IGNORED

Sega CD flashcart is now for sale!

Punisher5.0

12 hours ago, derFunkenstein said:

For reference, can you say when you placed the order? That might help the rest of us figure out when ours will go out. 

Here is my complete timeline, I hope it helps:

June-17, 4:30 PM EDT, Ordered

August-3 "In Transit" email, inactive DHL Link

August-12 "Sent to DHL for Processing" email, DHL link still inactive.

August-21 DHL tracking active, "Shipment picked up"

Monday, August 26th, Package delivered to east coast USA, no signature required.

As for the actual MegaSD, I like it but there are some questions and I do have a concern that I'll need to look into a little bit more. First I'd like to know how to provide the extra information that can be displayed for each game in the MegaSD menu. There's nothing I could find addressing it except some suggestions that a tool might be provided in the future as was done with TO's other flashcarts.

I played a little bit of Final Fight and the sprite flicker seemed worse than I remember, especially on the second area of the first stage. I'll need to look into this more, it could be the CD image I have or something relating to the MegaSG I'm using. I'll try the actual CD on a real system, compare, and possibly create my own rip if the behavior is different. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, derFunkenstein said:

So it was a little over two months, but the majority of that time was spent in the preorder window, since they weren't even going to be shipping until early August initially.

Yeah, anything before the august 3rd email I don't really count as shipping time. I really put that in there so you could gauge where I was in any sort of order queue, if such a thing existed.

With regards to the Final Fight issue I was seeing, it doesn't appear to be a problem with the MegaSD but rather the MegaSG and it only came to my attention because until now, I haven't played any CD games through the MegaSG.

The issue: On the second part of the first stage of Final Fight CD, where you've moved into the subway. There is a shade of green background that flickers. It can be a bit uncomfortable but YMMV.

I've attached a table of the results, some combinations are not possible.

Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 10.05.40 PM.png

Todd said in the TO forums that ANYBODY with an outstanding order should "Ship" in the next week or so. I guess we'll see. I was hoping to write a review about this thing (perhaps not as in-depth as my Mega Sg or mClassic reviews, but still more in-depth than 80% of the YouTubers who got free carts to generate hype), but by the time I get it and write it, the only thing anybody will remember is the shipping fiasco. 

2 hours ago, derFunkenstein said:

Got my tracking number. Ordered on 7/30, tendered to customs on 9/5. Likely arrival still looking like shortly before October. Not bad for something that was "in stock" on 7/30 when I ordered. LOL

It was in stock. Just took a long time for it to be accepted by DHL and clear customs due to the sheer volume of MegaSDs being shipped in a short period of time. Which was already explained to you. 

Either way, glad to hear it. So now we won't have to hear you complain about it any more.

2 hours ago, nick3092 said:

It was in stock. Just took a long time for it to be accepted by DHL and clear customs due to the sheer volume of MegaSDs being shipped in a short period of time. Which was already explained to you. 

That's actually not at all true. Todd said on the TO forums that Alex was packing them this week. 

https://forums.terraonion.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1066&start=240#p5329

Anyone waiting on an order to be shipped, Alex will start packing them tomorrow and by mid next week we expect to have all orders shipped.

(emphasis mine, written yesterday so "tomorrow" means actually today that he finally packed a bunch of orders because he moved to a backwater tax shelter non-EU nation and didn't do any research about whether it was capable of handling his business first) 

I mean, you're free to excuse their garbage, and I'm free to complain as a paying customer. 

Edited by derFunkenstein

If DHL/customs was so far behind, does it matter if your order was packed 4 weeks ago or yesterday? Nope.

Also, blaming it on them moving to Andorra is a pretty weak argument. I ordered a JagSD out of England. Which is extremely far from a backwater tax haven. Yet my package got held up for a little over a week and half by Royal Mail.

Did I blame Saint? Nope. Because I know it's not his fault. Just like it's not TOs fault that Andorra customs couldn't keep up. Not to mention, who cares where they live? That is solely their right to choose, even if it inconveniences you. Which is your problem, not theirs. 

Saint easily sold 500-600 JagSDs in the first two days. He only had about 80ish ready to go. And yet I don't see anyone over in the Jag forum complaining about not getting theirs immediately like you. In fact, most posts there are supportive of him saying they are more than happy to wait their turn to be shipped.

