IGNORED

Help....Atari 800 "Mosaic 64K RAM Card" docs?

griff3125

I just acquired an Atari 800 with a Mosiac 64K Ram Card installed. I don't know much about it apart from what I googled,

I think it's mainly used as a ram disk and there were certain apps that could take advantage of the extra memory (atariwriter).

I do have the "Superdisk" utility that came with it so I can setup a ram disk, but it sadly lacks any detailed info.

Does anyone have any docs on this card, specifically, I'm curious about what the install entailed and what changes were made to the motherboard.

I ask because I'd like to know where the wires are going and what was changed in the event I want to yank the board in the future.

Thanks much in advance for any insight.

No DOC files come up (at least on the first page of search engine) for it, but this will help you some:

https://www.atariarchives.org/creativeatari/The_Mosaic_64K_RAM_Card.php

I am currently planning on building my own DIY version of this board as well as a couple other memory board mods contained on boards with only a few un-pluggable wires to the mobo so they can be easily interchanged depending on what I want (at least until I can get my hands on an Incognito board).

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

@sm3 beat me to it by a couple seconds!

Side note to anyone: how do you properly tag someone? It's not working for me, as I do it on other boards anyway, with just the "@" symbol ahead of the name...

Edited by Gunstar

You can find a few items from Mosaic on archive.org as well if you want to look there, but nothing about the 64K board directly. They do have some of the newsletters I believe that might be useful and of course the manual for a 32K board.

On 6/19/2019 at 10:51 AM, Gunstar said:

@sm3 beat me to it by a couple seconds!

Side note to anyone: how do you properly tag someone? It's not working for me, as I do it on other boards anyway, with just the "@" symbol ahead of the name...

Not sure what a tag is, but I always used to use quotes like above.

Can't say if that option was here yesterday either, it's going to

take some getting used to, that's for sure.

My problem with these quotes is I can't reconstruct with html

to my liking and purpose. OR the button/method to do that is

unknown to me as of yet.

• Thanks 1

Wynn Smith, the creator of the Mosaic memory upgrade products, was interviewed on the Antic Interview Podcast #259:

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-259-wynn-smith-mosaic-electronics

The normal Atari 800 memory map maxxed out at 48K of RAM, 10K of ROM, and 2KB for hardware registers, leaving an unused 4KB block. To access the remaining 16KB of RAM on the 64KB mosaic board, it was divided into 4 4KB banks that mapped into that unused 4KB block of RAM, and provided a hardware register to control which bank was active.

Regarding the tagging, it’s supposedly a new feature now with the forum upgrade.

• You can now tag someone in a post by prefixing their username with "@". For instance, if you want to tag me, you'd type "@Albert" and then choose my username from the popup that appears. This will cause my username to be highlighted in blue and I'll receive a notification that I was tagged in a post (or elsewhere).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sm3 said:

Regarding the tagging, it’s supposedly a new feature now with the forum upgrade.

• You can now tag someone in a post by prefixing their username with "@". For instance, if you want to tag me, you'd type "@Albert" and then choose my username from the popup that appears. This will cause my username to be highlighted in blue and I'll receive a notification that I was tagged in a post (or elsewhere).

That's what I was attempting, but I wasn't choosing the user name from a list, just typing "@Albert" (example)because that is how it works on another forum I moderate. I will try it by selecting you're name from the list. Testing: @sm3

Edited by Gunstar

1 hour ago, Gunstar said:

That's what I was attempting, but I wasn't choosing the user name from a list, just typing "@Albert" (example)because that is how it works on another forum I moderate. I will try it by selecting you're name from the list. Testing: @sm3

@Gunstar Yep, that worked! I see a notification now for it.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...