IGNORED

Forum Upgrade Today, June 15th! PLEASE READ!

Albert

5 hours ago, ApolloBoy said:

Is it just me or can I not quickly jump to the last page in a thread? When I open a thread it takes me to the first page, and then I have to type in the page number that I'm looking for. Seriously annoying.

Are you talking about forum threads or in the Messenger?  If you're talking about forum threads, you can click on the date of the last post (in the right column) to jump directly to the last post.  You can also click on the last page number link in the list of pages, and that will take you to the top of the page.  If you're looking at one of the Activity streams, you can also click on the date of the last post to jump directly to that last post.

..Al

5 hours ago, Random Terrain said:

Here's a question about linking to posts. If I click on the "Share this post" icon (sideways V with three testicles dangling off it), I get the following "do=findComment" style of link:

atariage.com/forums/topic/123849-visual-bb-10-a-new-ide-for-batari-basic/?do=findComment&comment=3537039

If I use the link, it converts to this "page/#/?tab=comments" style:

atariage.com/forums/topic/123849-visual-bb-10-a-new-ide-for-batari-basic/page/28/?tab=comments#comment-3537039

Which style of link is the one I should use when linking from my web site to posts at AtariAge? In other words, which is less of a strain on AtariAge?

Probably the first link one provided by "Share this post".  The "findComment" function probably finds what page that comment is in and then loads that page and jumps to the anchor tag for that post.  Since the page number of a specific post can change (posts are deleted, threads are merged together, etc.), the first link is likely more reliable.

..Al

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Shannon said:

ok.  I must be going crazy.  I cannot figure out how to get to my PM's with other members.  I know it used to be easier than it currently is.. 

Click the small talk bubbles icon in the upper-right corner of the page.  Then click "Go to inbox" once the popup appears.  I'm going to make a more obvious link that goes directly into the Messenger.

..Al

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tmp said:

1. in the old forum version email notifications contained the body of the post/pm which was useful, would it be possible to reenable it?

2. could be just me/my browser but there's some weirdnes happening when copying text from PM to clipboard (haven't tried posts), there are some non printable characters randomly inserted from time to time into the copied text, it goes away when i disable javascript (so that "quote selection" functionality doesn't work)

The email notifications I receive from the forum have the post/PM content in them.  Can you take a screenshot of a notification email you've received where this hasn't been the case? 

As for copying text from a message to the clipboard, could depend on a difference in fonts.  I'd have to look at this, as it's not something I've experienced myself.

..Al

3 hours ago, Philsan said:

Years ago there was a cool "map" feature, to locate people.

Is it still available?

It is available as a third-party application for the forum:

https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/3070-member-map

I already own this, as it's the same app that was installed in the old forum, although it would have been rewritten for this version of the software.  I'll be installing it again here.  Just waiting for all the background tasks to complete before I start installing many third-party extensions.

..Al

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Albert said:

The email notifications I receive from the forum have the post/PM content in them.  Can you take a screenshot of a notification email you've received where this hasn't been the case? 

hm, actually you're right, the issue is that the content is only in the html part of multipart email, plain part contains only (broken (& instead of &))  link to the post

i have my email client set up to prefer the plain part that's why i'm not seeing it (and i doubt there's an easy fix for that)

As for copying text from a message to the clipboard, could depend on a difference in fonts.  I'd have to look at this, as it's not something I've experienced myself.

i've played with it for a moment, the key is doing multiple ctrl-c on multiple selections  (at least 3 - i was copying an address line by line), then it starts adding 0x3f (?) to text format part of clipboard and 0xff 0xfe to unicode format part

not a big deal, i'll remember to do just one ctrl-c per page ;-)

2 hours ago, Rybags said:

One thing I'm not a fan of at all is the fuzzy dates and times - the times especially.

ie, rather than "Posted 6 hours ago" I'd much rather see "Posted at 4:13 pm" and rather than "yesterday" I'd prefer the absolute date.

I have to look into this.  I've seen it debated on the Invision forums in the distant past (people wanted the absolute dates back), but nothing came of that as far as I know. 

..Al

20 minutes ago, tmp said:

hm, actually you're right, the issue is that the content is only in the html part of multipart email, plain part contains only (broken (& instead of &))  link to the post

i have my email client set up to prefer the plain part that's why i'm not seeing it (and i doubt there's an easy fix for that)

It is possible to edit the email templates, but not sure if the content part of the email would be honored by the email parser if it sees it in the plain-text portion of the message.  Something else to experiment with.  I agree it's useful to have the message content as part of the email!  The new forum will also include images in emails, which is useful, but obviously that will only work for HTML.

20 minutes ago, tmp said:

i've played with it for a moment, the key is doing multiple ctrl-c on multiple selections  (at least 3 - i was copying an address line by line), then it starts adding 0x3f (?) to text format part of clipboard and 0xff 0xfe to unicode format part

not a big deal, i'll remember to do just one ctrl-c per page ;-)

Interesting, I wasn't aware of this behavior..

..Al

1 hour ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

"Find and install Ignore Topics plugin" is listed on Albert's Forum Issue Tracker.

I just purchased this and a slew of other modules from the author at a discounted price..

