IGNORED

Forum Upgrade Today, June 15th! PLEASE READ!

Albert

3 hours ago, VectorGamer said:

What happened to "Ignore Topic"? I don't see the button anywhere and it looks like topics I previously ignored are now showing up in my stream.

I've purchased and installed the latest version of the "Ignore Topic" plugin.  You should see a red "Ignore This Topic" button at the top of any threads.  Any topics you've previously ignored should still be honored.  You can check those by going to your settings. 

image.png

..Al

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

No - it's things like the bar with the topic taking up three "lines" of space, with only one "line" of text in the middle.  There is absolutely no need for 12 points of whitespace above and below a 12 point font.

It's difficult to alter some things like this, as doing so can break the mobile and tablet views.  If you look at the other skins that are installed they are pretty much the same way, or even worse in case of the stock Invision skin.  But you'll see that all four are laid out essentially the same way. 

It's a trade off between customizing the skin and being able to easily upgrade it in the future.  One of the things that bit me in the ass was making lots of code changes to the forum, which made it much more difficult to upgrade.  So now I have to rewrite those modifications (like the indefinite post editing abilities) or pay a third party handsomely to do so, and to do so using the proper techniques (which are more evolved now) so I can stay on top of forum upgrades.  This applies to the skin as well--CSS changes are generally safe and won't effect upgrading, and quite a bit can be done on that front.  But once you start modifying the actual HTML templates, those all have to be hand-merged every time a new version of the software is released (which is fairly often, especially with the 4.x series).  Thus far I've only made two very minor template changes, and it's certainly in my best interest to keep that number low.

..Al

• Like 1

This may have been asked/answered already, but for viewing "Content I follow" (i.e. threads that I've posted in), is there a way to limit it to just a single line? e.g. All I want to know is that there's new replies in the "New Atari Console that Ataribox?" thread.. I don't need to see 25 lines showing every one of those posts :lol:

• Like 1

I'm having to do a hefty amount of editing of my blog posts, formatting and adding images back. So as I'm going through and re-editing I'm noticing that as I update my posts they're being shown on the front page in the blogs section, and I'm just completely flooding it. Would it be possible to only have just new posts listed in the blogs section of the front page and not new posts and edited posts? I just don't want to bury somebody's post with my constant editing.

7 minutes ago, DoctorSpuds said:

I'm having to do a hefty amount of editing of my blog posts, formatting and adding images back. So as I'm going through and re-editing I'm noticing that as I update my posts they're being shown on the front page in the blogs section, and I'm just completely flooding it. Would it be possible to only have just new posts listed in the blogs section of the front page and not new posts and edited posts? I just don't want to bury somebody's post with my constant editing.

Please don't do this, the background processes rebuilding content will do this automatically, as I've been repeating over and over.

..Al

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, NE146 said:

This may have been asked/answered already, but for viewing "Content I follow" (i.e. threads that I've posted in), is there a way to limit it to just a single line? e.g. All I want to know is that there's new replies in the "New Atari Console that Ataribox?" thread.. I don't need to see 25 lines showing every one of those posts :lol:

This seems to work:

image.png

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, NE146 said:

I want this, too.

I don't want to see every post.  I just want to see the topics that have new posts (like the original Content I Follow).

but we cannot change the default setting, so we need to do this:

1) Select the "Content I Follow"

2) Change the Show Me dropdown into "Content items only"

3) Set any other filter/setting as desired

4) Click the "Save as New Stream" and give it a name, like "The Old Skool Content I Follow" (mine is called, "The Real Content I Follow")

5) It will now appear in the list of streams be picked from

(for some reason I can't attached pictures right now :()

I'd imagine that Albert could change this default setting, so we don't need to create a custom stream for something that previously existed (hint hint ;))

2 hours ago, Albert said:

It's difficult to alter some things like this, as doing so can break the mobile and tablet views.  If you look at the other skins that are installed they are pretty much the same way, or even worse in case of the stock Invision skin.  But you'll see that all four are laid out essentially the same way. 

It's a trade off between customizing the skin and being able to easily upgrade it in the future.  One of the things that bit me in the ass was making lots of code changes to the forum, which made it much more difficult to upgrade.  So now I have to rewrite those modifications (like the indefinite post editing abilities) or pay a third party handsomely to do so, and to do so using the proper techniques (which are more evolved now) so I can stay on top of forum upgrades.  This applies to the skin as well--CSS changes are generally safe and won't effect upgrading, and quite a bit can be done on that front.  But once you start modifying the actual HTML templates, those all have to be hand-merged every time a new version of the software is released (which is fairly often, especially with the 4.x series).  Thus far I've only made two very minor template changes, and it's certainly in my best interest to keep that number low.

..Al

While I mostly enjoy the changes, I'll have to second Stephen - all themes (and definitely the default one) appear very spread out, with so much white space everywhere. It's even worse on my phone (Note 9 and Chrome). I get the reasons to keep it stock, but it really makes a big difference in readability for me. 

EDIT: Never mind, looks perfect on my MBP and Chrome now, mobile view still very vertically white-spaced.

Edited by polbit

I apologize if it has been asked before- I didn't go through this whole thread.

