IGNORED

New Evercade Handheld System

999galaxyB

Ok... so I started to play the Technos cart and thought of the ol' NES Double Dragon... I disliked it back in the day as I had the superior Master System version and played the heck out of that one!  So I thought it would be a quick try and leave it alone... well... I can't stop playing it.  I am certain I will play through this version in one go... played it here and there over the weekend and managed to get up to the green abobo guy today.  It has an interesting game mechanic with the hearts and move sets.  I like how you can use the enemy weapons against the enemy but it will end up costing you as you won't level up enough for later in the game.  It's these interesting choices that make this old game fun to play!

I also played a little V'Ball and Dodge Ball... both are fun as I remember back in the day.  Beat Dodge Ball on my first play (on Normal setting)... man that game is a lot of fun.  Also tried out Renegade briefly and I remember beating this on my NES in the 80's.  It will take some getting used to but I'm focused on Double Dragon first... lol.  

Have yet to play DD2, Super DD, Crash and the Boys and River City Ransom (this last title has been on my want to play list since the 90's when my buddy rented it and told me about it).

So overall, this cart has been worth the price of admission!  And I have some interesting titles to look forward to!

Oh and that Interplay collection has been sitting there in the shrinkwrap mocking me.  It's nice to have a backlog of games to look forward to!    Now.. whenever I do take the Technos cart out of the system... will  the DataEast collection go back in first?  I haven't played Magical Drop in a few days.  lol  I think I can hear it calling me!  

Hmm.. a Taito collection perhaps in the future with a Bust A Move title on it?  Yes please!!

• Like 2

It sounds like from what almost everyone has said here,this system and the games are definitely worth it at this price.

I have never played any of the Lynx games and a few from the other carts for this as well.

So there would be lots of new games for me!

18 minutes ago, Giles N said:

Anyone playing the EverCade who knows how to select/fire missiles if you play ‘Radar Lock’

for the 2600?

Just asking.

I’ve gotten to level 3 using ... guns

Hmm.. this is a two joystick game... the right controller is used to select your weapon.  As there is no second controller, perhaps the shoulder buttons to switch?  I'm not sure.  The instructions also state that if your weapon ammo is depleted, you will automatically move onto the next weapon type.  So if you burn up all of your machine gun ammo you should be switched to a missile of some sort, maybe?

I haven't played this one yet... but hopefully you can get this figured out!

13 minutes ago, Songbird said:

FYI Songbird is going to carry the Evercade system plus at least the two upcoming Lynx cartridges. ETA is Fall 2020. Interested? Want more cart selection? Be sure to let me know via email or PM. :)

Glad to know that you will be carrying the system and some of the games!  It gives me an additional option for ordering new titles!  I will be visiting your site a little more frequently!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wolfy62 said:

It sounds like from what almost everyone has said here,this system and the games are definitely worth it at this price.

I have never played any of the Lynx games and a few from the other carts for this as well.

So there would be lots of new games for me!

It's a fun system and, aside from the few glitches that I've experienced, is a nice addition to my library. I'm a Lynx fan through-and-through, though, and it's these upcoming two cartridge releases that will nudge this into "must-buy" territory, as you'll be able to play Lynx games in HDMI without having to buy a consolized Lynx. My only beefs with the Evercade are with its design: it's just not quite up to par with the dedicated handhelds, including the Lynx. It's fine for short bursts, but certainly isn't going to give the Vita (or even the Lynx II) a run for the title of most ergonomically pleasant play. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Giles N said:

Namco have released 2 collections for the Evercade.

Now, they have also released to other collections for the Switch - including many japanese-only releases.

What do you people here think; should Namco release volume 3 and 4 for the Evercade?

The Evercade is the only system (right now, in any case) that has the Lynx collections. Since this appears to be marketed as a niche retro gaming system, I'd rather see them focus on collections like that which aren't widely available on other platforms. That would certainly attract greater interest from this specific market segment, if not the industry as a whole.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

The Evercade is the only system (right now, in any case) that has the Lynx collections. Since this appears to be marketed as a niche retro gaming system, I'd rather see them focus on collections like that which aren't widely available on other platforms. That would certainly attract greater interest from this specific market segment, if not the industry as a whole.

I think a nice mix is ideal.. yes the unique B and maybe even C titles out there would do well on the Evercade, but having some A titles (perhaps included in the various collections) included is a great way to spread interest.  

