IGNORED

Forum Upgrade Today, June 15th! PLEASE READ!

Albert

4 minutes ago, splendidnut said:

So far, outside of the loss of the nice minimal mobile interface, this upgrade has definitely been a very nice improvement.  Thank you for all your hard work!

Thanks for the support.  The mobile interface will be improved soon, I'm working on that, I know some pages on that suck at the moment. 

..Al

• Like 1

Kudos to the work to do this mammoth update @Albert Been patiently waiting for the index to rebuild as I have realized how dependant I have been on it for finding stuff in the information treasure trove that is the AtariAge forums.

A few things that I wanted to ask about...

1. Replying to a post starting with a quote - I finally figured out how to enter test above a quote... you have to type something BELOW the quote, then use the quote box handles to move it below your own text. However, dragging that handle seems impossible on mobile... I used to solve these types of issues by just switching to the plaintext/markdown view and fix up the tags. Is there any possibility of a source/plaintext editing option like before?

2. Every page on the forum now gets sent with headers that prevent browser caching. This is great for site statistics as the server gets logs of every page load, even when pressing the "back" button, but it also means extra server load (bad for you) and a new lag (bad for users) when pressing "back". Previously, I would enter topics, and press "Back" to instantly be back at the previous (locally cached) page, allowing quick navigation to the next topic in the list. When I wanted a refresh of the topic list, I would press F5 or use the breadcrumb link.  For example, loading the Atari 8-bit forum topic list Just now took 12 seconds - it would be nice to not have to be subjected to that every time - and again when going "back" to the topic list. This also incurs extra data use / re-rendering of topic lists on mobile when using "back".

Maybe some of the aggressive anti-caching headers can be backed off, at least on topic lists...

Example response headers seen on topic list pages:

Expires: Thu, 19 Nov 1981 08:52:00 GMT
Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate
Pragma: no-cache

Cheers! :thumbsup:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nezgar said:

1. Replying to a post starting with a quote - I finally figured out how to enter test above a quote... you have to type something BELOW the quote, then use the quote box handles to move it below your own text. However, dragging that handle seems impossible on mobile... I used to solve these types of issues by just switching to the plaintext/markdown view and fix up the tags. Is there any possibility of a source/plaintext editing option like before?

Unfortunately, I think the source editing option is gone for good. I'm on my phone now, and I see what you mean about the inability to drag the quote box. I will need to ask about this on the Invision forum. What I would do for now is type text before you add a quote, then add the quote after your text. 

2 hours ago, Nezgar said:

Maybe some of the aggressive anti-caching headers can be backed off, at least on topic lists...

I will look into the anti-caching headers. The server itself is doing a considerable amount of caching, but I am also seeing slow page loads on some pages. There is no reason this should be happening based on the hardware, so it's obvious the configurations of the web server and database server need to be tweaked. I won't be able to dive into that until early next week. It especially seems strange to me that loading up some forums takes a long time, such as what you described with the Atari 8-bit Forum. Ultimately this forum should be faster than the old, and I'll work to make sure that is the case. 

..Al

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, FujiSkunk said:

This is a minor thing, but I noticed some videos added to pre-upgrade posts did not carry over.  For example, this post by CPUWIZ originally had a video that's not there anymore.  But this post I made just before his still has its video.

That annoys me.  I was able to edit the post, look at the source and fix the link.  However, that's probably happened to other videos.  This is what happened to the link:

<p>
  <object height="350" width="425">
    <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAtZBE5XXFo">
    <param name="wmode" value="transparent">
    <embed height="350" src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAtZBE5XXFo" 
           type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" wmode="transparent">
    </embed>
  </object>
</p>

The URL is completely screwed up.  This is something I could probably fix easily with a query, but I'll need to do some trolling through the database to see how often this occurs and if it's consistent.  Will post on the Invision forum as well to see if anyone else saw this after a conversion.  Thanks for bringing this up.

..Al

• Like 2

I noticed some speed issues the past day.  This page takes 15 seconds to fully load:

https://atariage.com/forums/forum/12-atari-8-bit-computers/

This is from different physical locations on the Internet.

root_library.js seems to be the bulk of the time.

I see the problem mostly in Safari 12.1.1.  FireFox and Chrome seem to be using a local cache, but even Chrome is slower than Firefox.

It could just be me... and my iPad.. and my work computers and my home computers... :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No, it's not just you, there's definitely an issue with forums taking a long time to load. That's really the only page I've seen load slowly, and the Atari 8-bit Forum seems to load particularly slowly for some reason.  I will get to the bottom of it, but will likely not be until early next week.

