IGNORED

Forum Upgrade Today, June 15th! PLEASE READ!

Albert

I believe the reason Invision removed the post number for each post because these numbers are not absolute, but relative to the number of posts currently visible in the thread.  If posts are hidden or deleted, threads are merged together, or posts are split into a new thread, these numbers will change.  Usually if I need to refer to a certain post in a thread, I will link directly to the post instead of referring to it by number.

Someone did make a plugin for the forum that displays this number, but looks like it might have some issues.  I'll add it to my growing list of things to do (which I'l be starting on in earnest tomorrow).

https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/8081-post-number/

..Al

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Lee Stewart said:

Will previous editor options currently not available, fonts and indents in particular, eventually be available?

I can add them back, especially for the desktop version of the editor. This will likely increase the editor toolbar to two rows, though.  If I don't care about making it two rows, I can add a whole slew of additional editor icons.  There are also quite a few interesting plugins for this editor, and I'm going to take a look at them to see what might be useful.  For instance, there are some plugins that do a nice job of formatting code. And another that lets you make tables, which would be useful for things like the High Score Clubs.

• I can successfully paste formatted text from a word processor that uses fonts listed in the previous editor.
    • Is this because I have those fonts on my computer or are those fonts managed on the AA server?
    • If the latter, what fonts are available?

It may substitute fonts with similar fonts when pasting rich text like that.  I'm not sure what fonts are available.  I'll probably add the font selection back to the editor toolbar.

• Can any HTML code be used?

No.  BBCodes still work, but there's no guarantee this will be the case down the road. 

..Al

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Albert said:

I can add them back, especially for the desktop version of the editor. This will likely increase the editor toolbar to two rows, though.  If I don't care about making it two rows, I can add a whole slew of additional editor icons.  There are also quite a few interesting plugins for this editor, and I'm going to take a look at them to see what might be useful.  For instance, there are some plugins that do a nice job of formatting code. And another that lets you make tables, which would be useful for things like the High Score Clubs.

It may substitute fonts with similar fonts when pasting rich text like that.  I'm not sure what fonts are available.  I'll probably add the font selection back to the editor toolbar.

No.  BBCodes still work, but there's no guarantee this will be the case down the road. 

..Al

which naturally leads to the question... where is the bb on of switch it used to be in the 1st slot on the tool bar... along with another vote for the better default text color selector being added back in ;)

Edited by _The Doctor__

6 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

which naturally leads to the question... where is the bb on of switch it used to be in the 1st slot on the tool bar... along with another vote for the text color selector being added back in ;)

There is no BBCode on/off button.  While you can still use them (if you know what they are), they are not really officially supported.  You can already change text color.  It's the paintbrush icon in the editor toolbar.

..Al

Yeah funny thing is that I just used the paint brush last night to do just that but had to press 'more colors' at the bottom to select something closer to the old defaults to make it look right.

I couldn't find it in the custom avatar text.. but it is now showing up in the signature text, which it didn't before...

Edited by _The Doctor__

3 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Yeah funny thing is that I just used the paint brush last night to do just that but had to press 'more colors' at the bottom to select something closer to the old defaults to make it look right.

I don't like the default colors either, I may look into changing those.

3 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

I couldn't find it in the signatures and custom avatar text..

Ahh, I'll need to try that out myself and see if I can discern what's going on.

..Al

You are replying faster than I can edit or double check on how it is today! :)

Now to choose color for links that's something else... I have not been able to color the links, or the member title but that's another story. The links in my signature are black and do not change on hover but the pointer does turn into a hand. Not sure what they ended up as in my post itself (ah default blue turning color on hover)

If you try to color link text the url will be lost.

Edited by _The Doctor__

The save/hold as draft until submit function is now working so I won't be posting then doing revisions piece meal as much.

You just have to click on the reply or edit on the same page/topic you originally were typing it in, the box will expand and repopulate with what you were typing previously in that topics reply box. It won't show on it's own, you must click on it and watch the magic

Edited by _The Doctor__

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 8:53 AM, Albert said:

Just click on the search field and you'll get a popup that lets you localize the search:

image.png

I don't believe there is a setting that turns this on by default.  I actually prefer this new behavior, as I usually want to search the entire forum, and the exception is wanting to search the current thread or forum I'm engaged with.

..Al

Thanks Al, I tried the search using Everywhere and the local Forum options but I could not find "fahrfall" via search (the other CoCo port of Man Goes Down). Instead I get a message the search index is still being built by MySQL/NoSQL.

1 hour ago, Mr SQL said:

Thanks Al, I tried the search using Everywhere and the local Forum options but I could not find "fahrfall" via search (the other CoCo port of Man Goes Down). Instead I get a message the search index is still being built by MySQL/NoSQL.

Searching is not going to work properly until the search index is built, which won't happen until all the other content rebuilding tasks are finished in the background.  They are churning along, still, and hopefully will be done soon.

..Al

2 minutes ago, atari2600land said:

No more [ebay] tags? I used them a lot.

Ahh, that's something I forgot about.  That's something I'll have to research and figure out. Using BBCode tags won't be a thing, but I could possibly add a button for the editor that lets you insert an eBay link so it can modify it in the same way that the BBCode tags did. Thanks for bringing this up.

..Al

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jaybird3rd said:

YouTube links actually appear properly as embedded videos if you simply copy and paste the URL into the editor.  I tested it myself a moment ago and was pleased that I didn't have to do it manually.

Yes, that is how I fixed it. ;)

• Like 2

I really like the fact I can access threads at any page on my phone now.  The only thing is that I mainly would just hit 'latest posts' for the newest threads and I don't see anything that does that yet...other than the 'all activity' option but it doesn't seem to be the same...it shows individual replies rather than threads, so you get a bunch of the same posts rather the thread itself. 

