IGNORED

Lantronix UDS-10 Modem Emulation Device

JohnPolka

The Lantronix UDS-10 is one of several devices that can be used to replace dial-up modems. On your computer, the device looks like a classic modem. The device has an RS232C port that connects to your computer and an Ethernet port that connects to a network router/switch. The unit accepts modem AT commands on the serial port, then establishes a network connection to the end device.

Attached is a short tutorial on setting up the Lantronix UDS-10 on Atari 8 bit computers.

lantronix-uds10-setup.pdf

• Like 3

I actually have a Buffalo wireless bridge.  Don't use it so much right now since I prefer wired connections and all my stuff is in the same room currently.... but it worked well when my mom was sick and I was living at home helping my sister take care of her.  They weren't about to let me drill through the walls, or lay patch cables from the upstairs (running along the stairs, across the floor, trip hazards....)

But it worked great with the Lantronix boxes I had attached to it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

John is your setup for use as a receiver bbs? or for calling?

I am trying to setup my UDS-100 now for receiving.

For the heck of it I am trying to get AMIS running. It is expecting and autoanswer Hayes. 

I have a DDNS.net account.. but not sure how to setup that to point to the UDS. 

Also when I run AMIS not get the response.. sort of that  I am expecting.. but since I dont know how to point the DDNS at the device yet.. not sure how to test it.

james

1 hour ago, Bikerbob said:

John is your setup for use as a receiver bbs? or for calling?

I am trying to setup my UDS-100 now for receiving.

For the heck of it I am trying to get AMIS running. It is expecting and autoanswer Hayes. 

I have a DDNS.net account.. but not sure how to setup that to point to the UDS. 

Also when I run AMIS not get the response.. sort of that  I am expecting.. but since I dont know how to point the DDNS at the device yet.. not sure how to test it.

james

I have successfully tested those settings with my BBS. That is, I have received connections with the Lantronix UDS-10 and those settings.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bikerbob said:

You have your DDNS.NET addresses - anything special needed on the Atari end?  How is the ports assigned?

James

You need a router that supports Dynamic DNS. Moreover, you need to use a Dynamic DNS provider that's supported by your router (my router supports no-ip.com). Your router will want your account login info for the Dynamic DNS provider. Once you have that set up, then it's just a matter of setting up the port forwarding in your router. That is, forward the incoming port to your UDS device port (which may or may not be the same port number).

-JP

Edited by JohnPolka

Ok I am using No-ip.com.. they have a program I can download and run as a service in the background on the windows machine.  the Router is a TP60 Archer TP-link.. it does port forwarding..

I did this years ago and did not need all this.. but I was just creating a domain front for my at home server.

Now with the port forwarding.. I know I can set the external port to whatever I want.. 8000 for example.. but how do I know what port the UDS is operating on?? in the Device installer program??

James

27 minutes ago, Bikerbob said:

Ok I am using No-ip.com.. they have a program I can download and run as a service in the background on the windows machine.  the Router is a TP60 Archer TP-link.. it does port forwarding..

I did this years ago and did not need all this.. but I was just creating a domain front for my at home server.

Now with the port forwarding.. I know I can set the external port to whatever I want.. 8000 for example.. but how do I know what port the UDS is operating on?? in the Device installer program??

James

Yes. Check the Device installer program or use the internal configuration program. With the UDS connected to a computer, you can load up a term program and enter XXX to access the internal configuration program. The device's port number is one of the settings (under channel 1 configuration). The default port on the UDS-10 is 10001. 

See also page 26 in the UDS-10/UDS-100 setup manual.

https://www.lantronix.com/wp-content/uploads/pdf/UDS10-UDS100_UG.pdf

-JP

Edited by JohnPolka
  • Like 1

So I was just on Parttime with my UDS-100 - took me a few tries to get online.. 