As for Lynx goodies... I would love to see them get Xenophobe, STUN Runner and others in a future collection.  The collection with California Games is an agreement with Atari I take it?  (Songbird is only mentioned on the one collection with 17 games).  I'd like to see some Game Gear and Master System stuff... Wonder Boy in Monster Land was a reason for me to own a SMS.

They plan on having one or two more releases this year... wonder what kind of surprises they have in store for us!  An interesting note is that they had an interview looking down the road 3 years from launch and they plan on 50-100 carts released by then!  Certainly they have a lot in store for us!

33 minutes ago, King_Salamon said:

I think a nice mix is ideal.. yes the unique B and maybe even C titles out there would do well on the Evercade, but having some A titles (perhaps included in the various collections) included is a great way to spread interest.  

As for Lynx goodies... I would love to see them get Xenophobe, STUN Runner and others in a future collection.  The collection with California Games is an agreement with Atari I take it?  (Songbird is only mentioned on the one collection with 17 games).  I'd like to see some Game Gear and Master System stuff... Wonder Boy in Monster Land was a reason for me to own a SMS.

They plan on having one or two more releases this year... wonder what kind of surprises they have in store for us!  An interesting note is that they had an interview looking down the road 3 years from launch and they plan on 50-100 carts released by then!  Certainly they have a lot in store for us!

I hope so, and I dearly hope that they move into home comptuter territory. I would LOVE an A8 collection (or thirty), and ones for the TI, C64, CoCo 3, and Apple IIGS, as well.

4 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

I hope so, and I dearly hope that they move into home comptuter territory. I would LOVE an A8 collection (or thirty), and ones for the TI, C64, CoCo 3, and Apple IIGS, as well.

Well let's see.... with Blaze and Evercade being a European based company, I would think that they would have some desire to aim at some C64 or Amiga goodness... they also had the Speccy there and it was popular... could be interesting to see what they can manage to get.  I remember having disks and disks of C64 games years ago... a few carts of C64 goodness would be fun.  I guess this depends on the Evercade emulators for the computer games... a future Interplay collection would really open up the options!

The two in one cart (Xeno Crisis/Tanglewood) is getting close to one game on one cart territory.  I wonder what will be the first single game cart... although I like the idea of multiple games on each release.  It makes picking up each release easier as you will likely pick up each for at least one or two titles, and who knows what other hidden treasures you will find on that cart.  Xeno Crisis sold me on that particular release and if Tanglewood is even half-decent, I'll be more than pleased! 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Why shouldn’t Namco just release the remainder of titles for the Evercade; it would give them more money in the purse...

20 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Ok, fair ‘nough

Which other niche labels, games should be released for the Evercade?

48 minutes ago, Giles N said:

Why shouldn’t Namco just release the remainder of titles for the Evercade; it would give them more money in the purse...

They surely will if the sales will support it. I'm sure they'll be looking very, very closely at their next batch of releases.

Good points all around on the natural European focus of their potential market. I certainly wouldn't turn away a Spectrum multicart, and would love to see one for the Thomson M05/M06, Oric, and BBC models as well. Along, of course, with the first Sorcerer multicart. You know you want one.

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't sure about the Evercade at first. But I  did get one a few weeks ago when I found it at a local shop. And after the button mapping firmware I'm really happy with it.
The quality is amazing for it's price point. No complaints at all. And there are tons of games to play.
I'm enjoying playing it and I'll enjoy collecting for it too.

I'm also very eager to get Tanglewood for my Evercade!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wolfy62 said:

I just ordered my Evercade today!

Why?because I own a portion of almost every retro gaming system ever made except for a couple ,including the Lynx.

I never played any Clayfighter or Double Dragon games either.

I imagine I will really like this system. ??

Welcome to the world of Evercade Wolfy!  I think you will find some games that really surprise you... and more good than bad!  The price point all around allows people to really build a sizeable collection!

I did have a Lynx back in the day and played a bunch of titles on that system.  With the number of titles on the upcoming Lynx collections, there will be some old  favourites and some newly discovered games to enjoy!

I did play Clayfighter in the 90's... I enjoyed the humour and upon replaying it the other day... I remember what I don't like about this game, I'm terrible at it!  lol

As for Double Dragon and the whole Technos collection... it's a ton of fun!  I wasn't a fan of Double Dragon on the NES but upon learning the experience system, it's pretty cool!  I finished the first one on the Evercade and just started playing 2 this past week.

