Jump to content
globeron

Mechatronic 80 Column Card (Side Card)

Recommended Posts

I saw there is a hand-sketched schematic in the manual. Maybe someone would like to redraw that in a better readable way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The document tells to connect the TI-99/4A DIN Audio Out to the SCART pin #2 (audio right). It is a bad idead... Following the audio standard, the good wiring is to use SCART pin #6 (audio left and monophonic ) thus both monophonic and stereophonic monitors get sounds. If you wire to SCART pin #2 (audio right) and you use a monophonic monitor you'll have many chance to get no sound.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like to play with the Mechatronic 80 col card I acquired recently, fully cleaned and restored.
Ronald, do you recognize it? I made some modifications ^^

mechatronic80c-1.jpg

 

We can obtain some lovely pictures like this:

scully2.jpg


I made a web page dedicated to the Mechatronic 80 col card, here: http://www.ti99.com/ti/index.php?article147/mechatronic-80-columns

Edited by fabrice montupet
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, fabrice montupet said:

I like to play with the Mechatronic 80 col card I acquired recently, fully cleaned and restored.
Ronald, do you recognize it? I made some modifications ^^

mechatronic80c-1.jpg

 

We can obtain some lovely pictures like this:

scully2.jpg


I made a web page dedicated to the Mechatronic 80 col card, here: http://www.ti99.com/ti/index.php?article147/mechatronic-80-columns

 

Oh my! wow you completely cleaned it up and added the button + led light and adjusted the 2x reset buttons.

It looks very neat! Also I like your dedicated webpage with the "before" and "after" pictures.

 

Last Saturday at the TI-GG gathering,  I did a quick 80 column demo with the Mechatronic board that belongs

to the Dutch TI-GG  (now in possession by another TI-GG member).

 

Also I found diskettes for the 80-col, but I need to go through it, last Saturday we did not had the DS/DD controller

to test it, but I can dump diskettes here if I see something not covered yet in this thread.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, globeron said:

Also I found diskettes for the 80-col,

 

🥰 🤩 🐼 Needed, wanted, .... :)

Edited by Schmitzi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Yesterday I did some tests, 

1. with a big TV  🙂

 

2. FinalGrom with FbForth  (works), note FG requires 32K, which comes from the NanoPEB (it works)

 

3. But I cannot access the diskdrive of the NanoPeb F18 V1  (it locks-up)

    (e.g. in ExBas it loads the file mgr, it shows the bluescreen, but not the menu)

    The NanoPeb works when I connect it to another computer, like my TI with F18A built-in.

   

    Fred Kaal mentioned that it might be that the NanoPeb V1 is adjusted for the F18 ?

    and that's the reason it does not work for the Mechatronic 80 Col. ?

    

20191130_084921.thumb.jpg.b589ba2adf9d7399ac007569fb4439e0.jpg

20191130_084828.thumb.jpg.a37dd369aa521ee4ebbd93af0f649ff6.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mizapf said:

Do you have these pictures in MyArt format?

Although MyArt is installed on the SCSI hard drive connected to my Geneve setup, I never really used it and I didn't see a tool to convert GIF files to MyArt format. Is it exists? in fact, I never asked myself the question.

All the pictures displayed are 16M colors pictures taken on Internet that I have converted to GIF 87a format and played thanks to the G99 program for the 99/4A.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Globeron: Thanks! And did you notice the hinge that I have added that permits to open the top cover of the extension without having to unplug it and remove the screws?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd just like to see those pictures on my Geneve, where I have MyArt and YAPP. Are they G6 (color palette 16 of 512) or G7 pictures (256 colors)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, fabrice montupet said:

Although MyArt is installed on the SCSI hard drive connected to my Geneve setup, I never really used it and I didn't see a tool to convert GIF files to MyArt format. Is it exists? in fact, I never asked myself the question.

All the pictures displayed are 16M colors pictures taken on Internet that I have converted to GIF 87a format and played thanks to the G99 program for the 99/4A.

