IGNORED

Forum Upgrade Today, June 15th! PLEASE READ!

Albert

Thanks.  There appears to be plenty of room for more tabs across the top of that little popup.

It is a missed feature for me, but shouldn't be any type of priority.  It just helps me determine if I want to re-join the conversation

That little popup fades too quickly for me. I must be a slow reader  :lol: 

8 minutes ago, Albert said:

Yes, as you noticed, if you hover over the title you'll get a popup that lets you see the first and last post.  I can make a suggestion to add a tab to preview the first unread post when applicable.

image.png

..Al

21 hours ago, Random Terrain said:

As an experiment, I posted in a thread and ignored it. It seems to be gone under All Activity and My Activity Streams at the top of the page and Topics on the right side, but replies are popping up under Notifications (the world icon) at the top of the page.

Looks like you also have to un-follow a thread if you have "Automatically follow content I reply to" turned on. Ignoring a topic does not un-follow a topic at this time. But even after un-following manually, replies are still popping up under Notifications (the world icon).

Summary: Ignoring and un-following a thread does not stop replies from popping up under Notifications (the world icon) at the top of the page.

I don't know if this is an issue with the Notifications system or the Ignore Topics plugin.  I'll have to play around with it a bit. Thanks for bringing this up.

..Al

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, fdr4prez said:

That little popup fades too quickly for me. I must be a slow reader  :lol: 

As long as your mouse is over the title or the popup, the popup will not disappear.  However, not sure what happens on a mobile device or tablet.  I would hope that it doens't dismiss until you tap outside the popup.  Will have to check that later.

..Al

There's now an Attachments button visible when viewing a forum.  Clicking on this button will let you browse all the attachments in the thread.  :)

Screen Shot 2019-07-01 at 4.54.37 PM.png

..Al

PS: Do not try to click the above buttons in this post. They are a visual aid for instructional purposes only.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, krslam said:

Is the index still rebuilding?  I notice that some threads I've posted in still don't show up in my activity stream.

No, that's long since finished rebuilding.  Can you point me to some of the threads that aren't showing up in your Activity Stream so I can take a look?

Thanks!

..Al

3 minutes ago, Albert said:

No, that's long since finished rebuilding.  Can you point me to some of the threads that aren't showing up in your Activity Stream so I can take a look?

Thanks!

..Al

Here's one.  It's a topic I follow if that matters.

26 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

A very minor issue: When marking the site as read, the popup appearing has the buttons reversed.

Here's a screenshot:

Screen Shot 2019-07-02 at 11.33.31 AM.png

Are you saying these buttons are reversed elsewhere in the forum for similar confirmations?  Do you have examples?  I agree that having them in this order is odd.

..Al

@Albert, if this has already been brought up by others, I apologize. Any way you could add Strikethrough to the mobile page's capabilities? As far as I can tell, only Bold/Italic/Underline are available on mobile, and there is no way to force the page to the Desktop View like you used to be able to. Thanks!

10 minutes ago, sixersfan105 said:

@Albert, if this has already been brought up by others, I apologize. Any way you could add Strikethrough to the mobile page's capabilities? As far as I can tell, only Bold/Italic/Underline are available on mobile, and there is no way to force the page to the Desktop View like you used to be able to. Thanks!

I added a few more toolbar icons to mobile, including Strikethrough.

..Al

2 hours ago, Albert said:

Screen Shot 2019-07-02 at 11.33.31 AM.png

Are you saying these buttons are reversed elsewhere in the forum for similar confirmations?  Do you have examples?  I agree that having them in this order is odd.

The order as shown above is odd. Except for MacOS the standard is exactly the opposite.

23 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

The order as shown above is odd. Except for MacOS the standard is exactly the opposite.

You're right, and I guess I never really paid much attention to it before as I use macOS.  At any rate, I'm not going to change this since it would then make this Invision forum different from all the others.

image.png

On 6/30/2019 at 4:18 PM, Random Terrain said:

As an experiment, I posted in a thread and ignored it. It seems to be gone under All Activity and My Activity Streams at the top of the page and Topics on the right side, but replies are popping up under Notifications (the world icon) at the top of the page.

Looks like you also have to un-follow a thread if you have "Automatically follow content I reply to" turned on. Ignoring a topic does not un-follow a topic at this time. But even after un-following manually, replies are still popping up under Notifications (the world icon).

Summary: Ignoring and un-following a thread does not stop replies from popping up under Notifications (the world icon) at the top of the page.

The author fixed this issue by now automatically unfollowing a topic if you ignore it, which will prevent you from receiving notifications in the future.  This will only work for topics you ignore as of now -- any previously ignored topics you'll need to manually ignore (which you can do here).

..Al

I've made some changes to the web server tonight that should result in faster page loads for most pages.  I'm still seeing slow page loads for some topics, and I  have an open ticket with Invision on that. They already made one change that reduced page load times by about 50% in some threads with over 10,000 posts.  I was able to greatly reduce the CPU load on both the web and database servers (which are two different dedicated servers in the same data center), so that's good progress.  I did manage to crash the web server a few times while working on this, but it seems to be stable now.  Definitely will be paying attention to this.

Next thing I'm going to do is install Elasticsearch, which should further reduce loads and result in better search results as well.  This will require rebuilding the search index, but there's no avoiding that.  After that, I plan on switching the database server from MySQL to MariaDB, and there should be some gains there as well. 

I've been adding features from the old forum, and most of this is custom work I've been paying for.  Should have the "Who's Online" list sorted alphabetically tomorrow, and I've asked someone to look into making changes to the Recent Status Updates widget on the front page (ability to view replies, reply directly, properly display links, and display the full status text).  Skin designer is actively working on a revision of the AtariAge theme, so hopefully I'll have that in a few days. This includes changes to the Mobile skin to make it more compact, especially on the main index and when viewing the list of threads in a forum. 

It's nearly 11pm, so I'm going to try making the switch to Elasticsearch before I finish for the night.

..Al

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

I've switched the search engine to Elasticsearch, so the search index is now rebuilding.  Searches will be incomplete while this builds, but it does build the posts index in reverse chronological order, processing newer posts first, so unless you're looking for older content this shouldn't have too much of an impact.

..Al

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1