be white text I think.