But when I did.. this is what I got.

parttime.thumb.jpg.40ca3e8686342e3980c7cbcd1659189f.jpg

So that is not good. This is my device installer page.. all the settings are as per your PDF.

deviceinstaller.thumb.jpg.ab10cba8c44c6b6a3a161450582b28be.jpg

I think everything on  the UDS100 side is ok.. I think this might be an atari issue.. but not sure.

So I am using a STOCK 800xl at the moment. Booted my BOBterm.atr via APE   PR: connt is the first device in the chain.  But could not get things to work using SpartaDos G or X 4.2? (cart)  Only using the does on the Bobterm ATR did it seem to load the R:handler properly. 

Now looking at your PDF and at the UDS manual.. it is saying connectmode for modem with no echo is C6.. you had 56 in your PDF.. is that correct??

James

Ok.. so figured out 56.. 

That is receive with active DTR

And full verbose modem mode.

This sounds right to me if i want to use it for both outgoing and incoming.

So maybe my issues are pr: connect atari.

I think i am going to open the cable (home made) and recheck connections. This used to work fine.

James

• 4 months later...
On 9/1/2019 at 10:56 AM, Bikerbob said:

Ok.. so figured out 56.. 

That is receive with active DTR

And full verbose modem mode.

This sounds right to me if i want to use it for both outgoing and incoming.

So maybe my issues are pr: connect atari.

I think i am going to open the cable (home made) and recheck connections. This used to work fine.

James

Any update?

• 2 weeks later...

I think I have everything working again John..   I have put it away, and I dont remember any issues when it was put away.. I have been dealing with my STs.. selling and re-arranging..

I have not done any hardware bbs stuff since.. I will get back to it though!!  Have to get my bbs up and running.. I hope Starfeet gets back up.. I miss it.

James

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So I know that John's guide is for 8-bit and I am doing this on 16bit.  above is supposed to say on 56 now. 

So DarkLord sent me his setup by email. going to try that tonight. see where that gets me.  REALLY I want this to run a BBS.. so the setup for the 10 more than anything is for receiving. not calling.

James

If DarkLord's settings work for you, then please post them here.

For what it's worth: I use my Lantronix UDS-10 on both the Atari 8 bit and Atari 16 bit. I don't have to change UDS-10 settings between the two computers.

But of course, use whatever works for you and share it here. 

-JP

So I have 3 devices. 2 UDS and 1 MSS  - MSS seems to work fine as far as I can tell.

Both UDS have the same issue on 4 different systems now.   8-bit Atari 16-bit Atari (2) and Dell D610 laptop with real serial port.

It is DDUUPPLLICACATTIINNGG every character I type.. BUT - I am pretty sure I only see it on my end.. because I was able to log on to Alcatraz .. now any of JPs boards no.. but Alcatraz accepted my name and password and in the menu system as well..

I have factory reset everything many times..  ATE and ATV I cant see having any positive effect because then I dont see what I am doing.. but I could try ATE0

Connection I have tried 56 and D6

Disconnect I have tried C1 and 81

But both devices going bad the same way???   Also there was different serial cables (MSS nullmodem) involved so it is not the cabling.

pretty much out of ideas.

James

So I get them working .. both the UDS-10 and the UDS-100.. and then decide it would be cool to see the Amiga on the BBSs .. so plug it into the Amiga and the main power CAP on the UDS-100 blows...   Guess it was an Atari only device.. CRAP!!

$2 Cap.. I cant buy anywhere right now local.. Either wait or figure out something else to add to an order to Digikey.. :)

There is 5x mss-100 on ebay right now for $100 for the Lot.. maybe I do that.. and then have some to sell off later to get people into BBSing :)

James

BTW, no idea how many times I did try it, or if it was me changing some setting to something that allowed this to work.. but the specific setting that allowed the UDS-10(0) to work was connect D6 and Disconnect 81.. no other combo worked.

James

• 2 years later...

Just as a note to finish this.. if you are having issues with the double characters echoing - and you cannot get any changes to the configuration to work. Reset the UDS device to factory settings.. and then set the settings again. I needed to do the factory reset, and I was able to get it working, no amount of adjustments once I had the issue fixed it - without the reset.