IGNORED

Brainstorming new ideas for the TIPI/RPi & old Android Cellphones

Omega-TI

Matt & Corey have done amazing things with the TIPI that will take us quite literally YEARS into the future.  Also, I might add that since it already does so much, it's getting harder to think of new things/applications that it could possibly do.  

However, a thought recently crossed my mind... many of us have old unused cellphones, could there be anything to gain by plugging in an old Android phone into a TIPI?  The cellphone would probably need a program running on it, and I'm at a loss to think of anything to be gained that could not be done with the MYTI99.COM site, but who knows?  There are a lot of brighter people than myself here, and if we could do anything new or expand our capabilities for the price of a micro USB cable, it might be interesting. 

Now for those who would rather use their current cellphones, the only thing I came up with would be as an interface to allow the TI to do the text messaging as it charged your phone.

? For those without TIPI's, I'm also wondering if an UberGROM cartridge could interface with a cellphone to allow some TIPI-like applications. ?

7 hours ago, --- Ω --- said:

Really?  I have three memory sticks and a USB keyboard on one RPi and a USB mouse on my TIPI so I just assumed.

you have those things connected to a raspberry pi, so can you do the things you want on the pi directly?  TIPI is the board that connects your TI to the PI .. and it has no USB 

Greg

45 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

you have those things connected to a raspberry pi, so can you do the things you want on the pi directly?  TIPI is the board that connects your TI to the PI .. and it has no USB 

Greg

Yes, the TIPI includes the PI, and there are things I imagine one could do with a cellphone connected that they could not do with the PI alone.  For instance SMS messaging could be one possibility or using the microphone for sampling and integration for programs and many other things I've not even considered.  Using the TI as an interface to augment some functions or even add new capabilities cheaply because so many people already have one could give us hobbyists another reason to turn on the TI more often.  

Like I said, just brainstorming for ideas.  This may turn out to be a complete dud, but progress is never made without thinking about the possibilities.

24 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

so.. if you type in sms raspberry pi in google you get

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=69286

what do you need a phone for? 

Well, since my SMS messages from other people are come in over my phone, I thought it would be kind of cool to use my TI to read and reply them using it's keyboard, instead of the cheesy on screen one.