Honestly, it's crappy/entitled attitudes like yours that make these small company/single owners question if it's even worth making these niche hobby products. And if they stop making them, then everyone loses.

• Like 1

The difference is that Saint is a pretty awesome dude who engages the community and was up-front about everything, including availability. Terraonion was none of that and they feign innocence. They had no idea moving to a country where their shipping partner didn't operate was a bad idea, but their decisions are not their fault. It's like that whole "quality can't be measured" nonsense, they own none of their screw-ups. If anybody else had created this thing, or if anybody else announced that they had one in the works, I'd have waited for them. They're completely incapable of NOT f***ing up their own product launches.

I *wanted* to buy from an honest company, but the only one selling the product I wanted was TerraOnion. It's like shopping at Wal-Mart when you live in a small town. You're stuck with whatever you can get. 

Honestly, we've been over this repeatedly. You don't like my complaining? Don't read my posts. :) Or do you work for TO and you're here spinning for them?

Edited by derFunkenstein

I don't work for TO or have any connection to them. Don't even have any of their products. Although in the future I probably will pick up both a SSD3 and MegaSD. So I don't have a horse in the race here. 

I just saw you in here spouting off entitled BS about what a terrible company they are, and you should have the product in hand immediately, etc. When in reality, I (and probably a lot of other people) disagree about them being terrible and understand the shipping issues. 

If you actually think about all the factors, there is no issue. No one got ripped off. Everyone is eventually getting their product. You were just being entitled, impatient, and bad mouthing them for what I can tell is mostly about their choice of country to live in. 

Which I'm sorry that their choice of where to live and do business somehow massively inconvenienced you. I guess everyone selling something you want should just live where they can ship to you in 2 days or less? Or, better yet, you can accept that people don't need to live where it's convenient for you. 

And it's not like you didn't have other options. Like go buy a MegaED and a SegaCD instead. Or design and make one yourself. Or go hire someone else to design and make one for you. Or wait till the inevitable mass rush of orders for a shiny new toy were cleared out before ordering. 

This is a very niche hobby product. You were acting like they were withholding insulin from a diabetic or something. It's a toy, a hobby. You should be glad they even made the thing at all, because there are not that many people who have the skill and interest in even doing so. They are a very small company and not Amazon delivering mass produced items same day from a warehouse 10 miles from you.

And to reenforce my point in my last post, when people start going off on illogical tangents like that, it's going to potentially discourage other people from creating niche products like this in the future because of attitudes like yours.

You refuse to accept this is how the global economy and small companies work in regards to niche and non-essential products. And it's clear you are never going to listen to reason. Along with the fact you'll have it soon enough now, there is no point in continuing to try and change your mind.

So I'm tapping out. Enjoy your shiny new non-essential/non-life saving toy that took a month to ship half way around the world from a 3 person company in a tiny country. I look forward to your future rants the next time TO creates a new product that you want and order.

Edited by nick3092
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RevQuixo said:

It took me almost a year to get my PS-IO.  It's been what 3 or 4 months since I peordered the GBA Consolizer.  This is the nature of the beast with these hobbyist projects. 

I totally understand on these, because those project maintainers are communicative about the status. TO has been basically silent. 

I mean, I've given lots of people money over time. Never had a problem with Mobiusstriptech, iFixRetro, VideogamePerfection, Castlemania Games, Insurrection Industries, HD Retrovision, Krikzz, RetroHQ, or any of the others I've given money to over the years. Also SignGuy81 on the AA forums did some work for me, and was very open and communicative, even though it took a while. I've got receipts for purchases from all of those, and they've all been outstanding. Most of these are smaller than TO, too. A bunch of one-man or two-man operations in that list. 

TerraOnion is a whole different ballgame. All anybody wants is transparency. They just refuse. 

Edited by derFunkenstein

• 2 months later...

Mine showed up and it was fine. For the most part it just works. I just couldn’t get over the bad ordering experience and bad flavor left in my mouth from dealing with terra onion so I ebayed it after a few weeks. It worked as advertised, though. 

krikzz is demoing his own Sega CD flash cart on Twitter right now. I’m gonna hang on to a real Sega CD until that starts shipping. 

Edited by derFunkenstein

Thank You for the reply derFunkenstein. 

Even if I got it I dont think I could part with my JVC model 1 that I recapped and put a new drive belt on. I'm sure other Sega fans can relate to how cool a model 1 Genesis on to of a model 1 Sega CD looks.