IGNORED

Collector's Call episode featuring Sean Kelly

I have watched every episode of Collector's Call on MeTV so far. I enjoy the show, as a lifelong collector of various things myself, plus I really like Lisa Whelchel. So after having seen the teaser preview last week, I was really looking forward to tonight's episode featuring the video game collection. Unfortunately, it was easily, by far, the most boring episode of the entire series.

In each episode, they generally feature only 5 or 6 items selected from the person's collection. I think there were two issues that made this episode boring and uninteresting. First, I thought the few items selected to be featured, although rare, were not necessarily very interesting, and were not appealing enough to be displayed and discussed. Secondly, and I think this was a huge mistake, they did not show or demonstrate any video games in action (except for the CommaVid Video Life cartridge, which is not really a game that is played). I think that was a big fail. This was, after all, a guy showing off his video game collection AND a tv show. I think it would have been far more effective and interesting for a gamer to show us some of his cool games by actually playing them and demonstrating them in action.

I am not sure what types of items Sean Kelly has in his collection. I have no doubt that his collection is huge and amazing. But in terms of making an interesting tv show to be consumed by the general public, I think they really missed the mark with regards to the items selected to be featured in the episode. As I was anticipating this episode all week, I was trying to envision the kind of things we might see. I thought maybe a 1972 Magnavox Odyssey with Shooting Gallery Rifle, an Entex Adventurevision, or perhaps some of the Atari 2600 games like Air Raid, Crazy Climber, or Chase The Chuck Wagon. How did Sean Kelly (the multi-cart guru), of all people, not show a Vectrex? I would have suggested demonstrating a Vectrex and have Lisa Whelchel try it out while wearing the 3D imager. I think that would have been good tv. Or perhaps I am a bit biased due to my 1980s Blair Warner crush.

Most of the episodes have been pretty good, my favorite so far probably being the guy with the huge movie posters collection. Well anyway, I will be interested to hear any other opinions, and whether or not anyone else also found the video game collection episode to be rather boring and lackluster.

• 4 years later...
On 6/17/2019 at 1:34 AM, atarivision said:

How did Sean Kelly (the multi-cart guru), of all people, not show a Vectrex?

What’s funny is that I brought a big beautiful Vectrex controller from Brett Walach, but they thought the Videosoft cartridge was more interesting.  *shrug*