I think you will really like the system as well!  If you want more Evercade info... I would suggest checking out evercade.info for some cool information on the system!  There's even a forum setup there as well!

Enjoy the Evercade!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SegaDude said:

I wasn't sure about the Evercade at first. But I  did get one a few weeks ago when I found it at a local shop. And after the button mapping firmware I'm really happy with it.
The quality is amazing for it's price point. No complaints at all. And there are tons of games to play.
I'm enjoying playing it and I'll enjoy collecting for it too.

I'm also very eager to get Tanglewood for my Evercade!

Are you in the Toronto region?  I know VGP carries the Evercade (that's where I ordered my Evercade from).  I'm hoping to see Evercade product become more available and appear at local retailers here... in time perhaps.

I have Tanglewood/Xeno Crisis pre-ordered.. going to have fun with that collection for sure!

1 hour ago, King_Salamon said:

Welcome to the world of Evercade Wolfy!  I think you will find some games that really surprise you... and more good than bad!  The price point all around allows people to really build a sizeable collection!

I did have a Lynx back in the day and played a bunch of titles on that system.  With the number of titles on the upcoming Lynx collections, there will be some old  favourites and some newly discovered games to enjoy!

I did play Clayfighter in the 90's... I enjoyed the humour and upon replaying it the other day... I remember what I don't like about this game, I'm terrible at it!  lol

As for Double Dragon and the whole Technos collection... it's a ton of fun!  I wasn't a fan of Double Dragon on the NES but upon learning the experience system, it's pretty cool!  I finished the first one on the Evercade and just started playing 2 this past week.

I think you will really like the system as well!  If you want more Evercade info... I would suggest checking out evercade.info for some cool information on the system!  There's even a forum setup there as well!

Enjoy the Evercade!

Thank you for the welcoming message!

I kinda wish I had seen the bundle with the first 10 cartridges for just over $200.,that looks like the best deal.

It's ok though,3 carts and the system for $100. is pretty good too!

I should have it by Friday the 21st.

Hopefully,I love it and get hours of fun playing?.

And...I just registered on the other Evercade forum!?

Edited by wolfy62
Adding info.
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, King_Salamon said:

Are you in the Toronto region?  I know VGP carries the Evercade (that's where I ordered my Evercade from).  I'm hoping to see Evercade product become more available and appear at local retailers here... in time perhaps.

I have Tanglewood/Xeno Crisis pre-ordered.. going to have fun with that collection for sure!

Yes, you nailed! I did get mine from VGP. As far as I know they’re the only Canadian reseller. When I realized I didn’t have to deal with shipping and I could get it that day I bought my Evercade and two carts. Now I’ve pre-ordered all the rest from VGP.

Definitely the Evercade has a lot of possibilities, especially with systems like the Lynx or even the Neo Geo Pocket.  However, considering that I have ways to playing most of these games already, I am pretty good to go.  But, I do like the product and wish them well.  If they continue to cultivate and put together homebrew collections, I will give this a much stronger look.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hwlngmad said:

Definitely the Evercade has a lot of possibilities, especially with systems like the Lynx or even the Neo Geo Pocket.  However, considering that I have ways to playing most of these games already, I am pretty good to go.  But, I do like the product and wish them well.  If they continue to cultivate and put together homebrew collections, I will give this a much stronger look.

I still think that they need to tweak the shape of the existing unit, as it's not that easy to hold for long periods of time. And can the display be rotated? I also really hate the current layout out on the left; the d-pad and "Menu" buttons should be reversed.

That being said, I'm getting a fair amount of use out of mine because of the interesting collections that they've collated and how play differs on a handheld unit. Most of the 2600 games on the "Atari No. 1" cart are a bust (Centipede and Asteroids aside), but I was surprised to see how many of the 7800 games translate well to handheld action. Alien Brigade and Food Fight are particular standouts on the cart, and I certainly wouldn't be playing them at all otherwise because of bad memories of gameplay with the ProLines. Alien Brigade in particular is an underappreciated gem. And, yes, I decided to buy the DataEast cartridge because of Burgertime (which doesn't offer a great playing experience on the Evercade, truth be told)...but I stayed around for Magical Drop II. And I thought that I'd be spending my time with Earthworm Jim on Interplay I, but ditched him for Clayman and Incantation, which are much more fun as handheld players.

• Like 3