IGNORED

Forum Upgrade Today, June 15th! PLEASE READ!

Albert

Well, still not working here on either Safari or Chrome for iOS. I’ve cleared browsing data multiple times, refreshed the page numerous times and tried on both home and office WiFi and cellular data.

Dunno what’s going on.

18 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Here you go.  It's Safari on an iPhone.

Looks like a bug in the Invision skin.  Probably does the same thing in the AtariAge skin. I don't see that on my phone (iPhone 8 Plus), but it has a pretty big display (not sure what you're using).  I can ask the skin designer to find a solution for the AtariAge skin, but I'm not going to modify the stock Invision skin.  I will report it to Invision, though (if they're not already aware of this) so they can fix it.

..Al

23 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Well, still not working here on either Safari or Chrome for iOS. I’ve cleared browsing data multiple times, refreshed the page numerous times and tried on both home and office WiFi and cellular data.

Is is still happening on your iPad also?  Is the iPad running iOS 13?  Something like this would typically be a DNS issue (it's not seeing the new static.atariage.com domain) or a local caching issue (which can include files as well as DNS information).  If it's working fine on your computer, and you're trying the phone on the same network, then it's probably not DNS-related.  It would be easier if you could see the page source code to see what the URLs are for the various elements.

Here's one way to do it:

https://appletoolbox.com/how-to-view-webpage-html-source-codes-on-ipad-iphone-no-app-required/

Here's another:

https://www.idownloadblog.com/2017/03/23/view-html-web-page-source-code/

it would also be helpful to do an nslookup on static.atariage.com on your phone to see if it's resolving properly:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/nslookup/id423175511

Armed with this information, I might be able to glean what's going on.

..Al

11 minutes ago, Albert said:

Looks like a bug in the Invision skin.  Probably does the same thing in the AtariAge skin. I don't see that on my phone (iPhone 8 Plus), but it has a pretty big display (not sure what you're using).  I can ask the skin designer to find a solution for the AtariAge skin, but I'm not going to modify the stock Invision skin.  I will report it to Invision, though (if they're not already aware of this) so they can fix it.

..Al

iPhone 5S.  AA skin appears to be ok.

I'm getting this on my one windows XP running chrome.. it is fine on the other windows 7 PC that I remote into.  It happened after the "static.atariage.com" change.  When I ping static.atariage.com and www.atariage.com they resolve to the same IP?  I cleared the cache multiple times and even rebooted my computer.  No luck.

image.thumb.png.a5d6f3b195449dd178cac31658f054d6.png

5 minutes ago, Shannon said:

I'm getting this on my one windows XP running chrome.. it is fine on the other windows 7 PC that I remote into.  It happened after the "static.atariage.com" change.  When I ping static.atariage.com and www.atariage.com they resolve to the same IP?  I cleared the cache multiple times and even rebooted my computer.  No luck.

Yes, both domains should be resolving to the same IP.  Can you look at the page source and send it to me (you can do so via PM, or send me a PM and I'll give you an email address, which might be easier).

Thanks,

..Al

6 minutes ago, Albert said:

Yes, both domains should be resolving to the same IP.  Can you look at the page source and send it to me (you can do so via PM, or send me a PM and I'll give you an email address, which might be easier).

Thanks,

..Al

PM sent.

Thanks.

It's cool that you can reply to the Recent Status Updates without leaving the main page.

Unfortunately if there's a status update more than a couple lines, it gets truncated with ellipses, and others never get a chance to see the full update from the main page. Any chance to hyperlink those ellipses to the full update, or do a roll-up thingee?

2 hours ago, Albert said:

Is is still happening on your iPad also?  Is the iPad running iOS 13?  Something like this would typically be a DNS issue (it's not seeing the new static.atariage.com domain) or a local caching issue (which can include files as well as DNS information).  If it's working fine on your computer, and you're trying the phone on the same network, then it's probably not DNS-related.  It would be easier if you could see the page source code to see what the URLs are for the various elements.

Here's one way to do it:

https://appletoolbox.com/how-to-view-webpage-html-source-codes-on-ipad-iphone-no-app-required/

Here's another:

https://www.idownloadblog.com/2017/03/23/view-html-web-page-source-code/

it would also be helpful to do an nslookup on static.atariage.com on your phone to see if it's resolving properly:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/nslookup/id423175511

Armed with this information, I might be able to glean what's going on.

..Al

Yep, still happening on the iPad. Both of these devices are running the latest iOS 13 betas. 

