IGNORED

Forum Upgrade Today, June 15th! PLEASE READ!

Albert

The search index rebuilt fairly quickly. I did some testing of the new search engine and it seems to work well.  And you can now search for two-character terms, such as Qb.  And the results come back very quickly.  Even single character search terms work (so you can search for "playstation 1", for instance). Additionally, this will help take further load off the database server.  :)

..Al

• Like 5

Just now, Nathan Strum said:

The new search works nicely - thanks!

Yes, it works pretty well.  This has always been a bit of a pet peeve of mine, and there are numerous threads I participated in about poor search experiences with this software in the past (well before Invision 4.x).  One of the reasons I didn't upgrade the forum sooner is Invision didn't have a decent third-party solution available for 4.x until sometime last year!  Previously we were using Sphinx (which worked much better than MySQL's search), but they dropped support for that in 4.x.  Elasticsearch is clearly better than Sphinx, even, which is nice.  :)

..Al

2 minutes ago, Random Terrain said:

I just did a test and it looks like links in status updates are not working on the main page, but links are working on the main page in replies to status updates.

I'm waiting to hear back from the author regarding the enhanced Status Updates widget on the main page.  There are a few issues with it currently that I'm hoping he can address, and this is one of them.

..Al

• Thanks 1

About email notifications, I miss a link to the first unread post in the related thread. Sometimes I receive many emails with the same subject for some days, but when I couldn't read each of them from my mailbox, I think it's time to go to the forum to be updated, but if I click the link at the last notification, I get that last post, not the first unread one. Going back manually to find the last one I've read is a pain... and spoiler!!!

I also miss a "Re:" prefix in the subject in posts that are replies in a thread I follow.

1 minute ago, vitoco said:

About email notifications, I miss a link to the first unread post in the related thread. Sometimes I receive many emails with the same subject for some days, but when I couldn't read each of them from my mailbox, I think it's time to go to the forum to be updated, but if I click the link at the last notification, I get that last post, not the first unread one. Going back manually to find the last one I've read is a pain... and spoiler!!!

That's an interesting observation.  Not sure how easy this would be to change.  I agree that it would be useful to go to the first unread post, rather than the specific post that's displayed in the email.

1 minute ago, vitoco said:

I also miss a "Re:" prefix in the subject in posts that are replies in a thread I follow.

I'm already investigating changing the title headers for the notification emails, because the ones in the older forum were better.  I've already posted about this on the Invision forum, but no solid answers yet. I may need to poke around with this myeslf.

..Al

• Thanks 1

That looks like a bug.   Here's how it looks to me now:

Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 4.38.52 PM.png

The first one is correct, but I split one quote into two (which you can do by hitting return twice at the end of a paragraph in the quote).  It looks like when it splits the quote, it isn't copying all the information contained in the parent quote when creating the child.  For instance, if you look, you'll see it doesn't have the link to the first post.  Which suggests the second quote in this instance cannot reference that post to see when it was made.  I'm not sure where it's getting the "1 minute ago", but that's obviously not accurate.  I'll have to post this on the Invision forum and see what they say.

..Al

• Confused 1

Good to know, thank you!

Is there something wonky with the server since last night? I’m getting this on my iPhone and iPad both since last night (haven’t checked my Win10 PC though).

1f3d9ea0506d86b0681a3ced3a8fc445.jpg

Back to Tapatalk for now - ugh. I’ve gotten used to the new mobile skin on my phone (and iPad OS 13 uses desktop Safari now so it’s been just like my desktop PC since the upgrade).

Reload the page and it should be fine.  I made a whole slew of server changes yesterday to further speed things up. This includes using a new subdomain (static.atariage.com) to load static content, so this content comes from a "cookieless" domain. 

If that doesn't work, please let me know (I'm using my phone right now). 

..Al

• Thanks 1

Great, thank you for confirming.

..Al

And just like that it’s busted for me again. Might be an issue with Safari and iOS 13 though. Refreshing the page isn’t working, nor has resetting my phone. I’ll check it again later after I get home from work.

3 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

And just like that it’s busted for me again. Might be an issue with Safari and iOS 13 though. Refreshing the page isn’t working, nor has resetting my phone. I’ll check it again later after I get home from work.

Also messed up on my iPhone. Looks OK on my PC, though.

3 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

I just saw this again as well. I went into the Safari settings and selected "Clear History and Data".  Went back to Safari where it kindly crashed, then I fired it back up and it seems fine so far. 

7521D97B-AE14-4CEE-87D1-7CED0CCF6C5E.png

There could be a few things going on, but basically all the CSS stylesheets, theme data, images and other data are not loading when this happens. All this content should now be loading from static.atariage.com. If for some reason DNS for this new domain isn't working when you load the page, you'll get the result you took a screenshot of above. 

Weird caching issues could definitely cause this as well, both locally and on the server. Let me try flushing the cache on the server side and see if that helps in case that's making a contribution to the slop. 

..Al

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Random Terrain said:

Also messed up on my iPhone. Looks OK on my PC, though.

Yeah, I haven't seen any issues across three different computers I've used since making these changes yesterday.  I'll have to keep using my phone for a bit to see if it happens again after I cleared my phone's Safari data and flushed the server cache (which I just did a minute ago).  For me I'm using my local wireless network, but I will try on AT&T cellular as well to see how it behaves there.

..Al

15 minutes ago, Albert said:

Please read my post above and see if that helps. 

..Al

I did that and had to refresh about 4 times before it kicked in. Now it looks normal again. For anyone else reading this, after clearing history and data, you may have to refresh many times before it will start working.