IGNORED

Panama Joe face lift

TIX

9 minutes ago, ascrnet said:

You are totally wrong, the version is Preliminary Monty

I was referring to post 2. Anyway with only 2 versions it's clear which one it is.

12 minutes ago, ascrnet said:

The reason it was compressed is

I though is was compressed for cassette compatibility.

The "Preliminary Monty" reference stuck because the crackers who first "distributed" the game added that to the intro and shortened "Montezuma" to "Monty" so it could fit on a single line of text while the game was being loaded. As a title, not only does Preliminary Monty mean absolutely nothing but it's misleading as well. The big version with the animated intro is the prototype and the so-called Preliminary Monty is the same as the commercial edition of Montezuma's Revenge by Parker Brothers.

Edited by www.atarimania.com
  • Like 3

Robert Jaeger for quite a some time is working on new incarnation of Montezu, unfortunately not for Atari, but I recall it must be finishing off Montezuma's Revenge.

Maybe based on this, when it's ready, we could have completed version of Montezuma's Revenge, too?

Preliminary Monty (16k) although a finished game, for me simply wasn't THAT Montezuma, missing the element of unknown adventure and mystery ?

Edited by Jacques

On 5/23/2020 at 12:18 PM, www.atarimania.com said:

The "Preliminary Monty" reference stuck because the crackers who first "distributed" the game added that to the intro and shortened "Montezuma" to "Monty" so it could fit on a single line of text while the game was being loaded. As a title, not only does Preliminary Monty mean absolutely nothing but it's misleading as well. The big version with the animated intro is the prototype and the so-called Preliminary Monty is the same as the commercial edition of Montezuma's Revenge by Parker Brothers.

By the way:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montezuma's_Revenge_(video_game)

The game's title references a colloquial expression for diarrhea contracted while visiting Mexico.

??

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, tane said:

For those who downloaded files from post #49, here is a (final) update...

There were around 10 pixels fixed (noticeable with "magnifying glass"). The goal was to keep the same style of what it was supposed to be.

Montezuma's Revenge ! with Panama Joe (Loader Maxflash in 0700).xex 33.3 kB · 8 downloads Montezuma Classic.xex 12.8 kB · 8 downloads

Did you also change the colours? The snakes are now blue vs. more of a teal green in the previous version.

I'm running Altirra with a custom palette so colours may not be the same for everyone, but they're definitely different between this version and the last.

4 hours ago, Eyvind Bernhardsen said:

Did you also change the colours? The snakes are now blue vs. more of a teal green in the previous version.

I'm running Altirra with a custom palette so colours may not be the same for everyone, but they're definitely different between this version and the last.

Yes, there was a small change for uniformity. For example colors E and F should be avoided because they don't look the same in all machines, even if both are NTSC, it depends a lot of the GTIA. It was tested in real HW, and always is opt to you.

1 hour ago, tane said:

Yes, there was a small change for uniformity. For example colors E and F should be avoided because they don't look the same in all machines, even if both are NTSC, it depends a lot of the GTIA. It was tested in real HW, and always is opt to you.

Thanks, I think I’ll stick with the older version then. I like your version of Panama Joe, but I prefer the colours I remember :)

1 hour ago, Eyvind Bernhardsen said:

Thanks, I think I’ll stick with the older version then. I like your version of Panama Joe, but I prefer the colours I remember :)

Ok, here is original snake & spider, it's the same of post #55 which I think is better, but I understand preferences: Montezuma Classic.xex

The "Revenge" version remains (to an enthusiast) to change the image of lives, and the name to "Panama Joe" in the demo.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, tane said:

Ok, here is original snake & spider, it's the same of post #55 which I think is better, but I understand preferences: Montezuma Classic.xex

The "Revenge" version remains (to an enthusiast) to change the image of lives, and the name to "Panama Joe" in the demo.

Can you make one for the Into version too?

2 hours ago, tane said:

Much appreciated. Nostalgia is a weird thing.

On 5/28/2020 at 10:16 AM, suppawer said:

By the way:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montezuma's_Revenge_(video_game)

The game's title references a colloquial expression for diarrhea contracted while visiting Mexico.

yeah it's a nickname they use in Mexico for what is called "Travellers' Diarrhea"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travelers'_diarrhea#Montezuma's_revenge

I think the general TL;DR of it is it comes from a bacteria in the water and sometimes the food. The people who live there are immune to it, but visitors who are not used to consuming it will gt sick when doing so. As indicated by the article, it's not just a thing in Mexico, there are other places in the world where one can get it.

Edited by TheRaven81

many places lack sanitation, there is a grocery list of protozoa, bacteria, viruses, and other parasites running rampant in these locations. It's in the water, it's in some or the food, and it's in the people. The people spread it all over the place, lacking in hygiene and sanitation. It passes back into the ecosystem as a result. It's ingested multiplies and is passed through bodily fluids back again... over and over... You can't say they are immune, but rather tolerate it as hosts. A number of individuals actually do develop an immunity to some of it, but not enough to develop herd immunity sufficient enough to break the cycle. The only way to end the cycle is to process sewage properly, keep things clean, and people themselves for that matter. Not unlike any of the things traveling around these days. Cleaning hands, and other steps to impede transmission need be taken.

Hopefully Panama Jack/Joe/Jim will kill all the bad nasty bugs during his travels, and not end up spreading it :O

On 6/6/2020 at 2:11 PM, tjlazer said:

Can you make one for the Into version too?

Into version??  I guess you're referring to the "revenge version", that one was barely touched, just replaced the character, no colors changes were made.

I was trying the Montezuma Revenge in Altirra using the keyboard mapped as joystick, left and right worked but not down.  I tried the classic version and down is working in that version.  They look great.

Edit:  I kept playing with altirra and the down does work but it is very difficult to get just right.

Edited by venom4728a
  • Like 1

On 6/8/2020 at 2:58 PM, tane said:

Into version?? I guess you're referring to the "revenge version", that one was barely touched, just replaced the character, no colors changes were made.

Sorry meant Intro version, yeah the Revenge version.