JohnPolka

Lantronix UDS-10 Modem Emulation Device

The Lantronix UDS-10 is one of several devices that can be used to replace dial-up modems. On your computer, the device looks like a classic modem. The device has an RS232C port that connects to your computer and an Ethernet port that connects to a network router/switch. The unit accepts modem AT commands on the serial port, then establishes a network connection to the end device.

Attached is a short tutorial on setting up the Lantronix UDS-10 on Atari 8 bit computers.

lantronix-uds10-setup.pdf

• Like 3

Yes, the UDS-10 is a great little device.  I used to use mine with a WiFi bridge on my classic computer.

UDS & Vonets.JPG

• Like 1

I actually have a Buffalo wireless bridge.  Don't use it so much right now since I prefer wired connections and all my stuff is in the same room currently.... but it worked well when my mom was sick and I was living at home helping my sister take care of her.  They weren't about to let me drill through the walls, or lay patch cables from the upstairs (running along the stairs, across the floor, trip hazards....)

But it worked great with the Lantronix boxes I had attached to it.

• Like 2

Here's the latest version of my Lantronix UDS-10 tutorial. It includes a description on selecting raw mode versus telnet mode for your BBS connections. 

-JP

lantronix-uds10-setup.pdf

• Like 3

On 6/18/2019 at 12:19 AM, --- Ω --- said:

Yes, the UDS-10 is a great little device.  I used to use mine with a WiFi bridge on my classic computer.

UDS & Vonets.JPG

I bought 2 of those Vonets wifi bridges on ebay.. neither worked.. stopped trying.

James

John is your setup for use as a receiver bbs? or for calling?

I am trying to setup my UDS-100 now for receiving.

For the heck of it I am trying to get AMIS running. It is expecting and autoanswer Hayes. 

I have a DDNS.net account.. but not sure how to setup that to point to the UDS. 

Also when I run AMIS not get the response.. sort of that  I am expecting.. but since I dont know how to point the DDNS at the device yet.. not sure how to test it.

james

1 hour ago, Bikerbob said:

John is your setup for use as a receiver bbs? or for calling?

I am trying to setup my UDS-100 now for receiving.

For the heck of it I am trying to get AMIS running. It is expecting and autoanswer Hayes. 

I have a DDNS.net account.. but not sure how to setup that to point to the UDS. 

Also when I run AMIS not get the response.. sort of that  I am expecting.. but since I dont know how to point the DDNS at the device yet.. not sure how to test it.

james

I have successfully tested those settings with my BBS. That is, I have received connections with the Lantronix UDS-10 and those settings.

• Like 1

You have your DDNS.NET addresses - anything special needed on the Atari end?  How is the ports assigned?

James

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Bikerbob said:

You have your DDNS.NET addresses - anything special needed on the Atari end?  How is the ports assigned?

James

You need a router that supports Dynamic DNS. Moreover, you need to use a Dynamic DNS provider that's supported by your router (my router supports no-ip.com). Your router will want your account login info for the Dynamic DNS provider. Once you have that set up, then it's just a matter of setting up the port forwarding in your router. That is, forward the incoming port to your UDS device port (which may or may not be the same port number).

-JP

Edited by JohnPolka

Ok I am using No-ip.com.. they have a program I can download and run as a service in the background on the windows machine.  the Router is a TP60 Archer TP-link.. it does port forwarding..

I did this years ago and did not need all this.. but I was just creating a domain front for my at home server.

Now with the port forwarding.. I know I can set the external port to whatever I want.. 8000 for example.. but how do I know what port the UDS is operating on?? in the Device installer program??

James

27 minutes ago, Bikerbob said:

Ok I am using No-ip.com.. they have a program I can download and run as a service in the background on the windows machine.  the Router is a TP60 Archer TP-link.. it does port forwarding..

I did this years ago and did not need all this.. but I was just creating a domain front for my at home server.

Now with the port forwarding.. I know I can set the external port to whatever I want.. 8000 for example.. but how do I know what port the UDS is operating on?? in the Device installer program??

James

Yes. Check the Device installer program or use the internal configuration program. With the UDS connected to a computer, you can load up a term program and enter XXX to access the internal configuration program. The device's port number is one of the settings (under channel 1 configuration). The default port on the UDS-10 is 10001. 

See also page 26 in the UDS-10/UDS-100 setup manual.

https://www.lantronix.com/wp-content/uploads/pdf/UDS10-UDS100_UG.pdf

-JP

Edited by JohnPolka
  • Like 1

So I was just on Parttime with my UDS-100 - took me a few tries to get online.. 

But when I did.. this is what I got.

parttime.thumb.jpg.40ca3e8686342e3980c7cbcd1659189f.jpg

So that is not good. This is my device installer page.. all the settings are as per your PDF.

deviceinstaller.thumb.jpg.ab10cba8c44c6b6a3a161450582b28be.jpg

I think everything on  the UDS100 side is ok.. I think this might be an atari issue.. but not sure.

So I am using a STOCK 800xl at the moment. Booted my BOBterm.atr via APE   PR: connt is the first device in the chain.  But could not get things to work using SpartaDos G or X 4.2? (cart)  Only using the does on the Bobterm ATR did it seem to load the R:handler properly. 

Now looking at your PDF and at the UDS manual.. it is saying connectmode for modem with no echo is C6.. you had 56 in your PDF.. is that correct??

James

It's possible they aren't the same between the UDS-10 and 100 maybe?

Ok.. so figured out 56.. 

That is receive with active DTR

And full verbose modem mode.

This sounds right to me if i want to use it for both outgoing and incoming.

So maybe my issues are pr: connect atari.

I think i am going to open the cable (home made) and recheck connections. This used to work fine.

James