IGNORED

Forum Upgrade Today, June 15th! PLEASE READ!

Albert

Yes, I'm working on setting up Cloudflare, and I jumped the gun on moving DNS to it as their SSL certificates take up to 24 hours to generate for "free" accounts.  So going to pay for the Pro account ($20 a month), which gives you considerably more features and only 15 minute SSL generation. 

..Al

• Thanks 2

I re-enabled Cloudflare about a half hour ago, so hopefully things will be a bit smoother this time around.  I will enable various features on Cloudflare one at a time to make sure they don't have any negative consequences.  Ultimately this should significantly help with latency and page-load times.

..Al

• Like 4

Looks like Javascript on the page is not fully loading.  I am using Firefox as well, and I have not seen this yet, but that is likely what is causing it.  If you open the Developer view (on Mac it's cmd-shift-I, probably alt-shift-I in Windows), then click on "Network", and then refresh the page, I'd like to see if it gets any errors loading any elements..

This is what you should see.. For me, this page completely loaded in 1.92 seconds.  If there are any errors loading anything, they should show up (you can scroll down to see all the page elements, there are quite a few!) 

Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 2.40.20 PM.png

5 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I keep losing the ability to quote or rely to messages when using Firefox (latest version 68.0 on Windows 7 64-bit).  Chrome works fine.  This is what I get:
error.thumb.png.18197c9d037cc6d5d6dc1cb7f4fd1534.png

What does the page look like at the bottom when you first load it?  Does the editor appear as it does above, or did you click in the editor window first?  That causes the editor to then load, which should open up properly.  I'd keep that Network view open while you do that to see if any errors pop up.

Also, you can try clearing your browser cache.  Some content is now being offloaded to Cloudflare (which should include the static Javascript elements), so it would be good to know if there's an issue with that.

Thanks,

..Al

2 hours ago, Albert said:

What does the page look like at the bottom when you first load it?  Does the editor appear as it does above, or did you click in the editor window first?  That causes the editor to then load, which should open up properly.  I'd keep that Network view open while you do that to see if any errors pop up.

Also, you can try clearing your browser cache.  Some content is now being offloaded to Cloudflare (which should include the static Javascript elements), so it would be good to know if there's an issue with that.

Thanks,

..Al

When first loading, it looks like this:

error2.thumb.png.3a22fc5de3367ae3e6a079e0f83eeda8.png

When I hit quote or reply, it goes to the picture I posted.  Running this in Firefox, I get the following errors:
Loading failed for the <script> with source “https://atariage.com/forums/applications/core/interface/ckeditor/ckeditor/plugins/ipsautogrow/plugin.js?t=J5CC”. 34:1:1
Loading failed for the <script> with source “https://atariage.com/forums/applications/core/interface/ckeditor/ckeditor/plugins/ipssource/plugin.js?t=J5CC”. 34:1:1
Loading failed for the <script> with source “https://atariage.com/forums/applications/core/interface/ckeditor/ckeditor/plugins/ipsgiphy/plugin.js?t=J5CC”. 34:1:1
Error: [CKEDITOR.resourceManager.load] Resource name "ipsautogrow" was not found at "//atariage.com/forums/applications/core/interface/ckeditor/ckeditor/plugins/ipsautogrow/plugin.js?t=J5CC". ckeditor.js:250:33

1 hour ago, Albert said:

That's odd.  Have you tried clearing your browser cache yet?  Does it only do it with this skin?  What happens if you use the AtariAge or Invision themes?

..Al

Clearing the cache seems to have fixed the issue. Thanks.

• Like 1

There's a small issue with links generated for the text part of emailed notifications for followed threads.

It seems that ampersands are escaped as HTML entities within URLs ... actual example from followed thread mailed to me today:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/293304-colecovision-hover-bovver/?do=findComment&amp;comment=4309876

Following the link generates 'Error Code: 2S136/C'.

Unescaping the URL manually like so produces an address deemed valid by the forum backend:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/293304-colecovision-hover-bovver/?do=findComment&comment=4309876

Now, I'm not sure if the problem is that the URL is being escaped for mailings or that the forum software doesn't unescape them when requested. The former, I suppose, as there's no need to replace ampersands with the corresponding HTML entity for plaintext MIME message bodies.

Edited by mumbai
capitalization!

2 minutes ago, Albert said:

Yeah, that most certainly looks like a bug.  Can you take a screenshot of the email you received so I can pass that along to Invision?

Not sure what to screenshot here; it's every following message I receive that exhibits this behavior when the update notice points to a particular comment within a thread rather than an entirely new thread (i.e., this is easily reproduced).

I could screenshot the plaintext multipart-MIME message body, but it's not going to show much other than the malformed URL given my choice of MUA. But I can send that if you think it'd help (or I could send a dump of the entire email as received?).

3 minutes ago, mumbai said:

Not sure what to screenshot here; it's every following message I receive that exhibits this behavior when the update notice points to a particular comment within a thread rather than an entirely new thread (i.e., this is easily reproduced).

I could screenshot the plaintext multipart-MIME message body, but it's not going to show much other than the malformed URL given my choice of MUA. But I can send that if you think it'd help (or I could send a dump of the entire email as received?).

A dump of the email would help. At first I thought you were talking about plaintext emails.  You can send it to me via PM if you'd like (stick it in a code block so it doesn't get parsed at all).  I am able to click links in emails without any problems, and the ampersands aren't showing up as "&amp;" as you described above.  What mail app are you using?

