IGNORED

Panama Joe face lift

TIX

2 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

The flavor or charm of a game is part of what puts the retro-gamer and their imagination into the world and adds to the enjoyment. I didn't think you were doing a remake of the game from one to another. At first I thought you were going to clean Joe up and spiff him up a bit. If you want to make hard hat mack or electrician, that's cool. I don't think you're making Panama Joe is all. As for being insulting, I don't think anyone was being so, certainly not me... so the whole disappointment hack it yourself comment was poor form imho.

I've enjoyed commenting, asking, and suggesting in your' other threads. They had clear goals, improvements, and great outcomes. Hoping for the same here. I had high hopes for P J (a beloved character), but by definition, he needs to have a Panama flair.

Well a comment is one thing, irony is another.. I don't respond well to irony.

I share my hobby creations here, so enjoy them or ignore them, but do it politely and we are gonna be just fine !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, TIX said:

I would definitely be interested in a joined effort for a new Joe adventure ?

It would be an honor to help, the idea is to create a new adventure but with all this improved because Robert Jaeger did not like the creation of Montezuma Again!. then to avoid any problem we came up with a version 3. but using the original name aztec moctezuma and design it to be an explorer who enters an Aztec pyramid

regards

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ascrnet said:

It would be an honor to help, the idea is to create a new adventure but with all this improved because Robert Jaeger did not like the creation of Montezuma Again!. then to avoid any problem we came up with a version 3. but using the original name aztec moctezuma and design it to be an explorer who enters an Aztec pyramid

regards

Able were you working on the smooth scroll fixes on this or did someone else grab the code from your repository and start that project?

23 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Able were you working on the smooth scroll fixes on this or did someone else grab the code from your repository and start that project?

I think it was José Tomás Parga, the same fellow behind Montezuma Again.

Edited by Yautja
YOLO.

20 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

If there is a repository but still does not upload any code, only some designs like the browser and new designs of the enemies. but it would be great to also have your collaboration.

20 hours ago, Yautja said:

I think it was José Tomás Parga, the same fellow behind Montezuma Again.

That is a proof of concept that the friend Jose did but it will be implemented in the new game.

We have also thought about using two buttons using the Joy 2B+ project

9 hours ago, tane said:

I remember I was playing creating new items for this game months ago: 

Image1.thumb.png.014be9234ddc5031cd55bee526f4ea9d.png

good job, I did something similar but not use what was already done in the montezumas

mocte3.png.6b2929965886fd7c35d951d31b1f5315.png

regards

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ascrnet said:

That is a proof of concept that the friend Jose did but it will be implemented in the new game.

You should tell Jose Tomas to release a public editor of Montezuma (likely Windows based). If there is anyone in the world, are both of you, in order to bring alive such a good game like Montezuma with many new levels made by fans, like now with Boulder Dash.

On 6/19/2019 at 5:21 AM, ascrnet said:

you have PM

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 12:13 PM, TIX said:

HA HA... no

I choose to give my hero a pith helmet, like the 19th century explorers that discovered the Mayan ruins..

Hi TIX, no disrespect meant, but would you consider something like this:

581684993_NewPanamaJoe.GIF.85fac404fc51b6a620a6dfc72376a9f0.GIF

I just manipulated the sprite frames that you posted earlier, taking the best elements from each.  You could use this frame as a starting point and base the rest of his animations frames off of it.  I think that it is more in keeping with the spirit of the original and would silence any critics.

• Like 1

Wow, sorry you feel that way.  I didn't intend any insult, I was just making a suggestion and trying to be helpful.  ?

No worries man, no offense taken !

just a more interesting project got in the way ?

Edited by TIX
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, TIX said:

Wow, sorry you feel that way.  I didn't intend any insult, I was just making a suggestion and trying to be helpful.  ?

No worries man, no offense taken !

just a more interesting project got in the way ?

Hey, I totally understand, then I hope you don't mind if I post a .gif that I made based on your designs:

1741821710_NewPanamaJoe.gif.72cb7055819e6adcc4dcde227af5763c.gif

What do you think, does it look cool?