To the Geneve there is a MDOS program called GIF2EXE, you can convert GIF to MyArt with that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, I found a program GIF2 in CAT25 on the 9640News HD image. The DOCS says "GIF2 / By Paul Charlton / Manual by Chris Bobbitt". You are referring that one, right?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, we can do even better with this 80 columns Mechatronic :)
Basically, I used  16M colors pictures taken on the internet that I converted to GIF89A and changed their header to make them compatible with the G99 viewer on TI-99 / 4A.
The thing is that I used a standard Mac/PC 256-color GIF palette. In my photo editing software, I created a palette equivalent to the one of the V9938 and I saved the file again in GIF, injected into the 99 / 4A and redone a screenshot. The result is better:

scully3.jpg

 

Note that the picture is even better when we see it on the screen (the iPhone 6 used to take the picture can't manage to restitute the reality)

Edited by fabrice montupet
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Geneve had a program called Picture Transfer written by Paul Charlton that he sold.  Filenames were PICT and PICU.  As I recall, it would convert GIF files to Myart.  I think it would go the other way as well.

 

Beery

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mizapf said:

OK, I found a program GIF2 in CAT25 on the 9640News HD image. The DOCS says "GIF2 / By Paul Charlton / Manual by Chris Bobbitt". You are referring that one, right?

 

My memory isn´t the best right now, but the names sounds familiar. I have no idea why the it´s called GIF2EXE on my disk.  I have the program on the same disk as YAPP, but why it´s there I really don´t know. I guess the owner before me made that disk.

I load the program and then use the commands USE A:FILENAME or B:Filename if it´s in DSK2   - then the command DISPLAY to view the picture. To change graphics mode the commands M0 and M1 are used if I remember correct. It´been a while since I played with it, my Geneve is not unpacked since a the move.

There should be a SAVE command that allow you to save in MyArt format.

 

As Beery mentioned Picture Transfer should be able to convert, but I don´t have that program... I´ve searched among my disks.

Edited by Nick99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fabrice montupet said:

Well, we can do even better with this 80 columns Mechatronic :)
Basically, I used  16M colors pictures taken on the internet that I converted to GIF89A and changed their header to make them compatible with the G99 viewer on TI-99 / 4A.
The thing is that I used a standard Mac/PC 256-color GIF palette. In my photo editing software, I created a palette equivalent to the one of the V9938 and I saved the file again in GIF, injected into the 99 / 4A and redone a screenshot. The result is better:

scully3.jpg

 

Note that the picture is even better when we see it on the screen (the iPhone 6 used to take the picture can't manage to restitute the reality)

Wow, amazing result!

I must ask you how you create a palette equivalent to the V9938?, I´ve used to play around in photoshop but really don´t know what colors that match the V9938.

So the GIFs I have isn´t even close to this!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to know if a Mechatronic 80 col card peripheral that uses the I/O color bus of the V9938 exists?  Myarc used it for controlling the mouse for its Geneve 9640 but there are plenty other possibilities like video digitalization.

Another picture of my Mechatronic 80 col card:

mechatronic80c_setup.jpg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, fabrice montupet said:

I would like to know if a Mechatronic 80 col card peripheral that uses the I/O color bus of the V9938 exists?  Myarc used it for controlling the mouse for its Geneve 9640 but there are plenty other possibilities like video digitalization.

Another picture of my Mechatronic 80 col card:

mechatronic80c_setup.jpg

It is beautiful, Fabrice. Nice system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2019 at 12:20 AM, fabrice montupet said:

I would like to know if a Mechatronic 80 col card peripheral that uses the I/O color bus of the V9938 exists?  Myarc used it for controlling the mouse for its Geneve 9640 but there are plenty other possibilities like video digitalization.

Another picture of my Mechatronic 80 col card:

mechatronic80c_setup.jpg

 

hmmmmmmmm, can I use the Mechatonik-80 with the Atronic CPS99 ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...