IGNORED

New Evercade Handheld System

999galaxyB

On 3/12/2021 at 6:31 PM, jgkspsx said:

The Oliver Twins compilation raised £11000 for the (British) National Video Game Museum: https://www.evercade.co.uk/evercade-and-the-oliver-twins-raise-over-11000-for-the-national-videogame-museum

Assuming that was an average selling title, that suggests that the Evercade has taken in around £150000 profit on cartridges so far. It seems like not much to run a business on.

I don't think that's how Evercade is making money... they make money on the carts and pay each of the game companies an amount for the licensing rights.  I'm thinking each of the licencees are making the 11k per cart to date.  Mind you, the initial 8 carts have likely made more money as they have been released for a longer period of time.  (With Atari Volume 1 being the highest selling cart as it's a pack in with every system I've seen).

Even at $150k for less than a year of operation... with the small team at Blaze... it seems like a good start.  Things are going well enough to usher in the Evercade Vs. in the not too distant future.  (Presumably a console version of the Evercade)  Oh and the long awaited arcade collections have yet to be released.  Those will do well... I will be grabbing those collections for sure (heh... come to think of it... I grab all the releases so far).

• Like 4

Snagged Namco 1 (2 is still sold out even overseas, despite Evercade's FB people telling me otherwise lol).

It's very good, if basically "what you expect".  I agree for the most part with Crow Continuum on the ratings, a lot of decent stuff.  I play mine handheld (not hooked up to a TV), so Battle Cars was definitely tough to see what was going on.  But having Dig Dug, Pac Man, Galaxian, Mappy, and Xevious at the ready is going to make for great fun on trips etc.  Even if they're the NES versions, they're decent.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2021 at 2:38 PM, Hwlngmad said:

On another note, the fact that Playstation 1 and Nintendo 64 are now considered "retro" makes me feel my age.

I don't have a problem with that. After all, 5th gen had lots of pixelation and often clunky controls (and it's my favorite console gen!).

With the PS2/Dreamcast/Game Cube/Xbox, that feeling is much stronger. And yes, those are officially retro since a few years ago. My mind feels like it's in a parallel universe when people talk about those games with awesome graphics such as Shenmue or Ico as "old school".

But wait, there's more: soon, very soon, the PS3 and the Xbox 360 are going to start being called "retro". Now that would be so weird that we will probably laugh nervously at it, instinctively.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Got my Jaleco and Piko 2 carts. Sure Jaleco released these games on virtually every digital download platform, but I still really love City Connection, Ignition Factor, Earth Defense Force, Operation Logic Bomb, and so on. Astyanax is new to me and I am enjoying it despite the rough edges. I haven’t played the Brawl Brothers games since my broke friends got one or the other from the Blockbuster sales shelf, but they may bring back some memories. I’ve never played Totally Rad and don’t know what to expect. For a b-list publisher I quite like this collection. I hope there’s another volume with more of my second tier favorites.

Piko 2 has some pretty shovelwareish looking games due to the removal of licensing. Beast Ball is Brutal Sports Football, Shut Up and Jam is missing Sir Charles, and I don’t know WHAT Racing Fever is. But despite the loooooose handling and extremely unprofessional presentation of Racing Fever I really dig it so far. Full Throttle All American Racing isn’t nearly as good as Road Rash but I enjoy it anyway. Eliminator Boat Racing is a knockout game graphically for the NES and a lot of fun. The Accolade Olympics games, Brutal Sports Football, Top Gear Racer 2, and good old Soccer Kid are probably the best games here, but for a compilation I knew was going to be towards the bottom of the preference list I am getting my money out of it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jgkspsx said:

due to the removal of licensing

I remember spending way too much time identifying the games (with just one screenshot from the Evercade web site) for the article I wanted to publish about the compilation.

Edited by roots.genoa
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As everyone expected, the Evercade Vs is a consolized Evercade. Surprises: custom UI, 2 game slots like the good old game(.)com, controllers have additional L2 and R2 buttons for Playstation games. Namco carts are blocked - not surprising but boo.

I think the industrial design is really nice. I love how fat the Evercade is - my hands don’t cramp up like they do with the Switch, the GBA SP, the DS, and so on - so I love the way the controllers mimic it. I am going to be preordering it.

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

As everyone expected, the Evercade Vs is a consolized Evercade. Surprises: custom UI, 2 game slots like the good old game(.)com, controllers have additional L2 and R2 buttons for Playstation games. Namco carts are blocked - not surprising but boo.

I think the industrial design is really nice. I love how fat the Evercade is - my hands don’t cramp up like they do with the Switch, the GBA SP, the DS, and so on - so I love the way the controllers mimic it. I am going to be preordering it.

Agree that I like it, and the style, love the two carts thing.  Pre-Ordered (currently just an email notification list).

Why is it expected that they block the Namco carts?  Grr.  Those are nice collections, dang it.

On 4/23/2021 at 12:43 PM, jgkspsx said:

Their licensing agreement with Namco was for a handheld only :(

Now,  that would be a weird thing, huh?  Considering the amount of times I've bought NAMCO Museum games, it's not an issue (I'd rather play the arcade versions if possible),...Just seems like something they would have thought of a long time ago...

• Like 1

On 4/25/2021 at 12:49 AM, GoldLeader said:

Now,  that would be a weird thing, huh?  Considering the amount of times I've bought NAMCO Museum games, it's not an issue (I'd rather play the arcade versions if possible),...Just seems like something they would have thought of a long time ago...

I'm guessing that the future arcade collections will include a Namco collection for the Vs System.  This will allow Namco to sell another collection on the Vs System of the arcade versions of the same titles.  Double your money, double your fun!  lol

Tomorrow is the Intellivision Collection reveal!  Looking forward to learning of the complete list.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...