IGNORED

GONE

hoserama99

1 hour ago, hoserama99 said:

A PowerMac 7300/200.

One of those was my daily driver for close to ten years.  Great little system.  Apple wouldn't dream of making something so expandable and long-lasting today.  My humble opinion, of course!

Good luck unloading this stuff.  I have a friend in Phoenix, but I doubt he'd want to store anything indefinitely for me. :)

1 minute ago, FujiSkunk said:

One of those was my daily driver for close to ten years.  Great little system.  Apple wouldn't dream of making something so expandable and long-lasting today.  My humble opinion, of course!

The new Mac Pro is quite expandable, probably more so than those old PowerMacs.  Unfortunately, it's also quite expensive relative to those 7300/200s, even adjusted for inflation. 

I still have an older (tower) 2009 Mac Pro I'm using, although not as my daily driver.  Those are also quite expandable and I've upgraded the RAM (has 48GB at the moment), video card (using a fast PC PCIe card), processor (has a six core Xeon), installed a four-port USB 3.1 card (makes external backups much faster), Airport card (did not come with one!), a PCIe card with two more Gigabit ethernet jacks (for four total), 1TB SSD (just put that in recently), and two SATA HDs (with room for more).  I also upgraded the firmware, which was necessary to upgrade the processor.  Currently have High Sierra on it.  Not sure if I'll install Mojave, which I'm not using yet on any of my machines.  Still a reasonably fast machine given its age. 

..Al

2 minutes ago, Albert said:

The new Mac Pro is quite expandable, probably more so than those old PowerMacs.  Unfortunately, it's also quite expensive relative to those 7300/200s, even adjusted for inflation. 

I still have an older (tower) 2009 Mac Pro I'm using, although not as my daily driver.  Those are also quite expandable and I've upgraded the RAM (has 48GB at the moment), video card (using a fast PC PCIe card), processor (has a six core Xeon), installed a four-port USB 3.1 card (makes external backups much faster), Airport card (did not come with one!), a PCIe card with two more Gigabit ethernet jacks (for four total), 1TB SSD (just put that in recently), and two SATA HDs (with room for more).  I also upgraded the firmware, which was necessary to upgrade the processor.  Currently have High Sierra on it.  Not sure if I'll install Mojave, which I'm not using yet on any of my machines.  Still a reasonably fast machine given its age. 

..Al

Yeah those old 'cheese grater' Macs have really held up nicely compared to some of Apple's other systems.  I was hoping to snag one cheaply to toy around with but they're still kind of pricey given their age.  

I think technology has advanced far enough that people can actually use a 10 year old computer as their daily driver as long as they don't need cutting edge speed. Heck I'm still using the PC I built back in 2008 as my main PC.

Yes, depending on what you're doing, you can use an old Mac for quite some time.  The biggest problem becomes not being able to run the latest versions of macOS.  I was able to upgrade to High Sierra with no issues on that ten year old machine.  Installing Mojave would require a workaround, but still not difficult (at least for the more technically inclined).  No idea if that'll be the case with the new Catalina OS.  And this only really is a problem if you're trying to use apps that are no longer supported in an older version of the OS. 

If you need to do 4K (or 8K!!) video editing, yeah, you probably wouldn't still be using that machine..   And that new Mac Pro is a beast.  I'm willing to bet you'll be able to option that sucker up to $40,000 with those crazy video cards they're making for it (not to mention the 28 core CPU and 1.5TB of RAM...) 

..Al

6 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

@hoserama99 try freecycle? Last time I had a haul of stuff like that, the local university’s electrical engineering department sent someone to fetch it all. I’ll bet you could find takers this way, and you can be choosy about who gets it (no flakes — must leave time you’ll pick up, etc)

https://www.freecycle.org/browse/US/Arizona

Thanks! I wasn't aware of them. I'll give it a week or so on here then see about posting there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hoserama99 said:

I've updated the list to remove some items (thanks Cole!) and add a few more that I forgot to mention.

Thank you!
I have already put the mac book and that iMac to good use, they ended up going to my brother and his finance. :)

I am going to put out a post on the Facebook Apple Collector group for the rest.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Keatah said:

Freecycle! Thanks for the reminder. I'm beginning my Apple II collection reduction and have the first load completed. Just don't want to go through the hassle of arranging individual buy/sell/trades and all that.

That reminds me that I also need to figure out what to do with an old ImageWriter I and a giant stack of tractor-feed paper!

• Haha 1

Updated again to reflect what's left. Only a few good items left, and a few pretty crappy items. ;)

I'd also like to once again say that I'm extremely grateful to everyone who has helped me out with this. I've said this to a few folks now, but I have zero qualms if anyone (re)sells any of this stuff, because frankly I couldn't be bothered, particularly for those large and heavy items.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hoserama99 said:

Updated again to reflect what's left. Only a few good items left, and a few pretty crappy items. ;)

I'd also like to once again say that I'm extremely grateful to everyone who has helped me out with this. I've said this to a few folks now, but I have zero qualms if anyone (re)sells any of this stuff, because frankly I couldn't be bothered, particularly for those large and heavy items.

Glad to see you've had interest in these items.  I'm sure everyone will appreciate them, and if they do get sold, the end recipients will be getting something they want!  Very generous of you. :)

..Al

• Like 2

10 hours ago, hoserama99 said:

I'm actually kind of excited to use the items I got from you. I've always had a love/hate relationship with the Mac but that "snow" design aesthetic era is probably my second favorite after the Apple II era, and I've never owned anything from that era before. I might even buy a new battery for that iBook. It'll just be fun to play around with, as will the iMac and PowerMac (if I can find room to set them up).

Thanks again!

• Like 2