I also can't seem to easily add pics. Lots of forums are like that, sadly. If it were only as easy to add pics to posts like using FB, that would be amazing. 

That said, the funcionality of everythong is awesome, especially know that I mainly use my phone to access AA. Thanks Albert and to all involved, I can't imagine it's easy!

Edited by atarilovesyou

5 minutes ago, atarilovesyou said:

I really like the fact I can access threads at any page on my phone now.  The only thing is that I mainly would just hit 'latest posts' for the newest threads and I don't see anything that does that yet...other than the 'all activity' option but it doesn't seem to be the same...it shows individual replies rather than threads, so you get a bunch of the same posts rather the thread itself. 

You can create a new stream that highlights unread topics, call it "Latest posts" and make it the default stream.  Here's how I did that on PC; you'll have to find similar settings if using your phone.  Next to the stream's name are two or three icons, one of which is to set it to be the default.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, atarilovesyou said:

I guess it depends on how you are looking for new posts.  It's rare that I jump directly into a thread by browsing the forums directly.  I'm usually using things like "Unread Content" or "All Activity" or "Content I Started", and so forth.  These all easily provide a means to jump directly to the first unread post.  However, I will look to see if there's a way to add that when viewing a specific thread if there are new posts.

I also can't seem to easily add pics. Lots of forums are like that, sadly. If it were only as easy to add pics to posts like using FB, that would be amazing. 

Adding photos is just as easy as it is on Facebook, and much easier than it was with the previous software.  This is one of the nicest improvements, actually.  You can place the cursor in your post where want a message to appear and you can then copy/paste the image or drag it directly into your message.  It's rare now that I click "Choose files" to select a file that way.  Plus you can easily copy/paste or drag multiple files at a time into a post.  This also goes for regular attachments.

If you're having difficulty adding images, please send me a private message and I can help you out.

That said, the funcionality of everythong is awesome, especially know that I mainly use my phone to access AA. Thanks Albert and to all involved, I can't imagine it's easy!

Yes, viewing the forum with a phone is much better now in terms of functionality (not being able to jump to a specific page in a thread with the old mobile skin was pretty terrible), however, the mobile skin does need some work to make it use up less vertical space, especially on the main forum index (going to remove the forum descriptions) and when viewing a forum (going to remove the page numbers, the forum description and get rid of unnecessary white space).

It's going to take several weeks to get everything ironed out and to a state where I'm happy..

..Al

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Albert said:

Using BBCode tags won't be a thing, but I could possibly add a button for the editor that lets you insert an eBay link so it can modify it in the same way that the BBCode tags did. Thanks for bringing this up.

Is that possible to edit posts directly in BBCode? I kind of miss that toggle ability from the previous forum.. sometimes the "smart" editor gets a little clunky, e.g. when I tried to paste multiple pictures in a post and was trying to type descriptive text between them, my mouse nor my arrow keys for the life of me could not get between them. BBCode would have been easier in that case. 

4 minutes ago, NE146 said:

Is that possible to edit posts directly in BBCode? I kind of miss that toggle ability from the previous forum.. sometimes the "smart" editor gets a little clunky, e.g. when I tried to paste multiple pictures in a post and was trying to type descriptive text between them, my mouse nor my arrow keys for the life of me could not get between them. BBCode would have been easier in that case. 

No, this is not possible nor will it be possible again in the future. 

You should be able to get the cursor to the right or left of an image and then hit "return" to put some vertical space between images.  I just tested that with two images and had no problems doing that.

..Al

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Albert said:

No, this is not possible nor will it be possible again in the future. 

You should be able to get the cursor to the right or left of an image and then hit "return" to put some vertical space between images.  I just tested that with two images and had no problems doing that.

..Al

Can you do the same with a quote, and add text above it? I can't. Clicking to the left or top of it doesn't work, and positioning with arrow keys only leaves the cursor captured inside the quote. I need the foresight to hit enter once or twice before hitting the quote button, or else I can't write anything above the quote.

It's a minor thing, but I do agree with NE146 that the gui is a bit clunky at times. I get it - bbcode editing isn't on the roadmap for the forum software devs, so I'm not asking anything to be done about it. I'm a CLI guy stuck in a GUI world, so I'm used to it. :|

4 minutes ago, RevEng said:

Can you do the same with a quote? I can't. Clicking to the left or top of it doesn't work, and positioning with arrow keys only leaves you captured inside the quote. I have to have the foresight to hit enter once or twice before hitting the quote button, or else I can't write anything above the quote.

It's a minor thing, but I do agree with NE146 that the gui is a bit clunky at times. I get it - bbcode editing isn't on the roadmap for the forum software devs, so I'm not asking anything to be done about it. I'm a CLI guy stuck in a GUI world, so I'm used to it. :|

You can start typing text below the quote box, and you can then "drag" the quote box below that text.  When hovering over the quote box, you'll see a small icon appear above the quote box.  You can click and drag the quote box to a new location using that icon. You can also completely delete the quote box by clicking on that icon and then hitting "Backspace". Also, if you want to split a quote box into two, place the cursor at the end of a paragraph and hit return twice. And, finally, you can select some text from another post and a "Quote selection" popup will appear.  Click the button and a quote box with your selected text will appear in your reply.  I use this a good percentage of the time when quoting posts.

I don't think the UI is clunky, but it is different.  The old editor really wasn't very good.  I did most of my post editing in the "text" mode using bbcodes, but that's mainly because the WYSIWYG version of the editor was poor and full of weird quirks.  This editor is MUCH better in that regard.  And I should be able to install some interesting and very useful plugins for this editor, such as table editing and more advanced code blocks.  And I haven't had to use the "Preview" feature yet, and I imagine I'd only use that for longer, more complex posts.

..Al