IGNORED

Best Atari ST Public Domain/Shareware/Freeware games?

Zap!

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There is a game called Match-It for the ST that I have been playing for years!  I stumbled on it via a public domain compilation floppy disk, and have been playing it for over 10 years.  Sadly, I use my MISTer as well as Hatari on the PC now, as I do not have a real ST at the moment, but the game is awesome.    Uses Mahjong tiles, but instead of building them in a 3D pyramid, it is laid out in a grid of various sizes depending on the level, and you have to remove pairs with only two bends in the connection line.  Very fun and exciting.  Written by Marko Feikert in GFA Basic.   image.thumb.png.1b5bc623c05c494823c25018b8905974.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2023 at 5:38 PM, scotty said:

There is a game called Match-It for the ST that I have been playing for years!  I stumbled on it via a public domain compilation floppy disk, and have been playing it for over 10 years.  Sadly, I use my MISTer as well as Hatari on the PC now, as I do not have a real ST at the moment, but the game is awesome.    Uses Mahjong tiles, but instead of building them in a 3D pyramid, it is laid out in a grid of various sizes depending on the level, and you have to remove pairs with only two bends in the connection line.  Very fun and exciting.  Written by Marko Feikert in GFA Basic.   

Nice, I like this variation of Mahjong Solitaire. The game format is called Shisen-Sho, if you were curious, or sometimes Rivers. Doesn't seem to get adapted nearly as often as regular "Shanghai" Mahjong Solitaire, but it's a good time. There's a couple of good versions on Switch these days.

• Like 1

Martin Brownlow's version of Julian Gollop's ZX Spectrum game CHAOS is my favorite pd game for the Atari. Honestly, it's one of the few ST games I still play regularly. 

edit: you can use the numberpad for navigating the choosing of spells, etc. as well as movement during your turn. the '0' key acts as a cursor select. Instructions are listed on the Atarimania link above.

Edited by popsicle

22 hours ago, popsicle said:

Martin Brownlow's version of Julian Gollop's ZX Spectrum game CHAOS is my favorite pd game for the Atari. Honestly, it's one of the few ST games I still play regularly. 

edit: you can use the numberpad for navigating the choosing of spells, etc. as well as movement during your turn. the '0' key acts as a cursor select. Instructions are listed on the Atarimania link above.

I have the version of Chaos on my cellphone.  It is a damn nifty little game with a high level of replayability to it.

• 6 months later...
On 6/24/2023 at 12:38 PM, scotty said:

There is a game called Match-It for the ST that I have been playing for years!  I stumbled on it via a public domain compilation floppy disk, and have been playing it for over 10 years.  Sadly, I use my MISTer as well as Hatari on the PC now, as I do not have a real ST at the moment, but the game is awesome.    Uses Mahjong tiles, but instead of building them in a 3D pyramid, it is laid out in a grid of various sizes depending on the level, and you have to remove pairs with only two bends in the connection line.  Very fun and exciting.  Written by Marko Feikert in GFA Basic.   image.thumb.png.1b5bc623c05c494823c25018b8905974.png

For some reason, the version I have is called Take-Two. Fun, but I don't like that the timer is so fast.