Is this the "Go to this post" link in the notification email that's malformed?

..Al

18 minutes ago, Albert said:

A dump of the email would help. At first I thought you were talking about plaintext emails.  You can send it to me via PM if you'd like (stick it in a code block so it doesn't get parsed at all).  I am able to click links in emails without any problems, and the ampersands aren't showing up as "&amp;" as you described above.  What mail app are you using?

Is this the "Go to this post" link in the notification email that's malformed?

It is the "Go to this post" link in the Text/PLAIN message part.

AFAIK, there's no way to receive "just" plaintext email now for notifications as with the prior version of the forum software ... or at least I can't seem to locate a configurable option to enable such. I posted an issue ticket in another forum here about that. Notifications are sent multipart text+HTML now.

I typically use (AL)PINE, and when unavailable, any other agent configured to prioritize the text body over the HTML, where possible. The issue doesn't stem from choice of email reader, though. I'll PM you a complete example email.

Edited by mumbai
words!

5 minutes ago, mumbai said:

It is the "Go to this post" link in the Text/PLAIN message part.

AFAIK, there's no way to received "just" plaintext email now for notifications as with the prior version of the forum software ... or at least I can't seem to locate a configurable option to enable such. I posted an issue ticket in another forum here about that. Notifications are sent multipart text+HTML now.

I typically use (AL)PINE, and that fails, any other agent configured to prioritize the text body over the HTML, where possible. The issue doesn't stem from choice of email reader, though. I'll PM you a complete example email.

Probably unnecessary for you to send me a copy of any emails, since I can take a look at some of the emails I've received from the forum to confirm what you're describing.  I'll definitely make a post about this on the Invision forum, though.  You are correct, there is no user-option as far as the type of email you'd like to receive, they are all multipart emails now. 

..Al

2 minutes ago, Shannon said:

FYI this seems related to or similar to an issue I saw in another thread where they were trying to post a torrent magnet URL and it was doing something similar and causing the URL to be mangled.

I'll have to take a look at that.  I know the forum doesn't recognize magnet URLs, but if it changed the text of the URL in any way, I'd like to see that. 

..Al

On 6/22/2019 at 11:03 AM, Tidus79001 said:

Not sure if this is a known issue or not, but I found that the search function on the non forum section of the AtariAge website has been broken since the forum upgrade took place last weekend.  When you search for a title it only will bring up the entire 20 page list of 2600 titles regardless of what title or system you used in the search criteria.

On 6/22/2019 at 11:07 AM, Albert said:

I'll be spending some time fixing broken pages on the main site over the next week. I had to rewrite all the pages on the main site as part of this entire server migration and that was a huge amount of work that I wasn't able to complete in time.  I'll get it all the broken bits (as well as pages that are currently missing) fixed soon.

..Al

Just wanted to check in on the status on reimplementation of the seaech feature on the main website.  Is it near completion?  No rush, just an inquiry.

Edited by Tidus79001

lol sup man.. I've been gone on a European vacation for 2 weeks so I'm not sure what's all been going on. :)

Firstly.. one thing I just noticed, when I searched for "Loudness" (e.g. the japanese metal band), it looks for "loud". is there a way to make the search less "smart"? :lol:

image1.thumb.jpg.17968158f834300ef91947a2604a867d.jpg

Also.. it seems that choosing show me "items only" no longer consolidates the posts to a single line? For example if there's 20 new replies to "New Atari Console that Ataribox" it lists them all. Was that changed deliberately?

image2.jpg.380fb9900f0972eab6e3aa0d663c30b2.jpg

1 minute ago, NE146 said:

Firstly.. one thing I just noticed, when I searched for "Loudness" (e.g. the japanese metal band), it looks for "loud". is there a way to make the search less "smart"? :lol:

This is called "stemming", where the search engine uses the root of a word (if available) and searches on that.  I would think that it would give precedence to the original word ("Loudness" in this case), but that doesn't seem to be happening in this case.  I'll need to investigate. 

Also.. it seems that choosing show me "items only" no longer consolidates the posts to a single line? For example if there's 20 new replies to "New Atari Console that Ataribox" it lists them all. Was that changed deliberately?

You change this by selecting "Topics" under "Content Types":

Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 2.29.26 PM.png

Then click "Apply Changes", and you can then save this as a new stream which you can name and select from the "My Activity Streams" menu.  You can also set it as your default stream if you'd like.  And you can bookmark it if you want to get to it quickly. You can add other content to the above if you'd like as well (besides just "Topics").

..Al

• Thanks 2

Thanks for the reply.. NOW I think I get it as far as the available functionality when viewing new topic posts. :) 

Interesting about the stemming though. I'd have thought that using quotations would be an obvious built-in method to bypass it (if any). Does the search allow for specific strings? e.g. Exact sentences "My dog has fleas" ?

Interesting about the stemming though. I'd have thought that using quotations would be an obvious built-in method to bypass it (if any). Does the search allow for specific strings? e.g. Exact sentences "My dog has fleas" ?

Yes, putting the word "loudness" in quotes was the very first thing I tried, and I was disappointed to see that didn't work.  I'm going to ask about this on the Invision forum to see if there's away to do this.  And, yes, if you put a phrase in quotes, it will look for that specifically.  For instance, "playstation 1", "swordquest fireworld", or "waffle house"

..Al

• Like 2