The nslookup on my phone resolves to 199.193.116.116. When I type "static.atariage.com" into my browser bar, I get the main AtariAge landing page and it looks fine. But the forums look like the malformed screenshots above.

I tried refreshing the page, clearing site data again, refreshing several more times, then went to the page you referenced above on my phone, created the bookmark tool to show the page source, then as soon as I refreshed the forums landing page again to capture the source, it rendered properly. D'oh.  

TL;DR - I got no idea what's going on. :) If it goes wonky once more, I'll capture the source and send you a Pastebin link or something. 

Another datapoint to add ...

I checked my iPad again after the site started working correctly on my phone. Still malformed, text-based site. So I used the NSLookup tool recommended earlier and it resolved to the same IP. AS SOON AS I RAN THAT TOOL, Safari on my iPad now renders the site properly. However, Chrome on my both my iPhone and iPad still give the mangled text site instead of the fully-formed page.

5 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Another datapoint to add ...

I checked my iPad again after the site started working correctly on my phone. Still malformed, text-based site. So I used the NSLookup tool recommended earlier and it resolved to the same IP. AS SOON AS I RAN THAT TOOL, Safari on my iPad now renders the site properly. However, Chrome on my both my iPhone and iPad still give the mangled text site instead of the fully-formed page.

Yeah, certainly seems like a DNS issue.  DNS can be cached in several places, the device you're viewing a site on, your router, your ISP, etc.  This is a new domain, so it probably would have been better if I let it sit a full 24 hours before using it.  It actually resolved for me within minutes when I set it up, and after a bit I asked several other people in disparate locations if it worked for them, and they all responded positively.

..Al

1 hour ago, RevEng said:

It's cool that you can reply to the Recent Status Updates without leaving the main page.

Yes, that's much nicer than always having to visit someone's profile page to respond.

1 hour ago, RevEng said:

Unfortunately if there's a status update more than a couple lines, it gets truncated with ellipses, and others never get a chance to see the full update from the main page. Any chance to hyperlink those ellipses to the full update, or do a roll-up thingee?

I can make that suggestion to the author of this enhanced Recent Status Update widget.  I'm still waiting for him to respond to the issues I already posted about.

..Al

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Albert said:

Yeah, certainly seems like a DNS issue.  DNS can be cached in several places, the device you're viewing a site on, your router, your ISP, etc.  This is a new domain, so it probably would have been better if I let it sit a full 24 hours before using it.  It actually resolved for me within minutes when I set it up, and after a bit I asked several other people in disparate locations if it worked for them, and they all responded positively.

..Al

To further this point, I loaded a thread and several images didn’t load. I refreshed the page and they loaded the second time. On another thread, however, the images wouldn’t load. I jumped into the Safari settings ENABLED cross-site tracking and then refreshed the page. This time I got the malformed text view again. I disabled cross-site tracking, refreshed the site again and it now rendered properly again and this time the stubborn missing images appeared. 

3 hours ago, Shannon said:

PM sent.

Got it, thanks.  Yeah, the page source looks correct, with the proper (and many) references to static.atariage.com.  So the issue would be that the browser is not properly resolving that domain, and thus unable to load the content.  Very likely just weird DNS caching issues, as DNS can be cached by your device, possibly your router, your upstream internet provider, and so forth.  Sometimes only time will correct this.

..Al

The browser I'm using is google chrome btw.

Bummer... I can access it on my windows 7 PC.  However I usually remote to that one ( only one monitor ) and so the response time is a little slow.  I guess I'll have to deal with that for now.  Is there a way to flush the DNS cache on my one machine?

51 minutes ago, Shannon said:

The browser I'm using is google chrome btw.

Bummer... I can access it on my windows 7 PC.  However I usually remote to that one ( only one monitor ) and so the response time is a little slow.  I guess I'll have to deal with that for now.  Is there a way to flush the DNS cache on my one machine?

• WinXP: Start, Run and then type “cmd” and press Enter.
  • Vista, Window 7 and Windows 8: Click “Start” and type the word “Command” in the Start search field. ...
  • In the open prompt, type “ipconfig /flushdns” (without the quotes)

Oh well.  flushdns didn't do any good for me.  I guess I'll have to wait and see if the problem eventually clears up on my one computer.

:(

In other news.  I really like the thread attachments button that was added.  Before I had to back out into a specific forum, find the thread and click on the paperclip.  Now I can just click on the button at the top of the thread page.  :D

Makes things a whole lot easier!

Edited by Shannon