Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Kalani

Are these Source ports feasible?

Recommended Posts

The source code  for the n64 mk trilogy and turbo graphix / neo geo source code for art of fighting. How feasible would porting either of those be? Mk trilogy is a early build?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kalani said:

The source code  for the n64 mk trilogy and turbo graphix / neo geo source code for art of fighting. How feasible would porting either of those be? Mk trilogy is a early build?

I'm definitely not qualified to say but speculate it being harder to convert said source into something usable for the Jag than it would be to write something entirely from the ground up.

 

Does the source also contain all the original music and art assets?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMHO you could reuse the "gameplay"/AI, but everything else must be redone, the Jaguar hardware it's very different to the other consoles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Clint Thompson said:

I'm definitely not qualified to say but speculate it being harder to convert said source into something usable for the Jag than it would be to write something entirely from the ground up.

 

Does the source also contain all the original music and art assets?

Yes they do. The art of fighting  uses the turbo 16 asets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2019 at 2:37 AM, Clint Thompson said:

I'm definitely not qualified to say but speculate it being harder to convert said source into something usable for the Jag than it would be to write something entirely from the ground up.

 

Does the source also contain all the original music and art assets?

The mk sources diffinately does https://archive.org/download/Various-Mortal-Kombat-3-Source-Code-Collection

Edited by Kalani
Sent before finished making reply

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2019 at 3:06 AM, swapd0 said:

IMHO you could reuse the "gameplay"/AI, but everything else must be redone, the Jaguar hardware it's very different to the other consoles.

I wonder if something like Microwindows was adapted for the Jag if that would help ease the conversion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went through all 3 PC, PSX and N64 and none seem to include original artwork sources. The PC has a few screens for title and copyright text but nothing useful otherwise from the quick glimpse through it all. It does have all the sfx and music however.

 

Suppose there's this but I can't imagine it going well, especially without a ton of work involved: https://www.mortalkombatwarehouse.com/umk3/#title

Edited by Clint Thompson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could they have been baked into the obj files?  They are substantially bigger than the corresponding ASM files. Ie Artbell ASM file is 390 bytes. It's obj file is substantially bigger. 332k

 

If so though the original separate artwork does seem to be not included. At least in the PC version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, JagChris said:

Could they have been baked into the obj files?  They are substantially bigger than the corresponding ASM files. Ie Artbell ASM file is 390 bytes. It's obj file is substantially bigger. 332k

 

If so though the original separate artwork does seem to be not included. At least in the PC version.

Probably the case but no idea how to reverse/extract that. Even with assets extracted, I don't see anyone putting the time and effort into re-creating something like this when there are a dozen other perfectly good ports already in existence and effort better spent elsewhere for new or different games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow you guys really overthink stuff around here. Clint you wouldn't need the specific graphics assets from these sources if you wanted to recreate Mortal Kombat on Jaguar. You could use the source code and adapt one of many M.U.G.E.N. .sff files to this source.

Literally EVERY Mortal Kombat character has been ripped for use with M.U.G.E.N. as well as all the healthbars and hitspark effects. Most of the .sff files are pretty small in size and usually in 8 bit 256 color.

 

Although, I wouldn't want to invest the time in reconstructing such a project either. Even with all of the graphics assets readily available it sounds like a PITA.

 

There was a guy here before who was heavily into Mortal Kombat and M.U.G.E.N. coding. He was a Jaguar fan. I don't remember his name but I'm willing to bet if anyone would be able to get this type of project going, it would be him

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, JagChris said:

Could they have been baked into the obj files?  They are substantially bigger than the corresponding ASM files. Ie Artbell ASM file is 390 bytes. It's obj file is substantially bigger. 332k

 

If so though the original separate artwork does seem to be not included. At least in the PC version.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DC7w7g1_gSMA&ved=2ahUKEwiJ84SU8f3iAhUNLs0KHYe3B0EQwqsBMAF6BAgBEAU&usg=AOvVaw3C1UH9AwHHFJ7GnJrUTvd2 people are building the sources for n64.  Have you seen the mortal Kombat 2 plus or ultimate mortal Kombat 3 plus arcade rom hack. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

Wow you guys really overthink stuff around here. Clint you wouldn't need the specific graphics assets from these sources if you wanted to recreate Mortal Kombat on Jaguar. You could use the source code and adapt one of many M.U.G.E.N. .sff files to this source.

Literally EVERY Mortal Kombat character has been ripped for use with M.U.G.E.N. as well as all the healthbars and hitspark effects. Most of the .sff files are pretty small in size and usually in 8 bit 256 color.

 

Although, I wouldn't want to invest the time in reconstructing such a project either. Even with all of the graphics assets readily available it sounds like a PITA.

 

There was a guy here before who was heavily into Mortal Kombat and M.U.G.E.N. coding. He was a Jaguar fan. I don't remember his name but I'm willing to bet if anyone would be able to get this type of project going, it would be him

 

What about art of fighting. It's code is 68k asm? Shouldn't it be the easier of the conversions. It's only three button punch kick shift-style/throw. Plus a taunt and start Which could be consolidated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

 

Literally EVERY Mortal Kombat character has been ripped for use with M.U.G.E.N. as well as all the healthbars and hitspark effects. Most of the .sff files are pretty small in size and usually in 8 bit 256 color.

 

Although, I wouldn't want to invest the time in reconstructing such a project either. Even with all of the graphics assets readily available it sounds like a PITA.

I believe that I read the 3do version used the PSX sources. If that's the case then it would probably  be easier to match up what goes where than using graphic rips.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Kalani said:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DC7w7g1_gSMA&ved=2ahUKEwiJ84SU8f3iAhUNLs0KHYe3B0EQwqsBMAF6BAgBEAU&usg=AOvVaw3C1UH9AwHHFJ7GnJrUTvd2 people are building the sources for n64.  Have you seen the mortal Kombat 2 plus or ultimate mortal Kombat 3 plus arcade rom hack. 

If the obj files are there they might just be having it link the obj files instead of checking dependancies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, JagChris said:

If the obj files are there they might just be having it link the obj files instead of checking dependancies.

I will ask those that compiled the rom about the about the assets.  Maybe the assets where in original dump and not on the current upload. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2019 at 3:17 AM, Clint Thompson said:

I went through all 3 PC, PSX and N64 and none seem to include original artwork sources. The PC has a few screens for title and copyright text but nothing useful otherwise from the quick glimpse through it all. It does have all the sfx and music however.

 

Suppose there's this but I can't imagine it going well, especially without a ton of work involved: https://www.mortalkombatwarehouse.com/umk3/#title

large.Screenshot_20190626-124836.png.2d0e8d6d51e6c3b39fdc17cd6a3bffd7.png some one said check out .psi files.  https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/9r0l0n/someone_on_4chan_leaked_source_codes_for_mortal/ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...