IGNORED

One switch games for phone

I like playing quick, simple games on my phone (I commute by train), but generally I prefer single touch games as I can't stand virtual dpads. My favorite Android single touch games are Release, the awesome port of the awesome vectrex homebrew game, and Line Breaker. I also sometimes play Cannabalt and Whip Swing (which plays like the first level of Jungle Hunt, with some twists). 

I also find that one switch games work well in emulation on the phone. For the 2600, I set up shortcuts for 3 one switch homebrew games, Wall Jump Ninja, Cave 1K, and Jump VCS. For the C64, I have the excellent Flappy Bird port and PO Snake. And for the SNES I have yet another one switch homebrew, Jet Pilot Rising. 

Question... Am I unaware of other one touch games for classic systems which might work well on phone emulation? 

I find two touch games aren't bad on a touchscreen either (Robot Unicorn Attack, Granny Smith). But there seems to be an even greater lack of such games on classic systems... All I can think of is 2600 Freeway (up, down), which you need a second player for, and Donkey Kong King of Swing for Gameboy Advance, which is played with only the shoulder buttons as I recall...

Ideas? 

41 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Some stuff on my phone that I liked which I think would fit the bill include (all of these should also be on Android)

Super Hexagon

PARADE!

Boson X

Crossy Road

Grumpy Cat's Worst Game Ever

Pac-Man 256

Peter Panic

Icycle

Homerun Battle 2

Super Hexagon is a two switch game that I personally find to be far more playable with a controller on Steam. 

Crossy Road and Pac Man 256 are two of the better implementations of swipe controls, which are decent with four direction, no button games where you can anticipate your next move.

I'll take a look at the others... 

Still wondering if I overlooked any classic one switch or two switch games though... 

But you'd need the emulator to map the button to a large part of the screen.  A typical virtual touchscreen controller doesn't help.  My old, old android phone had several physical buttons and even an optical directional control.  I could map controls in mame4droid and play games reasonably well.  I'd map left/right to the volume rocker and play fixed shooters well.  Can't do this on newer phones.

If you like Lunar Lander, try Lunar Mission on Android.  No analog thrust control however.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mr_me said:

But you'd need the emulator to map the button to a large part of the screen.  A typical virtual touchscreen controller doesn't help.  My old, old android phone had several physical buttons and even an optical directional control.  I could map controls in mame4droid and play games reasonably well.  I'd map left/right to the volume rocker and play fixed shooters well.  Can't do this on newer phones.

If you like Lunar Lander, try Lunar Mission on Android.  No analog thrust control however.

The .emu series of emulators on Android allow you to create a very large, and transparent, button on any corner of the screen. 

No such luck with Retroarch.