IGNORED

Mechatronic 80 Column Card (Side Card)

globeron

The document tells to connect the TI-99/4A DIN Audio Out to the SCART pin #2 (audio right). It is a bad idead... Following the audio standard, the good wiring is to use SCART pin #6 (audio left and monophonic ) thus both monophonic and stereophonic monitors get sounds. If you wire to SCART pin #2 (audio right) and you use a monophonic monitor you'll have many chance to get no sound.

• Like 1

I like to play with the Mechatronic 80 col card I acquired recently, fully cleaned and restored.
Ronald, do you recognize it? I made some modifications ^^

mechatronic80c-1.jpg

We can obtain some lovely pictures like this:

scully2.jpg

I made a web page dedicated to the Mechatronic 80 col card, here: http://www.ti99.com/ti/index.php?article147/mechatronic-80-columns

Edited by fabrice montupet
  • Like 5

16 minutes ago, fabrice montupet said:

I like to play with the Mechatronic 80 col card I acquired recently, fully cleaned and restored.
Ronald, do you recognize it? I made some modifications ^^

mechatronic80c-1.jpg

We can obtain some lovely pictures like this:

scully2.jpg

I made a web page dedicated to the Mechatronic 80 col card, here: http://www.ti99.com/ti/index.php?article147/mechatronic-80-columns

Oh my! wow you completely cleaned it up and added the button + led light and adjusted the 2x reset buttons.

It looks very neat! Also I like your dedicated webpage with the "before" and "after" pictures.

Last Saturday at the TI-GG gathering,  I did a quick 80 column demo with the Mechatronic board that belongs

to the Dutch TI-GG  (now in possession by another TI-GG member).

Also I found diskettes for the 80-col, but I need to go through it, last Saturday we did not had the DS/DD controller

to test it, but I can dump diskettes here if I see something not covered yet in this thread.

Yesterday I did some tests, 

1. with a big TV  ?

2. FinalGrom with FbForth  (works), note FG requires 32K, which comes from the NanoPEB (it works)

3. But I cannot access the diskdrive of the NanoPeb F18 V1  (it locks-up)

(e.g. in ExBas it loads the file mgr, it shows the bluescreen, but not the menu)

The NanoPeb works when I connect it to another computer, like my TI with F18A built-in.

Fred Kaal mentioned that it might be that the NanoPeb V1 is adjusted for the F18 ?

and that's the reason it does not work for the Mechatronic 80 Col. ?

20191130_084921.thumb.jpg.b589ba2adf9d7399ac007569fb4439e0.jpg

20191130_084828.thumb.jpg.a37dd369aa521ee4ebbd93af0f649ff6.jpg

1 hour ago, mizapf said:

Do you have these pictures in MyArt format?

Although MyArt is installed on the SCSI hard drive connected to my Geneve setup, I never really used it and I didn't see a tool to convert GIF files to MyArt format. Is it exists? in fact, I never asked myself the question.

All the pictures displayed are 16M colors pictures taken on Internet that I have converted to GIF 87a format and played thanks to the G99 program for the 99/4A.

1 hour ago, fabrice montupet said:

Although MyArt is installed on the SCSI hard drive connected to my Geneve setup, I never really used it and I didn't see a tool to convert GIF files to MyArt format. Is it exists? in fact, I never asked myself the question.

All the pictures displayed are 16M colors pictures taken on Internet that I have converted to GIF 87a format and played thanks to the G99 program for the 99/4A.

To the Geneve there is a MDOS program called GIF2EXE, you can convert GIF to MyArt with that.

Well, we can do even better with this 80 columns Mechatronic :)
Basically, I used  16M colors pictures taken on the internet that I converted to GIF89A and changed their header to make them compatible with the G99 viewer on TI-99 / 4A.
The thing is that I used a standard Mac/PC 256-color GIF palette. In my photo editing software, I created a palette equivalent to the one of the V9938 and I saved the file again in GIF, injected into the 99 / 4A and redone a screenshot. The result is better:

scully3.jpg

Note that the picture is even better when we see it on the screen (the iPhone 6 used to take the picture can't manage to restitute the reality)

Edited by fabrice montupet
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, mizapf said:

OK, I found a program GIF2 in CAT25 on the 9640News HD image. The DOCS says "GIF2 / By Paul Charlton / Manual by Chris Bobbitt". You are referring that one, right?

My memory isn´t the best right now, but the names sounds familiar. I have no idea why the it´s called GIF2EXE on my disk.  I have the program on the same disk as YAPP, but why it´s there I really don´t know. I guess the owner before me made that disk.

I load the program and then use the commands USE A:FILENAME or B:Filename if it´s in DSK2   - then the command DISPLAY to view the picture. To change graphics mode the commands M0 and M1 are used if I remember correct. It´been a while since I played with it, my Geneve is not unpacked since a the move.

There should be a SAVE command that allow you to save in MyArt format.

As Beery mentioned Picture Transfer should be able to convert, but I don´t have that program... I´ve searched among my disks.

Edited by Nick99

1 hour ago, fabrice montupet said:

Well, we can do even better with this 80 columns Mechatronic :)
Basically, I used  16M colors pictures taken on the internet that I converted to GIF89A and changed their header to make them compatible with the G99 viewer on TI-99 / 4A.
The thing is that I used a standard Mac/PC 256-color GIF palette. In my photo editing software, I created a palette equivalent to the one of the V9938 and I saved the file again in GIF, injected into the 99 / 4A and redone a screenshot. The result is better:

scully3.jpg

Note that the picture is even better when we see it on the screen (the iPhone 6 used to take the picture can't manage to restitute the reality)

Wow, amazing result!

I must ask you how you create a palette equivalent to the V9938?, I´ve used to play around in photoshop but really don´t know what colors that match the V9938.

So the GIFs I have isn´t even close to this!

11 hours ago, fabrice montupet said:

I would like to know if a Mechatronic 80 col card peripheral that uses the I/O color bus of the V9938 exists?  Myarc used it for controlling the mouse for its Geneve 9640 but there are plenty other possibilities like video digitalization.

Another picture of my Mechatronic 80 col card:

mechatronic80c_setup.jpg

It is beautiful, Fabrice. Nice system.

On 12/3/2019 at 12:20 AM, fabrice montupet said:

I would like to know if a Mechatronic 80 col card peripheral that uses the I/O color bus of the V9938 exists?  Myarc used it for controlling the mouse for its Geneve 9640 but there are plenty other possibilities like video digitalization.

Another picture of my Mechatronic 80 col card:

mechatronic80c_setup.jpg

hmmmmmmmm, can I use the Mechatonik-80 with the Atronic CPS99 ?