IGNORED

General Discussion

Tillek

If you're here, you're interested in Atari-focused classic BBSing.  I thought it might be a good idea to create a club to help as a resource for archiving much of the information from the Atari BBS thread here on AtariAge so that it is easier for newcomers and veterans alike to be able to find information on calling or running BBSs.  Also, it can serve as a place to discuss and archive information that is a bit more in depth than what can be captured in a single all encompassing thread.

Feel free to introduce yourself, and if you have any ideas of things you'd like to see, just let us know! 

Thanks for creating the club Tillek! One advantage this club has over the BBS forum thread, is that we can use this as a repository for BBSing information. For example, the Resources section now has a couple posts that discuss how to connect to BBSs, etc.

Everyone, please let us know if you have any suggestions or requests for club content.

-JP

15 hours ago, JohnPolka said:

One advantage this club has over the BBS forum thread, is that we can use this as a repository for BBSing information. For example, the Resources section now has a couple posts that discuss how to connect to BBSs, etc.

Once I enable the Downloads module for the forum, there could also be a repository of BBS-related files. 

..Al

• Like 1

Thanks Albert.... and thank you for all your work on AtariAge....

One question... would it be possible to have some repository areas that are restricted to certain members?  Like perhaps, a section that is only available to SysOps, or for registered users of certain software?  If not, that's fine... Just thought there might be a need to have sections that have files that you might not want everyone to have access to, without having to have a closed club.....

And a big thank you to all who have posted so far.  One reason for doing this is that I think I've been "that guy" from time to time who isn't happy when people ask the same question for the 1000th time (even though it's the first for them) because it seems like every time it happens, it feels like it's going against the hard work for all the people who have taken so much time to thoughtfully and fully research and post the answer.  I just figured that if we can make it really easy to find these answers, it will be easier for both the prospective Users/SysOps, but also the veterans who don't have to re-invent the wheel and can just quickly find (and point to) the answer.

And if I'm not part of the solution, I'm part of the problem.... so here we are.

Also, if you all think there is a better way to organize the information, I'm totally open.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fierodoug5 said:

Thanx for putting this group together. As someone like me who just started BBS'ing this week, this has been very helpful!

Welcome!  Don't forget to check the links post under Resources for the Atari BBS list if you haven't already!

So when you say "just started this week", do you mean "never before" or "just restarted after about 20-30 years or so?"

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Fierodoug5 said:

Never before. My Friend had a Atari 800 in the early 80's and showed me BBS' a couple of times. Thats is my only memory of BBS. I asked my parents for a Atari computer for Christmas 81, they got us a 2600. 

I really hope you enjoy it.  Sometimes, there is nothing like just old-schooling it.

• Like 3

I really wish the calendar could be populated without it all appearing in the activity/overview thread, then the calendar would be like a nice thing on the desk instead of overtaking the entire desk...

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

I really wish the calendar could be populated without it all appearing in the activity thread, then the calendar would be like a nice thing on the desk instead of overtaking the entire desk...

@Albert is there a way to add entries, such as Calendar entries, without displaying them in the Club's Activity thread?

-JP

Edited by JohnPolka
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, JohnPolka said:

@Albert is there a way to add entries, such as Calendar entries, without displaying them in the Club's Activity thread?

I don't know. I'll need to take a look. Personally I'm enjoying getting the emails about all these calendar events being added since it reminds me about lots of interesting 8-bit history as I was heavily involved in the BBS scene back then. :)

..Al

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, JohnPolka said:

While we're on the topic of club functionality. Does anyone see the "BBS Images". They don't appear on my end. 

This is definitely broken and something I need to work on fixing. Don't know what's going on there. 

..Al

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Albert said:

This is definitely broken and something I need to work on fixing. Don't know what's going on there. 

..Al

Yeah John... I already got with him on this.  So we'll see how it goes.

• Like 2

Hello all: I am now running a telnet BBS on my old PC, gave up on running it under the Mega ST4, the advantage is that I am running Renegade 1.20, and my telnet address is 99.250.141.63 : port 23 I think, also have dialup under 1-226-647-0710. I am using a PC because I can run 500 GB , and I already have an Atari ST section, an Atari 8 Bit section, and an Atari Portfolio section, and max logon speed is 118,000 Baud (somewhere around there).    Renegade supports doors, I have 9 doors running so you can relive those door games days, or the uploading ands downloading days. My BBS is named Spy Visits Spy BBS, and I am The Master Spy. Hopefully I will be able to put Atari graphics online , I have the source, and it is written in Pascal, so I may modify it to suite my purposes. Russ

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rcamp48 said:

Hello all: I am now running a telnet BBS on my old PC, gave up on running it under the Mega ST4, the advantage is that I am running Renegade 1.20, and my telnet address is 99.250.141.63 : port 23 I think, also have dialup under 1-226-647-0710. I am using a PC because I can run 500 GB , and I already have an Atari ST section, an Atari 8 Bit section, and an Atari Portfolio section, and max logon speed is 118,000 Baud (somewhere around there).    Renegade supports doors, I have 9 doors running so you can relive those door games days, or the uploading ands downloading days. My BBS is named Spy Visits Spy BBS, and I am The Master Spy. Hopefully I will be able to put Atari graphics online , I have the source, and it is written in Pascal, so I may modify it to suite my purposes. Russ

Welcome! How long has your BBS been around? When did it last run under Atari hardware?

-JP

2 hours ago, rcamp48 said:

It's a shame you gave up running it on the Atari.  You might find many (or most) of us aren't really nostalgic about PC BBS's so I wish you the best, but hope you don't get too discouraged if things don't take off quickly.  Then again.... nothing "takes off quickly" in this hobby. ;)

• Like 2

On 6/27/2019 at 8:30 AM, Albert said:

Images are now working properly in Galleries. So feel free to add more images to this club now. :)

..Al

Thank you for all your great work... and especially for this.  Hope we weren't too much trouble,  Was this a site wide thing, or were we just an unlucky group?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tillek said:

Thank you for all your great work... and especially for this.  Hope we weren't too much trouble,  Was this a site wide thing, or were we just an unlucky group?

It was a site-wide Gallery issue.  The main Gallery wasn't working, either, and the Clubs take advantage of that functionality.  Invision fixed it early yesterday after I filed a support ticket.

..Al

• Like 2

On 6/28/2019 at 8:33 PM, Tillek said:

It's a shame you gave up running it on the Atari.  You might find many (or most) of us aren't really nostalgic about PC BBS's so I wish you the best, but hope you don't get too discouraged if things don't take off quickly.  Then again.... nothing "takes off quickly" in this hobby. ;)

Well, I have yet to give up on the Atari, I am having just as many problems with Renegade so I will go back to Forum ST and just run a  1 node BBS until I figure out ow to get Telnet working on the NetUSBEE. At least Forum ST works as a dial up BBS and connects Renegade does not , its too complicated to set up, and the general feedback that I am getting is KEEP it Atari, so I will do that. It should be up tonight , I have to plug all of the cables back into the Mega ST4 and get it set up again, but that should not take too long. Hey if you guys want a BBS that is 100 percent Atari then thats what I will do , and I hear my line is NOT VoIP, the tech said that , so thats maybe why my modem is working. 

Russ

Now that I am back to running an Atari ST BBS, is there anyone and I mean ANYONE that can help me get Telnet going properly on the NETUSBEE , I was running STING but had no luck, I could run an 8 Bit BBS when I get my starter kit from Steve (Should be here Tuesday). but I would be limited , again I am venturing into areas that nobody knows any thing about it seems.... oh well.... gonna try anyways.... Russ