• Tutorials
  • Club Cards on Forums Index
  • Dead Topic Protection
  • Ignore Forums
  • Topics List
  • User Posts in Topic
  • and some additional Moderation tools

..Al

• Like 4

I only just learned this myself, but on PC one may mouse-over the time to see the actual time and date posted:

604856820_AAtimestamp.jpg.1efc28dd9ea4e9fe877d10c7584366a1.jpg

2 hours ago, Rybags said:

One thing I'm not a fan of at all is the fuzzy dates and times - the times especially.

ie, rather than "Posted 6 hours ago" I'd much rather see "Posted at 4:13 pm" and rather than "yesterday" I'd prefer the absolute date.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Albert said:

deleted

Quoted to the wrong post. Seems impossible to get rid of the quote in the editor, except for reloading the page. Any hints? :ponder:

55 minutes ago, Albert said:

Click the small talk bubbles icon in the upper-right corner of the page.  Then click "Go to inbox" once the popup appears.  I'm going to make a more obvious link that goes directly into the Messenger.

Now the correct quote. ?

Is there a way to configure the notification icon, so that it only reacts to PMs like before?

2 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Quoted to the wrong post. Seems impossible to get rid of the quote in the editor, except for reloading the page. Any hints? :ponder:

Yes, if you hover over the quote box, you'll see a small icon appear above the upper-left corner of the box.  Clicking this will select the box.  You can then hit the backspace key to remove it. You can also drag the quote box around vertically within the post using this "handle". 

image.png

..Al

29 minutes ago, Albert said:

I have to look into this.  I've seen it debated on the Invision forums in the distant past (people wanted the absolute dates back), but nothing came of that as far as I know. 

While we are at it: Any chance for time and date display in regional format?

4 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Is there a way to configure the notification icon, so that it only reacts to PMs like before?

Yes, click on the Notifications icon, and then click on "Notification Settings" when the popup appears.  This will bring you to a page where you can scroll down and see all the individual notification settings.  Anything you disable in the first column will then not appear in the notifications list. Make sure to click "Save" at the bottom when you're done.

..Al

Just now, Albert said:

Yes, if you hover over the quote box, you'll see a small icon appear above the upper-left corner of the box.  Clicking this will select the box.  You can then hit the backspace key to remove it.

Thanks. It never occurred to me that there are secret keys behind that drag and drop icon. ? 

Any more I am missing?

3 minutes ago, Albert said:

Should already be based on the time/date display settings on your local computer. 

Nope. Everything is in US format.

Also, the date/time is strangely crippled for older posts (no year and no time displayed).

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

8 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Nope. Everything is in US format.

Also, the date/time is strangely crippled for older posts (no year and no time displayed).

I'll have to do some digging regarding the date formats.  I just read some messages on Invision's forum (from Invision staff) that explained it should be using your localized settings for the date/time formatting.  I can experiment with that later on one of my computers to see what happens.

Post processing is not complete yet, still going to be at least another full day before that's done.  After that if you still see issues like this, please let me know and I cant take a look.

..Al

I'll have to do some digging regarding the date formats.  I just read some messages on Invision's forum (from Invision staff) that explained it should be using your localized settings for the date/time formatting.  I can experiment with that later on one of my computers to see what happens.

Post processing is not complete yet, still going to be at least another full day before that's done.  After that if you still see issues like this, please let me know and I cant take a look.

Will do.

I found the logic behind the current display:

• display day, month and year if the post is not from current year
  • display day and month if the post is older than one week
  • display day of week and time if the post is between 24 hours and one week old (note: this is the only period where an absolute time is displayed)
  • display 'hours ago' if the post is between one and 24 hours old
  • else only display 'minutes ago' 

So while there clearly is some logic involved, I find it pretty special.

6 minutes ago, carlsson said:

I can tell as much that if I hover over the date stamp, I get to see the actual date and time in my local time zone, e.g. that Albert's last post was 5:29 PM.

The timezone is not the problem, this one is correct. The format is the problem.

E.g. hover format for your post: '06/20/2019 05:40 PM'
My local format would be: '20.06.2019 17:40'

This is no major issue.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

3 hours ago, Serguei2 said:

The visitor list on my blog is gone also anybody who liked my blog is gone too.

All my tags from blogs before the update are gone.

Most of my tags are still in the individual posts, but there's no list of them so they're useless for indexes now. A bigger problem is that it looks like all of the categories were wiped out - you can really see this in Darrell's blog. He had everything organized that way. Hopefully that can be recovered, and that functionality restored. (I was going to switch over to categories, now I'm glad I didn't.)

It also replaced some intentional text links to videos with the actual embedded videos: like this entry, trashing the formatting. And, as mentioned earlier, in some cases did the opposite. Also, the embedded videos are massive (at least on my iPad), rather than the nice, compact thumbnails from before.

Also, there's no list view within blogs, just grids, and it's obnoxious that each entry has Invision's stupid geometric pattern forced into it (I have yet to figure out how to remove it). And inserting your own banner image into your main blog header doesn't work. It just shows a grey image with a question mark.

5C00DE11-0097-4BF3-87EA-E393FA5CADE4.thumb.png.4d215147db9466237e594617888b86a7.png

Until all those background tasks finish running, I can't address any formatting issues.  I agree about the geometric pattern business, those could be removed easily enough from the skin.  Changing the background will probably work once those tasks complete.  I can change the width of embedded videos to something reasonable (not sure what they are set to now).  There is no categories third-party mod for the current version of the Blog, unfortunately, but Invision is discussing it and I added my voice to a thread about it and it was acknowledged.  I expect we'll see that in a release soon.

I can help you go through your blog entries to clean up any awry formatting after all the processing is done. 

..Al