In the old system, whenever I viewed unread posts/threads, it used to show the list of threads themselves with unread messages. Now, it only shows the messages themselves. I've played with it a little, but couldn't figure it out. Is there a way to create a view like the old way? 

If not, I will adapt... just asking.

EDIT: Nevermind - figured it out. "Condensed" View looks like the old one.

Edited by R.Cade

17 minutes ago, polbit said:

While I mostly enjoy the changes, I'll have to second Stephen - all themes (and definitely the default one) appear very spread out, with so much white space everywhere. It's even worse on my phone (Note 9 and Chrome). I get the reasons to keep it stock, but it really makes a big difference in readability for me. 

EDIT: Never mind, looks perfect on my MBP and Chrome now, mobile view still very vertically white-spaced.

I really don't understand all the complaints about the desktop theme of the forum, it's not that significantly different from the old forum.  The 3 pixel blue borders are a bit overdone and I will tone that down, and I'll tighten up the skin a bit to make it slightly denser where I can. 

I absolutely agree with the mobile view, though, and that needs to change in a big way, and it will.  

..Al

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Albert said:

I really don't understand all the complaints about the desktop theme of the forum, it's not that significantly different from the old forum.  The 3 pixel blue borders are a bit overdone and I will tone that down, and I'll tighten up the skin a bit to make it slightly denser where I can. 

I absolutely agree with the mobile view, though, and that needs to change in a big way, and it will.  

..Al

Al, upon the update I immediately switched to the dark theme (I was on my phone...), and as it stands on the desktop, it doesn't full expand horizontally when my browser window is maximized (good 1.5" on each side), and it can use some tightening. The default theme however, looks perfectly fine, is fully expanded, and provides additional two topics in the view. No complaints here.

Situation is flipped on mobile, as the default theme seems to be the one with most white-space. Unfortunately the site is blocked at corporate level in my office, so I'm relegated to the phone...

Finally discovered why some people are not able to create Status Updates.  If you're one of these people, go into your profile, then click the "Edit Profile" button.  Look for "Enable status updates", make sure it's on (will be green), then scroll down and click on the "Save" button.  You should then be able to create Status Updates. 

image.png

..Al

• Like 3

Have there been any reports of needing to reset ones's password every few hours?  Since the update after a few hours of activity (or inactivity) I am required to sign back in however when I enter my username and password I'm told it is invalid. I then reset my password and am able to sign in for a few hours.  At first I thought I was fat-fingering the password or account so I paid very close attention.  I am signing in with a forum account, not linked to any other service.  I do not allow my browser to remember passwords. Thank you.

7 hours ago, pacman000 said:

https://atariage.com/forums/profile/62192-pacman000/reputation/?type=forums_topic_post&change_section=1

You can see what you reacted to mixed with reactions to your posts. Is there a way to just see who reacted to your posts?

I'm for this too!  I even created a new thread for it as it isn't really a high priority item.

I actually discovered there are 2 different "views" of the reputation.  One is right on your profile where it gives you a readout report of all your activity including reputation.  In that view it begins the statement with the alias of the person who gave the feedback:

image.thumb.png.270de4f52e02306db88a6613ceba1055.png

You can also click on See Reputation Activity in the top left and that opens a different view:

image.png.b6f26bc70ef98d338be3366991a8c3f0.png

Click "Posts" in the left sidebar and voila

image.png.e7b740d7c42dd4b44c1fccd88fe6c7cf.png

Here the statement always begins with your alias name, but thankfully there is a little picture so you can quickly discern if it was you giving the feedback or receiving it.  However, I'd still like to be able to view only feedback received or add other filters.

4 hours ago, Albert said:

You'll need to use your display name (InsaneMultitasker) instead of a login name if that was different on the old forum.  The login name has been eliminated in lieu of just having a single login/display name. 

..Al

Thanks, I will give that a try next time.  When I log in the first (and only) time following each password reset, it is succeeding with my user name versus my display name, so I didn't catch on to that change.

Edit: using the display name worked.  Still getting logged out, even with the 'remember me' option checked, but at least I can get back in!

Too much choice is worse than no choice at all. That is a quote from my grade 8 teacher. 

Wow is Albert a machine or what dealing with all our gripes!! 

It will be nice when this is all finished and people know how to use all the new features. It will just take time..have to put in effort to learn all the new ways..

Maybe we are all too old for changes??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jinks said:

Too much choice is worse than no choice at all. That is a quote from my grade 8 teacher. 

Wow is Albert a machine or what dealing with all our gripes!! 

It will be nice when this is all finished and people know how to use all the new features. It will just take time..have to put in effort to learn all the new ways..

Maybe we are all too old for changes??

No, a lot of us turn 50, this year.  We are still churning out code and get used to change. ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Rev said:

This may of already been answered.  Is there an ETA on files in PMs coming back?   Example, game ROM files are missing.

Thanks Albert!

I'm working on it.  I filed another support ticket an hour ago with Invision as the background tasks are going much more slowly than they should be.

..Al

3 minutes ago, Albert said:

I'm working on it.  I filed another support ticket an hour ago with Invision as the background tasks are going much more slowly than they should be.

..Al

No prob.    At least have a cold beer while we wait.  ?