IGNORED

Welcome!

DrVenkman

I thought this might be a good way to help Albert test out the new Clubs feature, and provide a good, centralized place to help folks with XEL/XLD-specific build, use and operational questions. The existing 8-bit forum threads are huge (“Yooooge!”) and rather unwieldy to search through. Here we can address people’s issues as they come up without stuff being lost in the noise of older posts with possibly outdated or superseded info. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Albert said:

Love that cover image!  I'd really like to get one of these someday..

..Al

Thanks, @Albert! Both the XEL and XLD are a ton of fun to build, and different enough from one another to make assembling one distinctly different from assembling the other. 

So tl;dr: build both! :D

Edited by DrVenkman

• 2 months later...

Welcome new Club members @Firedawg, @Mr Robot and @ebiguy

I hope you are all enjoying your 1088XEL machines and/or build processes, and if you're planning to build a 1088XLD, it's another whole set of fun. And playing MIDI files through your Atari is certainly nothing I could have done in 1986! Certainly not through a $40 wavetable synth that sounds like this! :)

• Like 3

Thanks DrV.  Very impressive machine to say the least.  I built 4 of the XEL's where I built 2 for friends and kept 2 for myself, so I was a bit burnt out from soldering after that I must say.  I recently acquired an eClaire XL from Panos and I have been hacking around with it running it through its paces.  Any way, XLD looks interesting and no doubt a challenge to build.  People should know that its not the building that is hard part but rather the trouble shooting when things don't work;)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Firedawg said:

Thanks DrV.  Very impressive machine to say the least.  I built 4 of the XEL's where I built 2 for friends and kept 2 for myself, so I was a bit burnt out from soldering after that I must say.  I recently acquired an eClaire XL from Panos and I have been hacking around with it running it through its paces.  Any way, XLD looks interesting and no doubt a challenge to build.  People should know that its not the building that is hard but rather the trouble shooting when things don't work;)

Dude .. FOUR DAYS of banging my head on the desk and spending every spare brain cycle at working wondering WTF was wrong ...

Once I got that tiny little sumbitch de-soldered and reinstalled correctly, BOOM. :) In the interim, the ‘scope traces were utterly bizarre. I’d post them for illustration but they’re on my PC and I’m posting from my iPad just now. 

6863F5E9-2268-4A03-8BBF-9DCEC5D0462D.jpeg

6DEE3C35-7553-458F-8D10-C86ECFC96F38.jpeg

058A53AF-327D-4A50-BAC4-F015C3DF187F.jpeg

5AC14FE5-1F61-41CD-9025-D31377B340B9.jpeg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

Thanks for the welcome. Let's say the XEL has been on my mind lately...

IMG_2067.jpeg

Excellent! Have you built an XEL before? Or are you building some for someone else right now? Or - based on your computer image - are you designing something cool for it? :)

• Like 1

That black box there is my XEL. I ordered 2 boards but only built one.

I'm doing things in tinkercad that require me to have an accurate model of the board populated.

I bet you drunk the night you found that diode! LOL

Edited by Mr Robot

3 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

That black box there is my XEL. I ordered 2 boards but only built one.

I'm doing things in tinkercad that require me to have an accurate model of the board populated.

I bet you drunk the night you found that diode! LOL

It was a Thursday night, as I recall, and I was *very* happy I figured it out! :)

89E05DBE-6525-4E90-8759-326CCC7A1E29.jpeg

• Like 2

On 8/16/2019 at 8:45 PM, DrVenkman said:

Welcome new Club members @Firedawg, @Mr Robot and @ebiguy

I hope you are all enjoying your 1088XEL machines and/or build processes, and if you're planning to build a 1088XLD, it's another whole set of fun. And playing MIDI files through your Atari is certainly nothing I could have done in 1986! Certainly not through a $40 wavetable synth that sounds like this! :)

Where did you get the MIDI sequencer and files for playing?  I finally got my XLD up and running, looking for some new stuff to try with it.

I think this particular app and track came from the TOSEC archive or someplace like that. Most of the .MID files I have, along with the MIDIPL13 player program, I got from Michael’s website. FYI once you track down a MIDI player, there are a ton of tracks available at midiworld.net (I think that’s the URL). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1