IGNORED

Forum Upgrade Today, June 15th! PLEASE READ!

Albert

6 minutes ago, Albert said:

@Shannon I have backed off on the "static.atariage.com" change, so please try reloading the site to see if it works properly now.  Several other people were having this issue, so I need to spend a bit more time researching this before I try implementing it again. 

Thanks,

..Al

And just like that, Chrome on iOS 13 loads the site now properly too (which it didn’t still, just an hour ago when I tried last). 

3 hours ago, Albert said:

@Shannon I have backed off on the "static.atariage.com" change, so please try reloading the site to see if it works properly now.  Several other people were having this issue, so I need to spend a bit more time researching this before I try implementing it again. 

All is well now.  Hopefully you'll figure it out.  Was this done to hopefully improve browser "caching".  So to speak?

2 hours ago, Shannon said:

All is well now.  Hopefully you'll figure it out.  Was this done to hopefully improve browser "caching".  So to speak?

Thanks for confirming it's now working for you.

Probably I will just go straight to using a CDN (Content Delivery Network) such as Cloudflare to offload all the static content.  There are also other benefits to doing so, but I need to investigate the costs, first.  This will have the same effect of moving all the static content off this server and it should load more quickly as well.  Plus the benefits of using a "cookieless server" for all that content, which was one of the things I was going for by doing that. 

..Al

• Like 1

On 7/5/2019 at 9:43 AM, Albert said:

I switched the Emoji yesterday from Twitter to local Emoji, and this makes the Emoji popup MUCH faster than it was before (it was taken 5-6 seconds to populate and fully render previously).  Much better now!!

?️

Does "local Emoji" just mean only the legacy emojis?

That is all that I see now

but for me, this is OK as I am not a big fan of emojis and the legacy group is fine for me

emoji.jpg

Edited by fdr4prez
  • Like 1

For those who don't know, we can put images at the top of our blog posts now. Example:

https://atariage.com/forums/blogs/blog/120-random-terrains-tetraternarium/

For the main blog (and my profile page), I used an image that was 1319 x 181. For the little blog entry previews, I used images that were 409 x 149.

• Like 1

I like the ability to view replies "inline" in Recent Status Updates without having to go to the poster's profile. (Assuming that functionality is part of this skin).

Would it be possible, when convenient, to also expand the original status update when displaying the replies? If a longer original status update is truncated for space, it remains that way even when the replies are expanded.

(Win10 Version 1809, Chrome Version 75.0.3770.100)

Has the page selection buttons disappeared on Mobile for everybody or just for me?  Now when I click on a topic, I jump to the very first message in the thread and have to select the last page from there.  I am using Dolphin browser on Android. 

Screenshot_20190708-161913_Dolphin.jpg

Just now, NinjaWarrior said:

It seems like when someone makes a thread

There's no "Preview Post" or what ever it called on the old server

Yes, there is a preview button. It's the last button in the editor toolbar, all the way on the right. 

Screen Shot 2019-07-08 at 4.45.45 PM.png

..Al

1 hour ago, SS said:

Has the page selection buttons disappeared on Mobile for everybody or just for me?  Now when I click on a topic, I jump to the very first message in the thread and have to select the last page from there.  I am using Dolphin browser on Android.

I asked the skin designer to remove these, as they were taking quite a bit of space in the forum view.  Tapatalk's interface does not provide page numbers, either.  I figured it was worth the trade-off in that you could more easily find a thread you wanted to view, and then once in the thread go to whatever page you wanted.

Having said that, you can get to the last page of any thread by clicking the username and date of the last post.  And if there are new posts since you last visited the thread, you can click on the icon to the left of the topic title to jump directly to the first new post.

image.png

Since these three links cover the actions most people would want, I felt it was reasonable to remove the page numbers from this mobile view.

..Al

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BigO said:

I like the ability to view replies "inline" in Recent Status Updates without having to go to the poster's profile. (Assuming that functionality is part of this skin).

Would it be possible, when convenient, to also expand the original status update when displaying the replies? If a longer original status update is truncated for space, it remains that way even when the replies are expanded.

(Win10 Version 1809, Chrome Version 75.0.3770.100)

Yes, I actually have the Recent Status Updates configured to display the full text of Status Updates and replies, but it's not working as it should.  I've already informed the author of this and a few other issues, but I haven't heard from him yet.