Pretty much everything else seems to be fast or reasonable as far as loading times go.  Just loading an individual forum takes much longer than it should, which is really strange. 

..Al

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Albert said:

Just loading an individual forum takes much longer than it should, which is really strange. 

You know how they say that you should break up a big job into little parts and deal with each one separately instead of trying to hold the whole thing in your mind? I wonder if the Invision software is trying to hold all of the pages of a forum it its 'mind' instead of simply displaying the first page of posts?

10 seconds = 53 pages

13 seconds = 77 pages

21 seconds = 590 pages

21 minutes ago, Albert said:

No, it's not just you, there's definitely an issue with forums taking a long time to load. That's really the only page I've seen load slowly, and the Atari 8-bit Forum seems to load particularly slowly for some reason.  I will get to the bottom of it, but will likely not be until early next week.

Pretty much everything else seems to be fast or reasonable as far as loading times go.  Just loading an individual forum takes much longer than it should, which is really strange. 

..Al

OK.. so I'm not going THAT crazy.  

Did you ever get the member icon sizes fixed?  I don't see a punch list at the head of this thread with things marked off...hence why I asked.  I know you are super busy ... 

Just now, kheller2 said:

Did you ever get the member icon sizes fixed?  I don't see a punch list at the head of this thread with things marked off...hence why I asked.  I know you are super busy ...

I have not done that yet, sorry.  I haven't had a lot of time yet to go through smaller items like that, as I've been focused on getting some of the bigger things done (like getting the "indefinite editing" functionality back).  I have posted a list here:

Probably I'm going to install a proper issue tracking app for the forum so I can more easily keep track of these tasks, as well as allow others to add and comment on issues.

..Al

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, kheller2 said:

Looks like the forum is scaling it until the smallest dimension fills the box, in your case vertically.

You could work around the issue by creating a new icon that is square, as in, add whitespace above and below your image.

1 hour ago, Albert said:

..Al

I don't know if this is of any relevance, but I noticed that the page loads almost instantly if I logout and browse the forums as guest.

47 minutes ago, alex_79 said:

I don't know if this is of any relevance, but I noticed that the page loads almost instantly if I logout and browse the forums as guest.

Any pages viewed by a Guest are cached for 30 seconds, so if another guest has viewed it in that time (which is likely for the main index as well as the more popular forums), it should come up immediately since significantly fewer queries are required. 

..Al

• Like 1

Well, the cause of the slowdown on the Forums page appears to be one of the plugins I've installed.  I disabled all of them and those pages load normally.  I now have to try and nail down which of the plugins (assuming it's just one) is causing the issue.  I setup the MySQL slow_query_log for any queries that are taking longer than two seconds to run, and found two threads that are coming up very slowly (16-17 seconds to bring up a single page of the thread):

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/223548-the-official-neo-geo-thread/
https://atariage.com/forums/topic/242970-fpga-based-videogame-system/

The first thread has over 19,000 posts, the second some 13,500 posts.  However, there are other large threads (like the Ataribox thread) that are similar in size but are not causing this issue.  I've filed a support ticket with Invision so they can investigate. 

Now to try and figure out which plugin is causing the forum page slowdown so I can bring it up with the plugin author.

..Al

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Albert said:

Well, the cause of the slowdown on the Forums page appears to be one of the plugins I've installed.  I disabled all of them and those pages load normally.  I now have to try and nail down which of the plugins (assuming it's just one) is causing the issue.  I setup the MySQL slow_query_log for any queries that are taking longer than two seconds to run, and found two threads that are coming up very slowly (16-17 seconds to bring up a single page of the thread):

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/223548-the-official-neo-geo-thread/
https://atariage.com/forums/topic/242970-fpga-based-videogame-system/

The first thread has over 19,000 posts, the second some 13,500 posts.  However, there are other large threads (like the Ataribox thread) that are similar in size but are not causing this issue.  I've filed a support ticket with Invision so they can investigate. 

Now to try and figure out which plugin is causing the forum page slowdown so I can bring it up with the plugin author.

..Al

I am experiencing about 4-5 second thread loads when browsing the 8bit forum, but also with this thread. iPad Pro from this year, high speed connection (1Gbit), and I am located in Europe. It’s been this way since the forum upgrade, never saw that slow response before. 

Next bug: After posting, the editor is not cleared. Or is there a clear action hiding somewhere?

BTW: I almost forgot how to remove the quotes. IMO there too many things in the new forum which are hiding at secret place. Clearly a lot of design over function decisions. ?