IGNORED

New Evercade Handheld System

999galaxyB

That is pretty cool!

Even as I have a little handheld emulator machine, and a PSP with emus, and various handheld famiclones etc.,  I'm kind of a sucker for interesting licensed content...I wonder how many times I will end up buying Namco Museum games?  :lol: 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

The 2600 games are more limited, but you get access to a limited number from other consoles *they choose*. Best news is a 4.3 inch screen. Hopefully, the 7800 ones are not the rushed NES remakes from the first Atari Flashback with the NAOC. The 7800 titles were a good idea, but everything 7800 seemed oversized in the FB1.

• Like 1

It looks more expensive and limited than the parade of cheap emulation handhelds coming out of China nowadays. Licensed games and physical media distinguish this one, but the game selection doesn't do much for me -- especially since there doesn't seem to be a way to add your own stuff. 

It's nice that folks are interested in the 7800 games though. 

• Like 1

Update: I checked their twitter page and saw a notification confirming problems with processing credit card payments on the order site. So I used the PayPal link instead and my order went through properly. I snagged the black edition with three game carts. I think the red on black color scheme is way snazzier than the plain Jane white one. Anybody else getting one of these?

• Like 1

On 9/6/2019 at 8:25 AM, Scotterpop said:

Update: I checked their twitter page and saw a notification confirming problems with processing credit card payments on the order site. So I used the PayPal link instead and my order went through properly. I snagged the black edition with three game carts. I think the red on black color scheme is way snazzier than the plain Jane white one. Anybody else getting one of these?

I'm thinking about getting one of these but not until I read a few reviews about it. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Review units are starting to hit YouTube.  It looks like a legit product and I give them all the credit in the world for not playing the "crowdfunding circus" game, but... I really need a much better reason to buy another handheld.  The game selection is nice, but nothing I can't already get elsewhere.

That's my problem with it.  It seems nice, but it seems more work than its worth for yet another handheld that plays things already playable multiple places elsewhere already.  Maybe if the device allowed for a cart to add your own files to play sure, but as is, niche is being nice calling it that.

10 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

I agree with you guys. I love the handheld form factor, but my main concern is that most games are console ports and not the original arcade games.

This is something I did read on. There are not arcade port of the 10 cartridges at all. The Makers of Evercade claiming they are trying to have companies release arcade games by the end of the year. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, godslabrat said:

Review units are starting to hit YouTube.  It looks like a legit product and I give them all the credit in the world for not playing the "crowdfunding circus" game, but... I really need a much better reason to buy another handheld.  The game selection is nice, but nothing I can't already get elsewhere.

That is true, but I think Mega cat studios and Piko Interactive do not have the sale numbers as some of the other games members since they deal with the after market of game game consoles.  The after market newly released Sega Genesis games are not cheap and having them on Evercade cartridges is a good alternate route. Evercade games are going to cost $20.00 each that is cheaper than what Mega Cat Studios and Piko Interactive sell their games separately.

I thought Mega Cat is better on more people will have access to their games through Evercade. If you are an independent company, I think Evercade could help you out for getting the word that they make games for system that was discontinued. 

• Like 4

On 2/4/2020 at 5:41 PM, 8th lutz said:

That is true, but I think Mega cat studios and Piko Interactive do not have the sale numbers as some of the other games members since they deal with the after market of game game consoles.  The after market newly released Sega Genesis games are not cheap and having them on Evercade cartridges is a good alternate route. Evercade games are going to cost $20.00 each that is cheaper than what Mega Cat Studios and Piko Interactive sell their games separately.

I thought Mega Cat is better on more people will have access to their games through Evercade. If you are an independent company, I think Evercade could help you out for getting the word that they make games for system that was discontinued. 

I agree.  If they can get more collections from indies, this product would be a great way to play them a lot more cheaply than buying individually.

• Like 3

The Full Games List

1.       Scrapyard Dog

2.       Basketbrawl

3.       Super Asteroids / Missile Command®

4.       Awesome Golf

5.       Crystal Mines II: Buried Tresure

6.       CyberVirus

7.       Dracula the Undead

8.       Gordo 106

9.       Ishido: The Way of Stones

10.   Jimmy Connors Tennis

11.   Loopz

12.   Malibu Bikini Volleyball

13.   Megapak

14.   Power Factor

15.   Remnant

16.   Super Sqweek

17.   Xump

I went ahead & preordered this right before the Lynx cart announcement. I wasn't originally going to- the logic being 'I have the original hardware, I'll just buy original carts'. But then I saw MJR's review, which brought up one thing I didn't know- this thing is CHEAP! I got the all-in edition & added on the Technos cart. After shipping & converting to US dollars, I spent $220. For EVERYTHING! System, case, all 10 launch carts (that's 122 games), for less than what my copy of Magic Knight Rayearth on Saturn cost. That's just a mind boggling good deal to me. Especially given carts are only $20 each, this is something I could actually keep a full set for! I'm rather looking forward to it.

• Like 2

I see this is up for pre-order on Amazon as a bundle and there are already several separate game packs for it, which is good! I think the multi-game cartridge format is the way to go. It gives this system great flexibility unlike flashback consoles. I know some here might grump about physical media, but really, I don't think a system like this would hurt your space unless you live in a cubicle.

Myself, I want to hold back a little until I see some reviews. If it does well, I'll probably snag one myself.

Edited by simbalion
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Matthew Szewczyk said:

They just announced some new carts including the Atari Lynx Collection 1 which is awesome! I am glad that they did not sprinkle the Lynx games over other collections like they did with the 2600/7800 games!

AtariLynxCollection.jpg

I'm really surprised at the number of titles Evercade is digging out of Atari's archives. Not that it's a bad thing!

18 hours ago, HoshiChiri said:

I got the all-in edition & added on the Technos cart. After shipping & converting to US dollars, I spent $220. For EVERYTHING! System, case, all 10 launch carts (that's 122 games)

I did the same thing, I will have a nice stack of games to play when it comes out. Early reviews are great, it will be cool to see how it does.

• Like 1