IGNORED

New Page 'Scrolling Animation'

Tempest

There is an option in the skins to disable AJAX pagination (which is what this is), which would cause a complete page reload when going between pages.  Reloading the page is more resource intensive for the server and takes longer since you're reloading the entire page (sending more data and doing more queries).  Not sure how easy it would be to just remove the animation, but I think the main reason for doing that is to give you some visual indication that data has reloaded.  Might be a bit confusing if the page appears to just jump back to the top.  I would probably be more inclined to just use normal page loading than get rid of the animation while keeping the AJAX refresh. 

..Al

5 minutes ago, Albert said:

There is an option in the skins to disable AJAX pagination (which is what this is), which would cause a complete page when going between pages.  Reloading the page is more resource intensive for the server and takes longer since you're reloading the entire page (sending more data and doing more queries).  Not sure how easy it would be to just remove the animation, but I think the main reason for doing that is to give you some visual indication that data has reloaded.  Might be a bit confusing if the page appears to just jump back to the top. 

Ok that explains it. Thanks for the detail.Ok that explains it. Thanks for the detail.

4 minutes ago, Albert said:

I would probably be more inclined to just use normal page loading than get rid of the animation while keeping the AJAX refresh. 

That would probably work best.  Sort of a compromise.

• Like 1

This functionality seems buggy.  If I am on the last page of a thread, and it's showing say, 3 posts, and hit 'back", it does the scroll to the top thing but only shows 3 posts from the previous page, instead of the entire page of posts.  I have to hit refresh to make it display properly. 

I also noticed that the "click on the last page of a thread thread and go to the last unread post" functionality is broken too, UNLESS you click a thread title on a sub-page link.  then it works.   Otherwise, it just takes you to the top of the last page and you have to manually scroll down to find the unread posts.  If I click a thread title, it just starts on the first page.

I noticed that quotations were broken after the upgrade for all posts before the upgrade day, but checking now that seems to be fixed now.

I'm probably going to turn off the AJAX page loads.  Not really a big fan of them.

As for the "last unread post" functionality, I'll need to do some testing, as that's something that should be working properly.  However, forum content is still being rebuilt, but it hopefully won't take too long now before all the background tasks have completed.  Until then, I'm not going to report issues to Invision, as some that I have reported resolved on their own as these processes have run.  

The broken quotes (as well as missing attachments and images,  as well as some other issues) were a result of the posts having to be rebuilt.  Most of that is done now, but there are still a ton of other tasks in the queue that are being run.  Some can run in parallel, others depend on previous tasks having been completed first.  Because Invision rewrote this software from scratch as of version 4.0.0 (we were running 3.4.8, and now we're on 4.4.4), they had to do a significant amount of processing to upgrade forums from the 3.4.x system to 4.0.  This processing requires scripts to load the data one row at a time, massage it as necessary, and then write it out to the database.  The posts table itself is over four million rows, and there are over one million private messages (and I think 600,000+ conversations).  And there are tons of other tables. 

Fortunately this only needs to be done once.  At least until Invision writes version 5.0 of the software, although I doubt 5.0 will be as significant an upgrade as 3.x to 4.0. 

Here's the tasks at the top of the queue...

Screen Shot 2019-06-22 at 7.10.56 PM.png

After looking at the database and digging into how these are run, it looks like all the "queue" tasks have a priority.  I believe all tasks at the same priority level can be run at the same time.  Priority starts at "1" (which were the first tasks run), and when all Priority 1 tasks run, then it moves onto Priority 2 tasks, and so forth.. 

Thanks for pointing out the issues, I appreciate it.

..Al

• Like 1