IGNORED

Panama Joe face lift

TIX

Hey guys,

I'm doodling over a potential sprite hack of Montezuma's Revenge (my all time favorite, except of the main character..)

There are multiple versions and hacks of the game, I'm trying to decide which one is the best to hack..

Here is my first try (based on explorer Max cartoon and Rick Dangerous)

more coming :)

post-65-0-91533400-1560613323.gif

Edited by TIX
  • Like 5

Suggestion - if you have multiple animation sequences, once finished just put them all into the one Xex and have an intro screen at the finish of loading to select which one to use.

The 16K version... although supposedly more complete (?) I found it's just not within what I think is the spirit of the game - ie, an open adventure story that you're eventually supposed to finish with a boss fight.

Edited by Rybags
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Philsan said:

The version with titlescreen looks good but AFAIK it's a preliminary version.

Homesoft usually has up-to-date clean files so I attach its version:

[attachment=641808:Montezuma's Revenge.xex]

With the new forum all attachments are gone...

Anyway, both (mine and yours) files have the same hash: CRC32: 7b242aca

I'd recommend to use this small utility to check integrity: Febooti Hash & CRC, (Screenshot here)

And if it's possibly to have the new character in the 6 versions, would be even great.

Edited by tane

Thanks for the suggestions guys !

I'm afraid my hack will be strictly sprite editing, ripping intros and endings is way over my abilities ☹️

I thought the recent hack Montezuma again restores the ending, but I was wrong..

and here is Joe, if you missed him !

Joe9.gif.f5a0aa970bf0dfc94db1517f6b40b5c8.gif

Edited by TIX
  • Thanks 2

OK I settled on this little guy,

I made him sorter now stands at 20 pixels height (as the original Joe), and cleaned him up considerably,

it also appears to be 4 frames in the original walking animation.. so I have to squeeze in one more !

here he is, in comparison with his former self

Joe14.gif.72cb5ee5e4efb2c01d6c66e2e343887b.gif Joe39.gif.8f958ff237e23106e6257e4381f2c7ed.gif

• Like 1

In my opinion it looks good, but a little fat for the character (the 2 at the right, 2 posts ago). The character of Montezuma stands out for its agility, quickly jumping from one side to the other.

Also, the guy who made the Montezuma Again months ago is known in this forum. Maybe you could join forces to make a marvel.

This guy has been working hard in a new engine:

https://www.youtube.com/user/loleranciacero/videos

Edited by tane
  • Like 3

Hi all,

I am also a fan of the game, and create a similar but simpler character.

moctezuma.png.2edefa843f150726399b8225dcc8280d.png
I've been talking to the creator of Montezuma Again but to design a moctezuma 3 "using the original name" but respecting the gameplay and style. but all renovated and improved

regards

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ascrnet said:

Hi all,

I am also a fan of the game, and create a similar but simpler character.

I've been talking to the creator of Montezuma Again but to design a moctezuma 3 "using the original name" but respecting the gameplay and style. but all renovated and improved

regards

I would definitely be interested in a joined effort for a new Joe adventure ?

Sorry but you do realize that panama joe is supposed to wear a panama hat? Or similar... this one is high end but there are rough and tumble floppy brimmed versions as well and some have been stylized with roll up brims... Panama Joe just isn't going to have that look without his PANAMA HAT!

image.jpeg.f55929c11027c3076e269ca492480f31.jpegimage.jpeg.568f54a4055ac2d220c45efed5ac3ccf.jpegimage.jpeg.ef807ecf3c27db85ce7f94dac706ca30.jpeg

Edited by _The Doctor__

Lol, it's about the game theme, flavor, look and feel- not the hacking per se'

Almost all of the hacks improve the look of the games, correcting issues, and have for the most part brought them to a level that all have felt they should have been. That's been something you've excelled at.

A remake from one game to another was a nice avenue that worked well and was the purpose of some other hacks that have been quite successful.

The flavor or charm of a game is part of what puts the retro-gamer and their imagination into the world and adds to the enjoyment. I didn't think you were doing a remake of the game from one to another. At first I thought you were going to clean Joe up and spiff him up a bit. If you want to make hard hat mack or electrician, that's cool. I don't think you're making Panama Joe is all. As for being insulting, I don't think anyone was being so, certainly not me... so the whole disappointment hack it yourself comment was poor form imho.

I've enjoyed commenting, asking, and suggesting in your' other threads. They had clear goals, improvements, and great outcomes. Hoping for the same here. I had high hopes for P J (a beloved character), but by definition, he needs to have a Panama flair.