..Al

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, NinjaWarrior said:

That's why I couldn't find it, The old way, The Preview Post is a big button

Yeah, I don't like this either. When Invision 4.0 originally came out, it didn't have any way to preview posts at all.  The developers felt the WYSIWYG editor worked well enough that a preview was unnecessary.  Several of their customers were able to point out use cases where this was not true, so Invision (perhaps reluctantly) added this feature in.  I honestly don't know why they opted to add a small icon to the editor toolbar instead of just making a button as was previously the case.  It's completely unintuitive.

I might be able to get someone to add this functionality back as a plugin.

..Al

9 hours ago, Albert said:

I have uploaded a new version of the AtariAge forum theme, which has quite a few (mostly minor) changes.  if you notice anything awry, please let me know! 

..Al

The new AtariAge theme doesn't look good in Win7 Internet Explorer 11.

The main page is way too wide for the screen and you need to scroll Left<>Right to see everything, and there is a lot of whitespace

When you enter into a forum, then everything fits on the page, but it is rather squished on the right margin.

When you enter into a post, then it looks normal.

I tested a few different resolutions, and this attached video has my computer set to 1920x1080

The video is 20meg, so I zipped it and it is much smaller (sorry I don't have much of any screenshot recording software).

The other themes look using Internet Explorer.

When using Chrome, then everything looks good with the AtariAge theme 

AA theme.7z

21 minutes ago, fdr4prez said:

The new AtariAge theme doesn't look good in Win7 Internet Explorer 11.

I think all bets are off when using Internet Explorer.  Internet Explorer 11 is now five years old.  Do you see this same behavior when using the other available themes?  You can select three other themes at the bottom of the page.  In particular I'm curious if this happens with the "Invision" theme, which is the stock theme the forum ships with.

Is there some reason you are not using Microsoft Edge?  It should be available for Windows 7.

..Al

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Albert said:

I think all bets are off when using Internet Explorer.  Internet Explorer 11 is now five years old.  Do you see this same behavior when using the other available themes?  You can select three other themes at the bottom of the page.  In particular I'm curious if this happens with the "Invision" theme, which is the stock theme the forum ships with.

Is there some reason you are not using Microsoft Edge?  It should be available for Windows 7.

..Al

The other themes look good - including the Invision theme

Only the AtariAge theme is bad.

Edge is not available for Win7

IE with Invision theme:

invision.thumb.png.fe28ca1f7769edf2bc772479ab5f9ba3.png

Just an FYI: If you have Win10, it still includes Internet Explorer v11 (just search for it)

Edited by fdr4prez

5 minutes ago, fdr4prez said:

The other themes look good - including the Invision theme

Only the AtariAge theme is bad.

That's good to know, I can report this to the theme designer and hopefully he can fix it.  He did also write two of the other themes (that he sells commercially), Dimension and Deflection.  Can you tell me which version of Internet Explorer 11 you are running?

Edge is not available for Win7

It looks like Microsoft is now making Edge available for Windows 7 and Windows 8, which is interesting.  Here's a blog post from last month about this:

https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2019/06/19/introducing-microsoft-edge-preview-builds-for-windows-7-windows-8-and-windows-8-1/

It's also available through their Canary channel here

..Al

Thanks

5 minutes ago, Albert said:

That's good to know, I can report this to the theme designer and hopefully he can fix it.  He did also write two of the other themes (that he sells commercially), Dimension and Deflection.  Can you tell me which version of Internet Explorer 11 you are running?

11.png.4fd9ae43f5dc0b49a1c6f544bcef0310.png

7 minutes ago, Albert said:

It looks like Microsoft is now making Edge available for Windows 7 and Windows 8, which is interesting.  Here's a blog post from last month about this

Wow, thanks.  That is good news.  Thanks.

20 minutes ago, Albert said:

It looks like Microsoft is now making Edge available for Windows 7 and Windows 8, which is interesting.  Here's a blog post from last month about this:

https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2019/06/19/introducing-microsoft-edge-preview-builds-for-windows-7-windows-8-and-windows-8-1/

It's also available through their Canary channel here

And just like that I have Edge installed and running on Win7 :love:

• Like 1