On 6/20/2019 at 12:00 AM, tane said:

You should tell Jose Tomas to release a public editor of Montezuma (likely Windows based). If there is anyone in the world, are both of you, in order to bring alive such a good game like Montezuma with many new levels made by fans, like now with Boulder Dash.

If we ever talk about releasing the editor, but there are no dates for it and I do not know if it will. since the comments of Robert Jaeger were not encouraging so to not lose all their work we will make a new version of their own. We will do as did Avalon and Mirage companies that made the same type of game but with their own versions.

2 hours ago, NostAlgae37 said:

1741821710_NewPanamaJoe.gif.72cb7055819e6adcc4dcde227af5763c.gif

? Keystone Kaper hat?

Edited by ascrnet
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ascrnet said:

since the comments of Robert Jaeger were not encouraging so to not lose all their work we will make a new version of their own. We will do as did Avalon and Mirage companies that made the same type of game but with their own versions.

The current Montezuma version is good, so don't lose its essence. If the developer would be interested in the game, he would either release his own second version or release the source code, but as it's not commercially profitable, he hasn't done anything in decades, and he won't. I'm sure Peter Liepa is quite impressed with all the new levels lying around ready to have fun.

montezumas_revenge_parker.gif.58fc894118da1eed34f9e699711e36f5.gif

4 hours ago, ascrnet said:

? Keystone Kaper hat?

Heh, it's not easy making something that looks like a Panama hat with so few pixels, but the intent was to make a hat that was ambiguous looking enough to be interpreted either as a Panama hat or a pith helmet, depending on your bias.  I suppose that I could have put one pixel at each top corner of the hat that is the same color as the hat band to simulate shadow/depth there, but I'm not sure if it would look any better (I tried it and it looked a bit odd).  It also didn't seem to look right when the top was completely square, with those 2 corner pixels the same color as the hat.  So if you've got a better suggestion, I'm certainly open to making adjustments.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

In post #2, I published the main files for Montezuma. Here is a fix for the first version (Montezuma 1). Recently ascrnet did a superb fix to the first version, published in a wiki (likely it would have been lost in a website with few visits, as well as many other files published only on facebook pages). The most important is it fixes 2 bad rooms:

1710369665_MontezumaLevel1.thumb.png.af3907b4331dbabe2d34779be1a4c474.png

However it wasn't published in "plain text", allowing future hacks or improvements. So here is a fixed version:

• Based on current version of Homesoft.
  • Includes fixes in the 2 rooms.
  • Main character without square shoulders.
  • Level selection from 1 to 9.
  • In "plain text" (not compressed).

Montezuma.xex

• Like 1

1. Montezuma Classic:

Update to the previous file: Montezuma.xex

Changes: Small fixes to non-symmetric "left-right" pixels in "Panama Joe".

2. Montezuma Revenge: With "Panama Joe":

It remains to change the image of the lives, and the name from "Pedro" to "Panama Joe" in the demo. It wasn't immediately found, maybe someone else can finish the job, I'm currently working in another big project.

Montezuma's Revenge !.xex

Edited by tane
  • Like 1

The more options available the better. You should open a topic for proposals of changes for characters, there are many games with huge potential with just small changes, like Snokie.

Sorry about multiple versions, new update available. If you find another mistake please pop-up.

1078316916_Montezumacomparison.png.a3cbe7bae4a034512b7c4ef9828aef8e.png

Montezuma.xex Montezuma's Revenge ! with Panama Joe.xex

Edited by tane

17 hours ago, tane said:

published the main files for Montezuma. Here is a fix for the first version (Montezuma 1)

You are totally wrong, the version is Preliminary Monty

18 hours ago, tane said:

However it wasn't published in "plain text", allowing future hacks or improvements.

The reason it was compressed is to fix the Preliminary Monty version which was leaked before its final version called Parker Brothers Montezuma's Revenge.

7 hours ago, TIX said:

I'm planing of hacking this anyway, my fresh sprites are siting unused !

Good idea, it would be a hack version of Preliminary Monty

Even several ideas came up, to make it an end when passing level 9 for example ...

Greetings

• Like 1